Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:39:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 836
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: beware poxilina!! (or silly first sculpt attempt)  (Read 6423 times)

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
beware poxilina!! (or silly first sculpt attempt)
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
Hi
since some weeks ago (and still for some weeks more) i'm out of home in a work trip, far from my dear miniatures and hobby stuff.
Last saturday after a long session browsing LAf I decided to look on the small village where I'm actually set for anything looking like a 28mm miniature and some paints.  o_o o_o ;D ;D
After one hour unsuccessfully looking around i decided to go into THE DIY store (there's only one, yup, that's a very small place) pick some epoxy putty and do my first sculpting attempt.
Sadly the only putty available was a paraguayan product named "Poxilina"  ??? looking quite far from what I needed, but anyway i decided to have a try.

The box claims it dryes in 10 minutes, when i opened the box and I realized the putty components where grainy pale gray and drak gray, things looked even worse, but, who said fear?

My first idea was to scultp something useful for my CiC Mummies warband, after mixing some putty the resulting stuff get a concrete color, grainy texture and becoming more and more hot, in less than 3 minutes the mix was hard enought to be useless modeling, 4th minute was almost solid and even hotter.
So, I decided to trash the mummies idea and try something easier for the upcoming speed modeling test, some deformed invented mythos creature should work.
Here you have the results, not a wonderfull model, with other putty would be richer in details and texture, but I had a really fun time doing it againts the poxilina forging timer.

Not sure if it's a shoggot, a protoshoggot, spawn, or what, but for sure is a bad guy to kick some investigators butt.
The euro coin i think is a bit taller than the  GBP coin

In terms of sculpting I would say poxilina really sucks, dryes really fast, even with wet fingers creates a sticky film of putty really hard to remove, seems to melt when washed with water and turns more grainy, all in all a real mess. Should be great if used as concrete putty for pipes etc, but i found it really hard to handle for modeling. My advice, avoid poxilina.

Thanks for reading my tarzanlike english, and If you think the post will fit better in the CoC section please move it.

former user

Re: beware poxilina!! (or silly first sculpt attempt)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
i think it looks not bad at all, and the quick drying time can be useful
question is, how gruelling is it to mix?

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 03:09:23 PM »
the A & B components are very very soft, much more thant the usual blue/yellow putty, but the are quite irregular to mix.
It requires around 1 minute of "chewing" to properly mix it and melt them without "veins" of component on the mix.
One of the components is quite more grainy so if don't melted properly the resulting look is more concrete-like.
The problem is the more you mix them the faster dry.
As you say I agree for specific things the fast dry could be a help, do small bits and don't need to wait long to use them.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 05:00:23 AM »
That is some great work!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:06:12 PM »
It;s fun! Nice job