Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:15:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689736
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battles not skirmish in "Medium size" figures rules?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Battles not skirmish in "Medium size" figures rules?
« on: December 30, 2013, 01:54:59 AM »
Really tired tonight and small success looking for threads dealing with this subject in this sub-forum manually.  If I missed the thread (I thought I started one but maybe that is just my tired from the holidays numbed brain misremembering...) please excuse my unintended repetition.

Okay, first, I am trying to go to 100% 15 mm, 6 mm, or 3 mm miniatures (smaller figures for bigger battles) for most eras I will be keeping in the future.  [Damn if I can find Soldados under 25 mm and Presidials seem slightly less rare below 25 mm too so 100% may not be practical.]

So when I say "Medium size" I am talking 15/18 (the new 15) mm sized figures...

I am thinking that "larger than skirmish" battles in 15 mm would be doable...  I know that Brigade Models makes VSF stuff in 6 mm (still have their Aeronef stuff to sell off) but 15 mm seems "skirmish capable" as well as "battle capable" in the post-retirement future. And 1/1200th scale infantry seems even a little small even to my some what open minded perceptions on scale.

Truth in advertising:  I just find myself looking at Meridian Miniatures Steampunk Army gas-masked figures by Andrew May and thinking how cool they look for Spain on Venus VSF skirmish gaming and thinking how well they fit my vision of gaming that setting... so much so that I have not given up on skirmish games with those 25+ mm "larger" figures (and those soldados/Presidials mentioned above) 100% completely yet...

Now, to the questions:

1)  Do you fight large, (specifically land but enlighten me if you do naval/aerial,) battles in VSF games?

2) If so, what rules do you use?  I know that Valor and Steel and Flesh - http://www.parroom.net/Catalog%20pages/Cat_Rules_VnSnF.html - exists (even have a copy) but others?

3) What miniatures do you use?  Smaller than 25+ mm would be ideal but don't restrict your comments just because I am leaning towards smaller sized miniatures...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Bunny

Re: Battles not skirmish in "Medium size" figures rules?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 07:48:55 AM »
Hi Glen,

Black Hat Miniatures do a great range of Martian Empire figures and a decent set of rules too.  As an alternative source of figures look at Old Glory 15mm Colonial and Boxer Rebellion, ideal for those invading humans.

So some good Steam Punk vehicles you could use Dystopion Legion models, they may appear a little on the big side but they are steam driven and therefor would needs plenty of engine room....their construction looks good.

Any way good luck and enjoy, it's a project I want to do as well

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:35:13 PM »
I like the THW stuff that deals with the period. It scales well, and has a couple of quirks that makes the steam-powered vehicles a bit more characterful.

Aeronef has a companion game called Land Ironclads that has infantry and "more normal" units.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:18:36 AM »
Hi Glen,

Black Hat Miniatures do a great range of Martian Empire figures and a decent set of rules too.  As an alternative source of figures look at Old Glory 15mm Colonial and Boxer Rebellion, ideal for those invading humans.

So some good Steam Punk vehicles you could use Dystopion Legion models, they may appear a little on the big side but they are steam driven and therefor would needs plenty of engine room....their construction looks good.

Has anyone tried modifying the OG figures to have gas masks or rebreathers?

Pretty much necessary for offensive actions against the lower elevation Lizardmen in my setting...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »
I like the THW stuff that deals with the period. It scales well, and has a couple of quirks that makes the steam-powered vehicles a bit more characterful.

Aeronef has a companion game called Land Ironclads that has infantry and "more normal" units.

I dug around in the archives and found a copy of first edition (there is a second) Colonial Adventures.  I will check it out while I order the CA 2nd and Lemuria rules.  Thanks for the reminder.  I had asked on the THW forum http://site.twohourwargames.com/forum/index.php about converting rules like Rifles and Rebels and CA had been suggested too.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 11:23:21 AM »
Hi Glen,

I book marked the Black Hat Miniatures web site.  I will check and see if anyone local has Dystopian vehicles so I can see them. 

Gracias,

Glenn
'

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
I see the Martian Empires rules now has a reduced price... is that temporary or permanent, anyone know?

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/product_info.php?cPath=131&products_id=1375&osCsid=2c0c895cd40e229e368f1a34f853d669

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
I dug around in the archives and found a copy of first edition (there is a second) Colonial Adventures.  I will check it out while I order the CA 2nd and Lemuria rules.  Thanks for the reminder.  I had asked on the THW forum http://site.twohourwargames.com/forum/index.php about converting rules like Rifles and Rebels and CA had been suggested too.

Gracias,

Glenn

If/when you order I would ask about the Steampunk rules. They're tweaks on CA & Lemuria. I also picked up the pulp rules (Lost Lands and Larger than Life) in order to add more variety.

I've been considering using the Dystopian Wars models for another rules set. I love the models, don't much care for the system.

The Dystopian Legion stuff is pretty big (35mm) so may not scale well with 15/18mm.