Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:04:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: I need an army of cows. Well, maybe not exactly...  (Read 2427 times)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
I need an army of cows. Well, maybe not exactly...
« on: June 29, 2010, 09:19:24 PM »
Largely, the subject line is a grabber (it did get you looking, or you wouldn't be reading this ;)) but what I am really trying to accomplish is the following:

I am working on a set of rules that will use 15mm figures, but will be more strategic than tactical, with each figure probably representing a battalion/squadron.  This will be fought out on a table representing two imaginary nations, complete with villages and a capital.

So why the cows?  I want the game to have an economic aspect, where the smaller towns will generate production each turn (represented by the cows) which must be moved to the capital, where they are then converted into troops.  The cows will move like any other unit, can be attacked and destroyed by the enemy, or captured and converted to his own use, etc.

I was originally thinking of getting some type of small, cheap toy truck to reperesent production convoys, but the advantage of the cows would be that they could be used to represent production in virtually any period (I would like to give basic rules for an ancient or medieval war, with upgrades to WWII and maybe even sf and fantasy) inasmuch as soldiers always gotta eat, whereas trucks could really only be used for the 20th century+.

Of course, I could use other things instead.  Maybe sheafs of wheat?  Bails of some kind?  Chickens would probably be too small, unless multiple chickens could be mounted on the same base.  Carts, of course, would suffer the reverse problem from trucks.

Any ideas?  Whatever it is has to be small, easy to paint or modify, cheap and plentiful, and look reasonably in scale with 15mm.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:32:46 AM by gloriousbattle »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: I need an army of cows. Well, maybe not exactly...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:52:45 PM »
Interesting concept.

For 15mm, Essex Miniatures have draught oxen listed (see colonial equipment page) item OCE7 for £2.15 for 6.  No idea if they do cows or not!
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 04:04:51 AM »
Interesting concept.

For 15mm, Essex Miniatures have draught oxen listed (see colonial equipment page) item OCE7 for £2.15 for 6.  No idea if they do cows or not!

Thanks, I'll check 'em out.

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »
I can recommned the 15mm farm animals done by Museum Miniatures (http://www.museumminiatures.co.uk/).

They do sheep, goats, chickesn, geese, donkeys and of course cattle at £2.00 a pack.

I used them to make an Animal Farm Army for Hordes of the Things - worked very well.

Irregular Miniatures (http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/) are even cheaper.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:04:34 PM by capthugeca »
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »
I can recommned the 15mm farm animals done by Museum Miniatures (http://www.museumminiatures.co.uk/).

They do sheep, goats, chickesn, geese, donkeys and of course cattle at £2.00 a pack.

I used them to make an Animal Farm Army for Hordes of the Things - worked very well.

Irregular Miniatures (http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/) are even cheaper.

Interesting!  How many in a pack?  Then again, I could just go to the website... :D

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »
I'm afraid I can't help you with the figures, but the game idea sounds very interesting. Any chance you'll be publishing/putting them on the web?

(We like free rules!)
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline gloriousbattle

• Mad Scientist
  • Oi! Dat's My Leg!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:01:50 PM »
I'm afraid I can't help you with the figures, but the game idea sounds very interesting. Any chance you'll be publishing/putting them on the web?

(We like free rules!)

Absolutely.  However, I am one of those for whom gaming rules are an excuse to play with toys, so I must have my toys first!   ;)