Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:00:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690913
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: DALEK QUESTIONS  (Read 5677 times)

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
DALEK QUESTIONS
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »
Hi
Might be playing a game using some dalek figures this weekend and i have a few questions.
1 Are Daleks armoured ? Does it take more than small arms fire to take them out?
2 Apart from when they are flying (which i don't think we will use) do Daleks move at about a human pace? I'm trying to remember if iv'e seen one moving fast.
3 Does the Dalek weapon effect vehicles and or hard targets such as buildings, as well as just kiling living things?

thanks for the help in advance
Dex

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: DALEK QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »
the casings are made of Dalekanium or Polycarbide armour depending on the story... I think Polcarbide is the more common one... new series Daleks also have an energy field that stops small arms fire completely... but the armour alone was usually enough against small arms fire... you should allow for aimed shots at the eyepiece as a weak point to blind the Dalek...

human pace is normal... no really fast speed for them on the ground

the energy weapon is capable of destroying vehicles and buildings

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:19:11 PM »
Thanks for the fast response
So against older style Daleks humans would need AP rounds or things like LAWS or RPGS if they have no energy weapons?

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
I think it depends which era of Dalek your going to concentrate on. The earlier ones were pretty vulnerable, as despite their armour, you could still take them out by hitting them with a post office van!

In some of the books they are described as being able to move really fast, but you never really see that on the early TV shows due to there being some bloke stuck inside. In one of the films I recall a Dalek speeds down a slope in a quarry somewhere and they cut the film just before it crashes. I think they are meant to be able to move quite fast.
Expert in ancient artefacts, occult civilisations and phoney baloney technobabble!

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 01:11:57 PM »
I remeber in older Dr.Who episodes, some humans used a huge laser cannon agaisnt the Daleks before being overwealmed, and there was some sci fi DJ that used a sonic weapon agaisnt them before being killed (anyone else see a pattern here?). Also Ace used home made bombs against them to some effect I believe.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 01:19:26 PM »
New series daleks are significantly tougher than the classic - certainly in the way we stat them for DWMG.

They have a high Defence stat, then the forcefield and then an Armour Save for the Dalekanium shell.

Both types and their variants are stated and available for free download over on the Doctor Who Miniatures Game website if it helps to compare.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:25:08 PM »
Also Ace used home made bombs against them to some effect I believe.

And a baseball bat powered up by the Hand of Rassilon [Edit: that should be "... of Omega"] and an anti-tank rocket stolen from the RAF regiment, I think (Remembrance of the Daleks).

Basically, it depends on the needs of the story. 

From 2005-2010 (Ecclestone/Tennant), fully-powered Daleks were pretty much invulnerable to anything except the most high-tech of weaponry.  In Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks, they have no force-fields and we hear shotgun pellets pinging off their armour, but the only things that destroy one are guns they have built themselves.  But in this month's Victory of the Daleks (Smith), we were expected to believe that a Spitfire's Vickers guns could destroy a Dalek spaceship with its shields down.

In the original run, Daleks could be invulnerable to the best explosives humans could devise (The Dalek Invasion of Earth - Hartnell), or they could blow up when hit with sticks (Death to the Daleks - Pertwee).  In Resurrection of the Daleks (Davison), they are bullet-proof but explode when dropped from a second-storey window.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:48:18 PM by Steve F »
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
There was also an incident (also with Ace) involving a baseball bat, but it had been enhanced by a MacGuffin Artifact of Doom to be that effective.  Before it broke.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
Yeah, the bat had been enhanced by the 'Hand of Rassilon', a weapon only useble by timelords...... and Ace...... wonder where that arc was headed....
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
Yeah, the bat had been enhanced by the 'Hand of Rassilon', a weapon only useble by timelords...... and Ace...... wonder where that arc was headed....

IIRC, she did go on in the books to study on Gallifrey and then became a Time Agent....so, maybe there was a little Time Lord in her... lol

*sigh* I miss Ace. Amy is wearing very very thin on me this season...

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
The spitfires were enhanced with Dalek weapon systems, so more than a match for a dalek ship.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 05:18:48 PM »
I don't remember ever seeing the Hartnell 'Dalek Invasion of Earth' but I do remember reading the book and the Daleks were tough in that. The human resitance fighters had been working on some new high-explosive that was supposed to crack their carapace but was ineffective.

Generally I'd say that only a very lucky shot with small arms should be able to take out a Dalek, and then just by taking out its eye-socket; at which point it should probably randomly shoot while spinning or otherwise randomly moving for a little bit, and possibly then explode through overheating or something (it over-charges its weapon in a sudden crisis of non-superiority, let's say).

Dalek weapons should be able to take Dalek armour I believe.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 07:24:45 PM »
I always consider the Black and white ones to damm scary, they crept up behinde people, the space agent spying onthem got caught and  im sure alot more just turned round to see one of the metal buggers there, and got the last words they heard,"Exterminate"...

yes im that old

Tony

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »

Dalek weapons should be able to take Dalek armour I believe.

"In Remembrance of the Daleks" there was a mini Dalek civil war (black vs white Daleks) were they were blowing each other apart if I remember correctly. I seem to remember one with a mini tank turret and gun.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:37:44 PM by ushistoryprof »

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 08:25:49 PM »
"In Remembrance of the Daleks" there was a mini Dalek civil war (black vs white Daleks) were they were blowing each other apart if I remember correctly. I seem to remember on with a mini tant turret and gun.

I think that's called the Heavy Weapon Dalek. I believe it was its only appearance