Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "Skulldred" beta skirmish rules (version 1.03)- free .pdf  (Read 18314 times)

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
Re: "Skulldred" beta skirmish rules (version 1.03)- free .pdf
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2010, 12:33:13 AM »
Great look forward to hearing about it!

Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
    • Delaney King
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2010, 04:41:21 AM »
Now the rush has finished and I have a little time free, I will be fitting in the new Beta edition into my schedule.

I have revamped a fair bit, counters representing a forces combined morale, health, luck and spirit are now in play- these are spent recovering downed models instead of actions - its like having hit points for a whole army.  Therefore you can strategically spend them on troops holding important positions, your big meanies or your heroes - it doesn't matter.  Eventually, as the battle rages, everyone starts getting battle weary and can no longer stand... when no counters are left, death awaits all!

These counters can also be spent for free actions and bonus dice, depending on your models level.

The draws will also be changed to be more aggressive.  The attacker now has a choice to knock you directly back, reposition himself anywhere touching your base, or press you back- you dodge, and he can move to stay with you.  This means combat between equals can range all over the field, using strategic positioning to trap and weaken foes.

I am also adding 'back against the wall' penalty modifier- where a model cannot move freely due to an obstacle, the attacker gains a dice.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated right about now, so I have time to ruminate.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2010, 07:05:14 PM »
I'm presuming there's an advantage in moving your attacker to the side/rear of his target after a draw?

Next dumb question - what's the difference between a knock back and press back -by the by I like the idea of forcing an enemy into a corner and gaining a combat dice!

The counters sound like a good idea - I'm sure yours are quite different but I did enjoy using the Havoc Counters when playing Havoc.  :D

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2010, 08:00:39 PM »
I read the rules last week (and sent you an email too), they look good. I can't wait to see the new ideas - I like the "army counters" idea. And I've always liked it when in hand-to-hand combat you could do things like swap places w/ your opponent, push them back, etc. - it's much more like in the movies!

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
    • Delaney King
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2010, 07:56:20 AM »
Yes, a great deal of advantage - you can use your opponent to block shots, movement, pull yourself out of a spells effect - move past a blockade so you can sprint to a goal - that sort of thing.  I like the idea of combat that ranges all over - one problem I had with SOBH is that normal battles tend to choke up in one area.  I wanted the core mechanic to be more moveable.

Press back is where your opponent goes back a base width and you then move back to touch.  Use it to push enemies into obstacles, onto difficult ground, into the oncoming path of mounted troops to block charges and so forth.  The opponent places his model, using the current 'dodge' rules - then you can move to anywhere on his base before the combat mid line.

I have not read Havoc yet - I don't want to be seen to be influenced whilst designing this - but after I do definitely!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
Sounds like combat is going to be pretty dynamic - good stuff!  8)