Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:46:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Question on F&IW for you historics  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Question on F&IW for you historics
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »
Hi there,

I was wondering if there was any smaller national contingents of the lesser European countries in the French & Indian War? Perhaps as mercenaries or something similar. Danish/Swedish participants would be of special interest.

I'm guessing that the odds are slim.. but I'd like to try my luck here with you guys.  lol

EDIT: Was wandering.. now wondering
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:19:51 PM by Thorbjørn Nielsen »
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Question on F&IW for you historics
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
Not that I am aware of. The closest I can think of is the French Voluntaires d'Etrangers which was made up mainly of Swiss and Germans (I think) but dressed much as any other French regiment.

Of course some English at the time considered the Scots rather foreign, but I don't think that's what you meant!  ;)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:58:21 PM »
Screw it... I'll just make up my own Danish immigrant swashbuckling hero fighting the villainous French alongside the heroes of the Galactic British Empire (no reason to take sides or paint stereotypes)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
 lol No reason not to! One of the most famous "British" officer in my neighborhood was Colonel Henri Bouquet, a Swiss, so a Dane is not as far-fetched as you might think!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 08:06:34 PM »
Thorbjørn - surely you vikings were there fighting the skraelings 800 years before the French and British anyway...  ;)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:28:27 AM »
lol No reason not to! One of the most famous "British" officer in my neighborhood was Colonel Henri Bouquet, a Swiss, so a Dane is not as far-fetched as you might think!

Yes, we tend to go around the world. I really like the looks of things in this conflict and as a boy I heard "the last mohican" over and over again. Had it on a set of tapes (9! tapes that is). Oh and "The Settlers in Canada" by Captain Marryat. But that's set a bit later me thinks.

Thorbjørn - surely you vikings were there fighting the skraelings 800 years before the French and British anyway...  ;)

Next time we meet I'll tell the tale of how the English got their language. Although I'm pretty sure vikotnik and zafarelli could perhaps be persuaded to do it too..  lol

Now who makes the Indiana Jones of the F&IW in miniature?

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 07:46:50 AM »
The ranks of the 60th Foot contained a great many Swiss and Germans. Many of the officers in the various battalions serving were European "mercenaries".  :)

Albany, Schenectady were originally "Dutch" settlements (as had New York itself as New Amsterdam), A & S and surrounding areas were still largely populated by people of Dutch, German and similar European descent. So, some New York militia units especially contained quite a lot of these. I'd say that would be your best bet for your roving Dane   ;) :D

Oh, and you could quite easily fit him into a ranger unit.  8)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:51:30 AM by Galloping Major »

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

There now, I bookmarked the page for whenever I have the bees to realise this.  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 01:02:36 PM »
Hi there,

I was wandering if there was any smaller national contingents of the lesser European countries in the French & Indian War? Perhaps as mercenaries or something similar. Danish/Swedish participants would be of special interest.

I'm guessing that the odds are slim.. but I'd like to try my luck here with you guys.  lol

I am sure Peter Jackson would make a great film with this as a subject. ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »
I am sure Peter Jackson would make a great film with this as a subject. ;)

Yes! Starring Elijah Wood as one of Thorbjørn's great great great ancestors!  lol

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 01:20:17 PM »
Well I'll be damned!  lol

EDIT: Oh and Mameluke -how can I get my hands on one of those Zorroes? Preferable a dyslectic one.  ;)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »
As was said earlier there had been Dutch colonies, but these had been taken ove by the British by this time. There were some Germans serving with the British but not as separate units. Both the French & British had foreigners serving in their Armed forces but not in independent units. Many of the colonists were of various european dissent, including Swedes, Danes, Germans & Dutch. Scotts & Irish were also considered foreign and may have served on either side.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 01:37:18 PM »
Well I'll be damned!  lol

EDIT: Oh and Mameluke -how can I get my hands on one of those Zorroes? Preferable a dyslectic one.  ;)

By way of a donation to the King Kong film appreciation society or here:  www.boothillminiatures.co.uk  The choice is yours ;)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 01:54:24 PM »
I actually have ancestors who were "Pennsylvania Dutch". In true American fashion the term refers not to actual Dutch but rather the early German settlers (specifically Mennonites I believe). To the colonial ear their uncivilized mumbling of "deutsch" sounded like "Dutch".  lol

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 02:08:56 PM »
Thorbjørn you could refight battles some 100 year before, lot of Swedish against Algonquins and Dutch  with Iroquois against the French. is my favourite period at the moment.

Piero