Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painted Servant of Decay test figure (Necromunda Orlock)  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
Painted Servant of Decay test figure (Necromunda Orlock)
« on: July 18, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »
I finished another test figure for my future Servants of Decay Imperial Armour 7 Rebel Imperial Guard army.  If that means nothing to you, it is basically just a plastic Necromunda Orlock figure, remember those?  Here is the finished model from Flickr:

And there is a token blog post trying to explain why and how it was painted.

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
Re: Painted Servant of Decay test figure (Necromunda Orlock)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 11:30:07 PM »
Looks great! I love the rust effect on the weapons.
"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 11:41:13 PM »
Looking good but please drill out the barrel or at least paint on a black spot 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 06:02:46 AM »
I don't know what the obsession with drilling out barrels is.  I guess it is pretty easy with plastic models...  I'm not sure I have a small enough drill bit.  I used to paint the black spot.  I guess I forgot.  It was late at night when I painted this, like 2-3 AM when I finished.  I forgot to put final highlights on the skull on his necklace too...

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:31:06 AM »
Ah, I understand. I always drill out the barrels but it's easier if you have the right drill bit at hand, I guess it makes little difference on the table but in a picture it always bugs me 8)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »
Wow! I have one of these (it was in the bottom of an ebay joblot) but yours is much nicer than mine! Good job. I especially like the blue flesh, I presume this is some kind of chaotic mutation but the way you've done it it still looks sort of fleshy. And the contrast with the warm reds is pretty striking.

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:47:17 AM »
He's a Servant of Decay so he is infected by Nurgle's love, not necessarily willingly.  He is basically untrained rabble, that crashed onto a war torn planet then is lead by religious fanatics straight into the enemy to die in droves.  At least that is kinda my interpretation of the fluff behind their inclusion in an army.  The rest of the army, besides the Zombies is Rebel militia so they will have modified military uniforms, I'm using English Uniform Brown for the uniforms, but with a healthy amount of black and of course purple. 

Not so much red...  Greens, browns, beiges, maybe even some oranges...

It is one of my larger project for the coming 12-16 months.  I forget how many I need in the 1500 point army, but I plan to do a few more, maybe close to 50.  That is how large a single squad can be, they are 4pts I think maybe less armed just like that with a token gun and hand weapon.  The rules for them are in Imperial Armour 7.

Thanks for the comments.  And yes I schemed up the blue-grey skin to show they are unhealthy but basically human.  The zombies and any demons will look less well.  I'm painting some Plaguebearers now but they can't appear in the same army list as these guys, but someday I'll do the mother of all battles and put all my Nurgle figures on one battletop.  That isn't usually my style, my army isn't so portable and I don't currently own a car, but people always want me to come out so they can kill my pretty painted figures with their ugly unpainted ones.

Doesn't seem very fair to me.  ;-)

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:59:27 AM »
btw, great work on the red eyes!
per aspera ad astra

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »
Everyone knows that painted figures get extra armour saves when fighting unpainted ones  ;)

I heard about a club where unpainted units had to take morale tests when fighting painted units to represent the fact that they weren't as well 'prepared for battle'. I think that's quite a neat idea actually. If more clubs adopted it, more people might paint their armies (though I make no claims about quality because I'm a rubbish painter).

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 03:35:44 AM »
Everyone knows that painted figures get extra armour saves when fighting unpainted ones  ;)

I heard about a club where unpainted units had to take morale tests when fighting painted units to represent the fact that they weren't as well 'prepared for battle'. I think that's quite a neat idea actually. If more clubs adopted it, more people might paint their armies (though I make no claims about quality because I'm a rubbish painter).

I don't really have a club, though a couple local ones always invite me or are happy to have me.  No car and just plain laziness keep me away.  The local gaming store has a strict must be painted and based policy, of course lots of kids try to get away with minimal painting.  One thing I like about tournaments or conventions is they try harder to enforce the must have painted miniature policy.

I was sad to learn that GW has stopped forcing people to paint their figs to play at their battle bunkers.  You used to have to paint them and pay for the privileged of using the bunker at least that was how it was at Metrotown.  I never was much for playing at stores, of course when you know the owner/manager and you play after hours it is a lot better.