Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:40:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Question on F&IW for you historics  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: Question on F&IW for you historics
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
As was said earlier there had been Dutch colonies, but these had been taken ove by the British by this time. There were some Germans serving with the British but not as separate units. Both the French & British had foreigners serving in their Armed forces but not in independent units. Many of the colonists were of various european dissent, including Swedes, Danes, Germans & Dutch. Scotts & Irish were also considered foreign and may have served on either side.

That's right, no units of other nationalities as such, but as said, loads of other national descent types in some of the colonies, especially Duch and other northern Europeans still being the majority in some areas, although now subjects of Britain, look at some of the names in the Colony of New York at the time.

There were certainly Irish serving in French regiments in Canada, I'd be interested to hear of any Scots or Irish living in British colonies who (willingly) defected to the French, now that would be a 'ripping yarn'  :)

Piero, I agree re the earlier stuff involving the Swedes being interesting, though I still think the mid eighteenth century has the edge on it.  ;)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:58:30 PM by Galloping Major »

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »
There was a huge Dutch population in the New York area I believe...

Darkoath

Offline Prof Steelblade

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »
A little bit off but you could make Royal Suedois, the Swedish regiment in French service. Sadly the were never in America, but who knows, maybe the papers of there campaigns got lost for our historians to read :)

I think that von Fersen fought with the French "over there", sadly i cant remember any details

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 06:22:25 PM »
A little bit off but you could make Royal Suedois, the Swedish regiment in French service. Sadly the were never in America, but who knows, maybe the papers of there campaigns got lost for our historians to read :)

I think that von Fersen fought with the French "over there", sadly i cant remember any details

I think I'll do like any great novelist (meaning Bernard Cornwell) and invent my own hero with just the basics I require.  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »
What about the Danish colony in Greenland?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_colonization_of_the_Americas

Maybe your character took a wrong turn when crossing the Atlantic or took to trading with the Canada's first people.... etc... etc.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 08:53:08 AM »
I think I'll do like any great novelist (meaning Bernard Cornwell) and invent my own hero with just the basics I require.  lol

I'd say that's the way to go  :D, but does that mean every bit of posh totty he bumps into will fall madly in love with him, despite him neither having the funds nor the common sense to get himself a hat, like Sharp?  lol

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:49:21 AM by Galloping Major »