Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:03:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Why do you think it is many people find weird WW2 scenarios so interesting?  (Read 7239 times)

Offline frontal assault

• Librarian
As the question in the title says, why do you think people are attracted to the idea of a weird world war two?

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
For me I get to use all those cool toys that didn't get used historicaly(Maus,E1oo,Pershings,Centurions) and the Westwind SOTR models. Plus you don't have to worry about button counters ruining your day lol

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
Because weird futuristic Nazi weapons are cool.

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Heroes that wear flags, badguys with masks, busty shewolves, fantastic action, cool super-tech and a whole bunch of explosions.  What's not to like?

My personal favorite scenario that I have ever played.
http://whattheminiatures.com/forum/index.php?topic=360.0

Brian
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:18:09 AM by Kampfgruppe Cottrell »
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
I think WW 2 was the defining event of the last century.

Plus, it's the last war where the good guys and the bad guys were clearly illustrated.

Nazi's make the ultimate bad guys.  Hilter and his cronies did delve into the occult, which adds credence to the weirdness.

From the British resolve, to the waking of the American Giant, it's just ripe for storylines.

Plus, werewolves in camo look AWESOME!

former user

I simply don't have any idea!
Totally beyond my grasp!  :)

The only guess I could possibly have is that many things that happened during WWII are so totally beyond what normal sane people would do that it might be a recent way of trying to understand it - by giving it the "black and white" fantasy/SF cliché.

However, entering further into this interpretation would not be the purpose of this place, so I'll abstain from doing it  :)

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Possibilities:
--While the actual historical events were the most "adventure" many of the participants would ever want, two generations of historians have made it Boring.

--The historical story has already been told.  What a lot of people (me) want when playing a game is a new story to tell.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
The same reason people do VSF, They already have to basic figures (regular troops and vehicles) and just need to add a few more special figures to use their army for WWWII. Gamers can be frugal at times and getting a second use out of figures apeals to some. That is why I don't get into it, I don't already have a bunch of real WWII figures and vehicles.

Offline Mr. Burning

• Librarian
Like many I enjoy the 'what if..' aspects that WWW2 brings to the table:

Advanced weapons that failed to make their impact felt.
Cool super science.
Leanings toward the occult.

What ifs also cover events, politics and persons from the war.

All in all there is great scope not just for sci fi romps but to change the course of history.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Hmmm for me...
For most Germans WW 2 is the forbidden era to play. It is OK for an American to play a SS army, in Germany you can not even buy SS minis.
They are cleverly disguised as “German Elite troops” etc. FoW has to cover all Swastikas in their publications, the list goes on...
And to honest, it is perfectly OK when looking at the known historical facts. To play WW 2 you have to add a twist of unrealism, a twist of weirdness or pulpy super-science. It takes away the seriousness and suddenly you are more comfortable with it.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
I think WW 2 was the defining event of the last century.

Plus, it's the last war where the good guys and the bad guys were clearly illustrated.

Nazi's make the ultimate bad guys.  Hilter and his cronies did delve into the occult, which adds credence to the weirdness.

From the British resolve, to the waking of the American Giant, it's just ripe for storylines.

Plus, http://languagelab.bh.indiana.edu/russian_archive_music.html

I'd only add that, psychologically, it is a way of dealing with Hitler, and putting him into something like perspective, if that is possible.  It makes the evil more comprehensible if we explain it with a supernatural element.

Also, werewolves in camo look awesome.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
I think WW2 is very widely researched and most bookshops 'military history' sections are only WW2... Fantasy is broadly one of the favoured genres of wargame, so the two coming together in a strange but widely subjective way is perfect for a lot of people.

I see it as like VSF, but with a more definate background and a bit more reliant on research and considering 'well that couldn't happen' for a lot of people?

former user

I could say in a provocative way that WWWII is a kind of "honest" WH40K :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
I could say in a provocative way that WWWII is a kind of "honest" WH40K :)

Actually, you could say that it is a 'closer-to-reality' W40K... in the sense that many of the elementsused in WWW actually did exist.

I find the fantasy/horror elements of WWW intriguing because of the 'what if' element, and the sheer pulpiness of it  :)

The use of totalitarian regimes in games also help fleshing out the 'story' even for battle games (neither Star Wars nor W40K just wouldn't be the same without the goth-fascist human empire, either).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
True, that.  :)