Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:41:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My workbench  (Read 360891 times)

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Re: My workbench
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2010, 04:52:32 PM »
Nice job and glad I provided some inspiration! Great idea to add the light and book stand! I have a similar lamp and would like to do something similar, but I'm probably better off waiting until my son is a little more under control. Right now he'd see it as a grab handle to hoist himself up on the cabinet!

No - thank you for the idea!  :D

The stand is handy to have.  I've had this one for about 15 years.  I had to build something to attach the light to because my main desk has no lip on it.  My first attempt didn't work due to the weight of the lamp and a cat brushing up against it - it easily toppled over.  So I made one using two bricks as weight.  This created a little cubby hole under the lamp for other items I might need.  But with a young kid around...well that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish!

"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2010, 01:46:40 AM »
Below are a couple of posts I have on my blog that describes my workbench area.  I use a moveable work surface and some tool cabinets to try and keep things organized

http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/2010/05/workbench-improvements.html
http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html

While the whole setup is "moveable" it doesn't get moved that often.  Only when ordered by the wife!

Miles
Miles
http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2010, 02:05:19 AM »
Now that IS sweet!!!   :-*   :-*  :-*

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2010, 10:18:52 PM »
Well, being new and all, I guess I'd better show you all where my nefarious schemes are all hatched...

As you can see, I am in the compulsively neat category. And this is on a bad day (see the miniatures kicking back right on my workspace?)... One of the many mysteries of the world; why can't one abide by one's company's strict 'clean-desk-policy' to save one's life, but at home, even the dust on the workbench gets scrupulously categorised before being 'filed' away lol

The boxes on the shelves over the desk are an amalgam of a life's worth of wargames and old unit boxes, now filled with spares, shelved projects, impulse buys etc; your average gamer's stockpile basically. The drawer cabinets against the wall of my workbench hold bitz, bitz and, oh, also bitz. Hey; what's a neurotic person going to do with just one, large bitzbox? Despair, that's what. ;D

Anywho... Here's a bit of a close-up, with shots of the three top drawers of the cabinet beneath the desk on the left, holding my tools, larger supplies and paints. What resides in the bottom two is better not mentioned...

I built the entire desk myself out of 4x4 and 8x4cm beams, 2,5cm thick underlayment and leftover laminate floor. The beams form a supporting framework, sturdy enough to stand on. The edges of the desk were sanded flush and had iron-on veneer strips added, before being ever so slightly rounded off for comfort. The media cabinet (for lack of a better word), was also home made, with silver/grey veneered fibre board and aluminum strips finishing the front. The all-in-one printer is nicely flush with the work surface. The silver/grey surface topping the cabinet is loose. If a new printer is placed, the shelf can be adjusted to the correct hight and I have spare tops, which can be sawed to fit and installed when required...

The desk wraps around the room, accomodating another PC rig (my wife's) and her portion of the desk, which is mostly cluttered with, well, I don't know; women's stuff. She's the type that has the genetically coded compulsion to clutter any horizontal surface she encounters. Yes; this includes the floor and yes; my life is a constant struggle to keep my side of the desk free of her clutterings. But you know what they say; opposites attract. Gotta go; she just left an empty mug next to me and I fear there will be coffee rings...  ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:49:35 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »

:o neat! lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2010, 07:19:28 AM »
If you would discard about half of the boxes on the shelves yours is approaching my ideal workspace, Daeothar. Which I fail to keep up myself in an epic sort of way.

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »
 :o
OMG

... i need to sort out my work space
 :'(
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2010, 09:50:27 PM »
If you would discard about half of the boxes on the shelves yours is approaching my ideal workspace, Daeothar. Which I fail to keep up myself in an epic sort of way.
:o Discard the boxes? Blasphemy good sir; most of them are filled with their original contents; board games of yesteryear, which I continually strive to get my gaming friends hooked on. With only limited succes I admit though. ::)

As for the smaller boxes directly over my work area; those hold the aforementioned projects. I'm also of the 'out of sight but not out of mind' kind. Meaning I have projects up there lying dormant for almost a decade, but one by one, they do get finished. Too bad the input is still larger than the output...

The boxes on the top shelf are all computer games, most also at least a decade old by now. I keep telling myself I will get an old rig to play them on but , yeah well... :D

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2010, 02:22:33 AM »

The boxes on the top shelf are all computer games, most also at least a decade old by now. I keep telling myself I will get an old rig to play them on but , yeah well... :D

Try Windows 7.  It's compatibility mode is excellent.

As for your work station... this must be what heaven looks like!   ;D

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »
No more Half-sheet of ply-wood on top of the dining room table for Peabody... No more dining room table either!  ;D I have my priorities straight.

A nice generous 6'x6' L-shaped work surface with a custom built hutch for storage & lighting. It took longer than I hoped, but everything is finally built & installed. Still need to pick up a super long deluxe power-bar and a 24"x18" cutting mat. My existing rolling storage bins for paint & tools fit nicely under the work-tops.

The corner features built-in down-draft filtration for airbrushing! Take that! Artograph... I'll use your excellent filter system, but your $450.00 price tag for a counter-top spray-booth is too rich for my blood. This entire project cost barely $150.00 more than one Artograph 'booth'.

Sure it all looks nice & clean now; just wait until I settle in with some paint & glue and then it will look just like home.  8)

TR
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Regulator

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #205 on: July 04, 2010, 07:55:30 PM »
this was mine - but totally untidy at the moment  :D

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2010, 06:53:02 PM »
Here is my new hobbies room, due to us getting a new carpet soon I had to move out of the living room, plus I down sized my computer table, bigger it is more rubbish you have on it, so were to put my hobby room, thought about the garden shed but to cold and no power, but in back of my mind been the airing cupboard under the stirs, not very wide only 35 inches, and the roof slops to the back, on the plus side the wee  outside  window opens, there is a  air vent above my head and most of all power.
The paint rack is home made and holds 84 foundry bottles, the draws are Ikea I believe they no longer make them.
Seat cost £8 out of a charity shop, plywood for the self was free, below the self I keep my air compressor and boxes with model stuff in, on window self  lamp and soldering iron

In the picture you can see my home made bottle holder, got the foam from a shop selling instant glue, the glue bottles sit in the foam insert in the box they came in, just asked and was given the insert as there was only one bottle left.
I glued it to a bit of 6mm MDF, most bottles fit snugly.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #207 on: July 07, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
Very efficient use of space. You were never a submariner by chance?  lol

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2010, 09:56:54 PM »
WOW!!!  That's tiny!!  :o

I'm interested in the roof as well though.  I love old houses and assume yours is old.  Is it?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2010, 10:20:18 PM »
My, I hear people talking about their oubliettes now and then on this forum but you take it seriously...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:39:37 PM by Hammers »