Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:56:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: S.W.A.T. van question.  (Read 9357 times)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
S.W.A.T. van question.
« on: April 12, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »
Hello, a question for our American cousins, what make and model are the vans used by the S.W.A.T teams in the states? And, does anyone know if you can pick up a 1/43rd model?

Thanks,  :)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
S.W.A.T. van question.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:58:16 PM »
Not exactly what you're asking for, as these guys were driving to the World Swat Team competition or some such, but it says they were in an "unmarked white cargo van" when they got ripped off while eating barbecue for lunch. Har!

Pretty bold guy who steals a bunch of assault rifles and shotguns from a SWAT team.

http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/news.apx.-content-articles-NCN-2007-04-24-0004.html
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
S.W.A.T. van question.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:09:22 PM »
The SWAT team here uses a couple of chevy vans. Up the road a ways one small town outfit uses a Lenco Bearcat http://www.armoredtrucks.com/products.htm so you  see it can vary quite a bit.

Most though are customized versions of conventional vans and trucks.

I'd probably use the 1/56 scale UPS van as the basis for one - it is readily available on ebay.

Offline Brett

• Schoolboy
S.W.A.T. van question.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:29:22 AM »
Can be almost anything actually.  One local Swat vehicle is a Ford Excursion another is a redone ambulance.  One county to the north has a V100 armored car.  Old Peace Keeper armored cars are popular also.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
S.W.A.T. van question.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »
Looks like an old delivery van would work nicely, here are some suggestions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230233951141

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310040512803

I personally use Volkswagen T4 transporter vans (by Hongwell/Cararama), which are relatively easy to get hold of (around here), but it might not suit a US setting that much :)

This is also the car that Ainsty (Old Crow) used for their SWAT van :)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
S.W.A.T. van question.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 01:55:19 PM »
Here in the US, we have a bafflingly complex mix of police systems, and consequently a thousand different SWAT systems. I'll start with what I know and zoom out a little bit, if it'll help.

Cory and Brett have already mentioned the two most common vans: the Ford Econoline, and the Chevy Van. In most police departments, this also doubles as the general-purpose van, so it's not usually overtly marked (it might have a police license plate, but that's it). This keeps it kind of stealthy. I remember driving through a bad part of Baltimore one morning on my way to the train station, and through sleepy eyes I could see that there was a van in front of me with the rear cargo doors open. And inside were a whole bunch of guys with ninja suits and submachineguns.

A well-funded PD might have a larger box truck as well, and the Grumman is probably most popular for this. This isn't an armored car by any stretch of the imagination, but it will haul a lot of gear.

A really-well-funded PD will probably have a "mobile command center", completely ignoring the GI Joe reference. These are usually large Class A RVs with lots of radios (which don't work), satellite antennas, floodlights all over the outside, and absurd numbers of lights and sirens. The idea is that if there is a Big Event, the MCC will roll up on the scene and give the important people somewhere to drink coffee and talk on radios that don't work, while wearing thousands of dollars in tactical vests and Corcoran boots.

And finally, some departmens have armored cars. This used to be pretty rare - the only people who got A/Cs were wealthy jurisdictions or ones with particularly insane sheriffs, but since 2001 there has been enough Homeland Security money thrown around that quite a few random jurisdictions have them. The V100 used to be the gold standard for SWAT, but in recent years there's been a boom in the number on the market. The Bearcat is a popular model, as well as the Grizzly. I guarantee you in five years you'll start seeing up-armored HMMWVs in SWAT liveries, too.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
S.W.A.T. van question.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
I guarantee you in five years you'll start seeing up-armored HMMWVs in SWAT liveries, too.

Ooooooooohh!  :love:  8)  :lol:

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
S.W.A.T. van question.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 04:34:30 PM »

A really-well-funded PD will probably have a "mobile command center", completely ignoring the GI Joe reference. These are usually large Class A RVs with lots of radios (which don't work), satellite antennas, floodlights all over the outside, and absurd numbers of lights and sirens. The idea is that if there is a Big Event, the MCC will roll up on the scene and give the important people somewhere to drink coffee and talk on radios that don't work, while wearing thousands of dollars in tactical vests and Corcoran boots

:lol:  :lol:

Adding my limited knowledge
There are some police dep's that have m113's too 8)

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
S.W.A.T. van question.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 04:30:26 AM »
Here in Seattle, they use the V100, and armored vans.  Similar to the ones that haul money for banks.  Some pics (though not from local PD)

http://www.freqofnature.com/photography/svepe04-1/bigimages/image017.jpg

http://www.freqofnature.com/photography/svepe04-1/bigimages/image018.jpg

I think FOA makes a nice 1/56 V100.

For my TAG swat teams, I have two black FOA hummers, an M113 from Westwind, and a special all tactical version of the Stryker...it pays to manufacture wargame models  :)    

Brent
Company B

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
S.W.A.T. van question.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 05:47:10 AM »
I seen things from suvs to vans and different colors never marked,you realy cant go wrong finding swat vehicles in scale.depends on the dept.fbi swat teams like to use the surbanans.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
S.W.A.T. van question.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »