Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:50:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Warhammer Figures (trust me, they're good!)  (Read 12856 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: New Warhammer Figures (trust me, they're good!)
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 06:30:08 AM »
Also - am I the only one who don't like the paint jobs? How much do GW photoshop their product pics?

That's an interesting comment. In the middle of last year I managed to get behind the doors at Warhammer World and had a look in thier photography studio. Had a chat with the chap there who was taking photos for 'Over the Top' and he was a bit cagey as to how much digital jiggery pokery went on. There were also lots of figure cabinets with the stock magazine figures in and they did look slightly different to the ones in the magazine. Lighting might have been a factor but I thin there's more to it than that  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »
I must say that I am happy about GW's decision to prduce a range like that. And the miniatures aren't the worst they have produced - far from it. GW has a certian style as do most other companies. So you either like that style or not. I personally find these minis quite nice. Unfortunately they don't really fit into my collection - though I am tempted to buy them.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 02:34:30 PM »
They're ok. Just that. Some nice touches of character, and unusual subjects which is always welcome, but...

I'm getting really sick of GW making their metals look like their plastics by exagerating details and making them more angular, just so they can say the plastics are of the same quality. Come on, if the Perrys can make their plastics every bit as detailed, accurate and well proportioned as their metals there really is no excuse for the industry's main player to "retro-fit" their ranges.

Sorry. Been buying a lot of OOP Citadel stuff recently and the downturn in quality since the mid 90s is suddenly very obvious to me. YMMV. 

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »
To me, it differs between ranges. i.e. the Humans and dwarves in the 90's were great, but the orcs of the same period sucked. The goblins were okay. I much prefer the modern Night goblins to the old ones and the new orcs to the old ones, but the old ones have their own charm. Modern chaos figs are also nicer and more menacing than 90s ones, but 80s ones were cooler and more diverse. Very difficult to say.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
Don't know how much of a factor it is in the sculpting of metal figs, but I have seen the appearance of a certain, more cartoony, style with GW's introduction of computer modelling to their ranges. [Which is odd really, as the tongue in cheek ranges (Gobbo's, Orks) seem to have swung towards being all grim and serious...]

This is especially visible in for instance the Empire Wizard sprue, but also in the new Goblin range. Just look at the way cloth flows, especially tabards, scrolls, beards, hats and the like; sort of angular. I'm undecided on whether or not to like it. I suppose it looks sort of cool on its own, but when paired with my older minis, it looks, well, cheaper. :?

Most of my GW armies are made up of Rogue Trader era or early nineties metal minis and I have to agree with the previous poster mentioning the decline in detail. It is sad but true...

Having said that though, I have to admit I quite like these new civilians, if only for the options they provide in playing Mordheim or roleplaying games. Going against the stream here, my favourite is the corpulent trader/merchant type. IMHO, these minis are much more suited for general play than the previous Mordheim Townsfolk, which could only really be used as an angry lynchmob. On acid.

However; I am no fan of the cartoony paintjobs GW has been flaunting lately either btw. And yes; it does seem that they Photoshop the heck out of their minis, maybe even more so than Rackham...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:46:06 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »
"Going against the stream here, my favourite is the corpulent trader/merchant type. "

My second favorite, and it was close.  A lot of my Mordheim heroes pack two pistols, which nudged the duelist with the pistols into the lead.  But that merchant is a great figure.

I agree that the paint jobs on these figures makes them seem a bit cartoony.  I think this result often happens when a figure is painted to be ideally viewed from a "tabletop" distance, and then is photographed for an extreme closeup. 

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 06:52:03 AM »
No these are painted by professionals who aim to have their work photographed up close.

I have no problem with the painting.

Edit: Okay, the swordsman and the Scribe are quite nice. Even with their style.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 07:02:26 AM »
Funny thing is - the first 2 made me go 'That's 40K minis...'
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
Was it by any chance the shoulderpads on the pistolier and the medals on the swordsman?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2010, 10:37:49 AM »
Was it by any chance the shoulderpads on the pistolier and the medals on the swordsman?

Might have been - but it was more an overall first impression. The minis just shouted '40K Imperial Fleet Officers' to me at first glance...

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »
For me it would be the 19yh century look about them (ecxcept for the sleeves), which does not match the renaissance look of the empire, but it does remind of a type of uniform era sometimes adapted for scifi.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »
The bear and handler are very disapointing. :'(

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2010, 04:11:23 PM »
At first I was impressed, but the more I see them, the more I think that they are overdone charicatures.  ???
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2010, 04:27:42 PM »
At first I was impressed, but the more I see them, the more I think that they are overdone charicatures.  ???

Which is - and has been since the mid-80's - the case of most GW minis.... (save the LotR minis, that were done to resemble 'real live actors').

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)