Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:22:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690856
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Machine Guns in VSF?  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Machine Guns in VSF?
« on: April 17, 2010, 04:05:53 AM »
I know that most of you use Gatlings and Norfields to fight the infantry. But I saw that some use Machine guns too.
Maxim Gun was introdiced in 1889 so its Late VSF weapon.
My question is how does Gatlings and Norfields can exist in same VSF world if MG is better?

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Machine Guns in VSF?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 04:12:08 AM »
In the games I've played a MG, be it Gatling, Maxim, Nordenfeldt etc are used pretty generically and tend to use the same stats.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 04:20:12 AM »
National Pride of Their brand of weapon? High Jinxs in procurment department of armies?
Some General likes a particular weapon period?   :)
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 05:17:50 AM »
I play GASLIGHT and the stats are for light, medium and heavy MG's. Type really doesn't come into it. It's whatever looks good to the person playing as far as I'm concerned. It is VSF so pretty much anything goes.

Offline Mastermaul

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:27:13 AM »
Generally accepted machine guns for VSF are the Gatling, Nordenfelt, Colt, and Maxim/Maxim Variants.

I prefer water cooled machine guns over their multi-barreled brethren.

To answer your question, people have wholly different views of VSF. Some prefer earlier times, some later.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 07:06:38 AM »

It is possible? Tho' a very late VSF weapon to have Cei-Rigotti automatic rifles (1900 circa)..........This is after all VSF,you could think of them as rifle ranged broomhandle mausers. :D 8) :-* Some say that they were tested doing the Boer War,I have my doubts?
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 09:40:28 AM »
I am going to use Gatling and Nordfild for Brits, Maxim for Russianss, Mitraliese for Frenchies.

Offline Laflin and Rand

• Scientist
    • Curses from the Workbench
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 12:46:16 PM »
Of course, this being VSF, alternative or "high tech" weapons are perfectly possible to show up before their time. Think steam tanks.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »
As to specific machine guns, in the rules Valor, Steel and Flesh, all are refrered to commonly as :   Guns That Fire Many TImes Promiscuously   :)

former user

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 05:46:32 PM »
I don't see a problem either

Offline Patron Zero

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 12:17:42 AM »
Not commonly known but Dr.Gatling had a few interesting variants of his famous gun, one a steam-powered version and the electrically driven.

I'm thinking WWI battlefields would have been a different place either device had been deployed.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 12:42:50 AM »
My questoon was only because I know the real life characteristic of Gatling and Maxim.
BUT!
As far as I can see, VSF wargame rules are not VERY HISTORICAL. I mean weapoun characteristic are different that their real life analogs. Remember Zulu and Zulu Dawn movies? Close ordered british unit with very accurate quick firing rifles can easily wipe out many zulus. Now Imagine European War in that period. For example Prussian close ordered unit try to bayonet charge the brits. Aim! Fire! Aim! Fire! Aim Fire! Prussians are gone. And now add mashine guns to battle. If enemy will develop trench (and they know  about it, because it was use in ACW and in Crimea) this will be begining of trench warfare. Also because rifle is more acqurate and have wider firing range than musket, camouflaged units will get and advantage. So say goodbay to close order formations, field musicians and colouring uniforms.
Because of quick firing guns, mashine guns and rifles, say goodbuy to many cavalry tactics...

But in VSF all these units cvan live together because thir weapon does not  same characterisitcs than real life analogs. 

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 01:50:25 AM »
So say goodbay to close order formations, field musicians and colouring uniforms.
Because of quick firing guns, mashine guns and rifles, say goodbuy to many cavalry tactics... 

The Russo-Japanese War is a very good indicator as to what a european war might have been like. A very interesting war to read about and the first to have machine guns used as an offensive weapon.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 03:09:02 AM »
Russians MG's in this war was very interesting. I mean they was on artillery trails. But dont forget that RJW has magazine rifles and 1870-1880 single shot rifles :)

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 03:13:54 AM »
Colorful uniforms, strange Riveted machines and lots of steam powered gadgets = VSF.
As to the rifle vs close formation, the american civil war demonstrated that close formations were doomed, but the training manuals didnt change. The accuracy alone, though slower firing, devestated attacking formations that did not have direct cannon fire support which lessened casualties some..... I agree that the high rate of accurate rifle fire does in our games decimate formations in the open indeed. Valor Steel and Flesh rules set. So often the 2 sides take what cover they can and volley back and forth. All sorts of variations occur but thats the jist of it.