Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dune in 15mm - concept and ideas welcome  (Read 11128 times)

Offline Isamu

• Bookworm
Re: Dune in 15mm - concept and ideas welcome
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
At the moment the discussion is leading toward the films. If you read the books, they often don't use range weapons. The Fremen in the beginning mostly have only their crys-knife and some rare pistoles. And also the houses use only pistoles and maybe rifles and a lot of sabers not swords. And nearly every fight is a melee fight. The reason is, the shield seems to neutralize every slugthrowing or rocket weapons. Later the Fremen get Rockets, which seems to be a very impressive weapon and only work, because they and the opponent can't use shields in the desert.

So I'm thinking more of a victorian oriental sci-fi. So the Fremen should look like Arabs with sci-fi gadgets. What do you think?

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 05:32:05 PM »
Hei,

I was also thinkig a long time now of converting some Fremen, but never managed to start with that yet.

I want them to look like the Icon I use, which comes from a Fremen-Image I found in the Internet.
Full pic:

I like it very much.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 12:39:01 PM »
At the moment the discussion is leading toward the films. If you read the books, they often don't use range weapons. The Fremen in the beginning mostly have only their crys-knife and some rare pistoles. And also the houses use only pistoles and maybe rifles and a lot of sabers not swords. And nearly every fight is a melee fight. The reason is, the shield seems to neutralize every slugthrowing or rocket weapons. Later the Fremen get Rockets, which seems to be a very impressive weapon and only work, because they and the opponent can't use shields in the desert.

So I'm thinking more of a victorian oriental sci-fi. So the Fremen should look like Arabs with sci-fi gadgets. What do you think?

Also the Holzmann effect means very few Lasers in the Duniverse. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Wolfslord

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 06:19:12 AM »
Sorry took my time to answer here.

My first little worm is on it's way: 26cm of Shai Hulud goodness :D The purple worm is already painted as a little baby worm and I found these two miniatures to be nice thopter stand-ins (although they don't work with the same technology):

http://khurasanminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/06/tribal-class-dpls.html
http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/15mm/15alien/15thetal.gif

@bandit86, Super-Gibbon, thanks for the links. I think I'm going to use the Titan Marines, because they sure look great in glossy black with a little bit of purple.

Combat/weapons always was the part in Dune I couldn't really understand and didn't like. Although the emphasis on close combat has style, I just can't see how shields can be so cheap that most of the soldiers use it and therefore make firearms useless. I can't imagine Arrakis being the only planet where shields don't work to well or at all. How do they crack bunkers or fortresses in this universe ?

Furthermore I can't remember any vehicles except thopters. The lack of thinking machines can't be the reason, because they are able to produce and use thopters and ships. The Harkonnen used out-dated simple artillery against the Atreides, so why not use more vehicles on Arrakis ?

Yeah, lasguns don't see many uses in this time, but I always thought them to be nice assasin tools. The target is eliminated and the shooter as well.

Long story short: Weapons-wise I'm sticking with the Game Universe. Khurasan and Ground Zero Games have some vehicles that scream Dune II:
http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/commerce.cgi?product=SG15V&exact_match=on&cart_id=6430198.22332

I see a quad there, some Ordos hover tanks, some missile launchers etc.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:26:18 AM by Wolfslord »
My (work in progress) Wargaming Blog:
http://wwpd-wargaming-blog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 06:50:20 AM »
Thats a nice "dune" tutorial ;)

I saw the Dune 40k army a while ago and I'm still impressed by it.

I'm stll thinking about some things I definetly need:

1. Does anyone know of a nice sandworm miniature that could be used or converted ?

I would recommend (and it isn't quite large enough, but relatively cheap) the D&D Purple Worm model. I painted two to be my Martian Sand Snakes that I use as part of my Martian Sandpeople army. Stands about 4" tall.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."