Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:37:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Armored train preview  (Read 11469 times)

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
28mm Armored train preview
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:39:24 PM »
ok, to prove that I am in fact working on this beastie...here are a couple of shots of the train engine in progress.  My macro lense is a bit wonky...so no, the train is not crooked!

So here is a sort of top shot showing the crappy sketch I made to use as plans!

closer shot:

Ok, please bear in mind...I am in the early stage here!  only three days work thus far.  Most likely, the masters will be completed in July.

The train scale is 28mm (you can see the 1 inch squares on the cutting mat)  I went for a game table scale...instead of a true 1:56 scale...otherwise, this beast would basically BE the game table, plus cost a small fortune as a kit...

The first release will be the engine pictured, plus an armored flat car.  So you can stick a tank or gun on it. troops, sandbags, whatever.  Next releases will be various modifications of the flat car.  troop car, turreted cabs, gun emplacements, etc.  These might end up being just add-ons to the basic flat car...instead of whole new kits.

Train engine will be one piece cast in resin, with metal wheels, hitches, bumpers, etc.  There will also be two smoke stack and water cooler options in the kit...(so you can be a little different from your buddies...)

Brent
Company B

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 05:57:20 PM »
*Angelic choirs singing*

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 05:59:05 PM »
Wow  :love:

Offline chrisv

• Assistant
    • http://chrisvmd.fotki.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 06:01:08 PM »
Awesome!  I've been looking forward to this.

I've seen elsewhere that you're making this for Russian Civil War.  What other periods and places could I use it for?  I don't know much about such things.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Vaughn
E-mail: My First Name period My Last Name at Yahoo, etc.
http://chrisvmd.fotki.com <-- Photo gallery
www.wherearemytoys.com <-- My current site (not much here)
www.punchandjewelry.com <-- My old site
Yahoo Messenger: QuarkTheGoose

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »
:o
standing ovations!!!
:love:

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 06:17:56 PM »
Thanks...

As for uses...  The train is not specifically any model from history.  It's based on several designs of real trains from the Russian Civil War, but really could be used as an armored train for any location in the 1920's to 1930's.  Heck, you can even used it as a victorian sci-fi steam engine with tesla coil weapons.  Throw a cow catcher and a larger smoke stack on it, and you have your Wild West war machine.

I'll be using mine for BoB and Russian Civil War.  There were several armored trains, used by Chinese warlords...  I'm sure folks can come up with more uses...

What will really set the piece apart, will be what add-ons you supply.  I also have several turrets already in production for WW1 tanks...so I may make the turrets for the FT-17, FT-17 command and Ford Tfc and make them available with special add-on armored holders as future accessories...

Open hatches for engineers or gun toting crews is also a possibility.  Maybe I'll make a double decker car full of model T's!

-Brent
Company B

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 06:27:07 PM »
Awesome. One thing, though, why is the fourth set of drive wheels (that beneath the cab) larger than the three others? Russian 0-8-0īs (and the rare Pacifics, for that matter) of the early 20th century had all drive wheels of the same diameter...

Sorry to be a nit-picker, but it looks really awkward.

On another topic, what gauge will it run on? Iīve just completed a table module with 30mm gauge (read, roughly 1/51th scale for Russian Gauge) and was wondering if you could fit the trainīs gauge to that, or if it is fixed.

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 06:33:23 PM »
we have three sizes of wheels.  Right now they are in the pic to show the sizes.

Most likely I'll use the medium size wheels..and I have some slightly smaller ones for the freight cars.  It's still open, as I have yet to even make the wheel trucks!

-Brent

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 06:35:28 PM »
Ahhh! Now I see it. Thatīs an excellent idea. I was a bit confused by the plan.

Really looking forward to the finished article. Gotta start saving up... I wanted to do my train from cardboard, but that one looks SO NICE and will save me SO MUCH WORK...

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 06:40:33 PM »
track gauge:

Right now, we settled on 1/64 S scale track..which is available cheaply.

Now, if folks want, I can provide the wheels separate from the axles.  So adjustment would be up to the model maker.  I could provide to different sized axles to make things a bit easier...but please let me know now.
(and that's the reason for this forum!)

The model is also hollow.  So adding the trucks from an existing scale train set would not be too difficult for folks if they want to tinker with it.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 06:52:29 PM »
It's great. Are you building it to fit some available model railway tracks?

Btw - I think you should consider the Warmachine audience as possible customers. Only after we lead adventurers bought the initial lot, that is.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 07:18:31 PM »
Quote from: "CompanyB"
track gauge:

Right now, we settled on 1/64 S scale track..which is available cheaply.

But non-existent outside of the U.S. Thatīs too bad. So it would be great if the wheels are separate, although you could remove them from the axles, I assume. What I meant is if there is enough "space" beneath the loco body to space the wheels wider apart.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 07:25:56 PM »
I'll make a standing offer here to provide track to anyone from LAF who needs S scale track. Shoot me a PM and I'll pick up what you need and charge you cost and shipping plus one painted figure.  :)

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 07:30:52 PM »
The model is wide enough to allow for larger track scales.  i'll double check with the O scale sample I have...

-Brent

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 07:38:52 PM »
Excellent idea Pete!

That said..for those that don't know...Company B also does terrain.  We have several WW2 pacific bunkers, and are also somehow involved with several sets of Spanish Buildings for Gloire and Swashbuckling that Brigade Games will soon carry (with rumors of Chinese forts and buildings soon to follow...)

Sections of track on a raised bed are not out of the picture.  It really depends on the demand on the trains.  If I sell just one...well  then I'll hole myself up in the basement with a bottle of Gin.

If models are steadily going out the door and or well received (Including model T's and armored cars..ahem...) then you can be sure we'll add supporting sets and accessories.

-Brent