Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Our combine VSF universe!  (Read 5952 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Our combine VSF universe!
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:02:05 PM »
Can somebody tell me if I am right?

Our VSF Universe (GASLIGHT, AERONEF Space 1889 etc) are mix of real history and VSF era books (and moredn VSF books)

* So Earth is like real Earth in late 19 century but with steam mashinesand manoo  VSF goodies.
* There are Lost World with dinosaure somewhere in Jungles. Also You can find many interesting creatures in Africa and Amazon
* Earth is holow
* There are life on most Solar System Planets:
    * Mars are desert with canals, nomands, citiest wich are remnants of ancient civilization, and Cephalopod race with tripods
    * Venus are covered with jungles with dinos

My question are:
    * What about Mercury?
    * What about Gas Giand moons
    * Are there are dinos and cavemans in Hollow Earth or you can find something else there?

I know that all of these is a mix of VSF books, but I just want to see you ideas. By the way, I have an Idea of making Jupiters moon Europa an snow cowered world with Mammoths!

Offline Mr. Burning

• Librarian
Re: Our combine VSF universe!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
It really is a case of whatever you think happens can happen.

I'm all for for dinos and mammoths on other planets. Jupiters moons would make ideal places for VSF inspired action to take place.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »
In Space 1889 Mercury is mostly uninhabitable. A burning hell on one side, a frozen one on the other (it always keeps the same face towards the sun in Space 1889, much as our moon does to us, though I think modern science has decided that isn't actually the case now). It does however have a narrow strip running around the planet where day meets night called the Twilight Zone, where the "World River" encircles the entire globe and there is life. The Brits have a scientific station there, but there is no other intelligent life (that has been discovered yet). What is there is quite primitive, lots of nasty things like serpents, giant poisonous centipedes, nasty squid-like creatures, etc.

Earth's Moon has air beneath the surface in places, and is home to the insect-like Selenites, and also there is the Land of the Moon Men, a separate massive cavern home to the Eleven Cities of the Moon Men. They are not natives of Earth's moon, but came from Vulcan, the destroyed planet which now forms the asteroid belt. They are scientifically advanced and have big bald heads like the Mekon.

Don't have anything on the Gas Giants. Don't know if they were ever covered in detail as I don't have all the books.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:32:16 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »
Can somebody tell me if I am right?

You're not right, or wrong. Victorian Science Fiction is whatever you want it to be. I base my universe on the novels of Wells and other period fiction. Things change sporadically. Sometimes we can get to Mars, sometimes we can't. Don't worry about the specifics. Just make it up as you go along! None of it really happened anyway!

Lots of people here have ideas about VSF that that I disagree with alot; for example; more than one race on Mars - that's just silly! There is no universal VSF idea.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:43:45 PM »
I like that some put Tripods, Barsoum races and Space 1889 races on Mars all together. I like Mars being like in Leigh Brackett Mars novels. By the way, I've just get Space 1889 books. They are suppuse to be a good inspiration resource.

I have I crazy Idea about Atlantis. I saw that you use Azteks for atlantead. So what about this: long time ago Atlantis was great civilization wich loom like mix of Aztaks and Egypt. But after their scientiest (or priests) experiment with space/time it... disapears from Erth face and appears into dimentional "pocket". Now Atlantis and surrounding waters are in another dimention. But you can visit it! If you move your steamboat into Bermuda Triangle you will enter space/time warp zone wich can transport you on Alantis... The problem is that leaving Atlantis is not such easy, baceuse of aggressive Atlaniens who dont want outher world to know about them.
Why Bermuda Triangle? Because This was a place for atlantis island before cataclism!

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »
I also have a crazy ide of making Jupiters moon Europa... Ice Age world with mammoths and viking like inhabitants.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 06:52:29 AM »
I haven't read much of it yet, but the moon was once inhabited according to Edison's Conquest of Mars. Definately a book worth picking up if you are a VSF fanatic. I'm already planning a fleet of Earth-ships like the ones in the book (illustrated).

Don't forget the Venusian Parrotmen!!!  :)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 07:15:48 AM »
Venusian Parrotmen?? I thouh it only inhabinant by Dinos and Lisaedmen?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 12:35:46 PM »

I have I crazy Idea about Atlantis. I saw that you use Azteks for atlantead. So what about this: long time ago Atlantis was great civilization wich loom like mix of Aztaks and Egypt. But after their scientiest (or priests) experiment with space/time it... disapears from Erth face and appears into dimentional "pocket". Now Atlantis and surrounding waters are in another dimention. But you can visit it! If you move your steamboat into Bermuda Triangle you will enter space/time warp zone wich can transport you on Alantis... The problem is that leaving Atlantis is not such easy, baceuse of aggressive Atlaniens who dont want outher world to know about them.
Why Bermuda Triangle? Because This was a place for atlantis island before cataclism!

Well, that's not very different in many respects to what's 'known' about Atlantis in the Atlantis campaign.

The short version is that Atlantis did exist in a 'dimensional pocket' after the Fall (about 10,000BC more or less) until 'now' (ie, 1890). For the Atlanteans, no time has passed; they don't know why all the stars are in different constellations. They are indeed are perturbed that 'the stars are strange' and 'strange times have come'.

But I haven't allowed for the possibility of travel to and from in the meantime. Perhaps though there might be places where time runs strangely 'warp zones' as you put it.

Venusian Parrotmen?? I thouh it only inhabinant by Dinos and Lisaedmen?

It can be inhabited by giant beings made of mint-flavoured jelly if you wish. I think the Parrotmen came from the fevered imagination of Dewbakuk, and some of this stuff can be found in this thread here (link).

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »
My VSF universe is different....

;)
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »
My VSF universe is different....

;)

I think any universe with you in it is different...

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »
The great thing about VSF is you can make it into what ever you wish.  In the games we play I use Space 1889 as the base with the colour coming from great books on the topic, Wells, Verne, Burroughs and the like. Colonialism in the Solar System is going strong.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 12:11:11 AM »
If colonials have asscess to space traveling - colonial era will never end. Maybe I will scratchbuild some of Russian Colonial Troops, because Russia does not have any colonies in 19 century :(

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:19:37 AM »
Ahh, but they might in a VSF C19... ;) ;) ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
...because Russia does not have any colonies in 19 century :(

Other than all them "Stans": Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, etc.

What are they, chopped liver?  :)

Edited because I said Uzbekistan twice. As far as I am aware, there has only ever been one Uzbekistan.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:07:55 PM by Plynkes »