Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Colonial Marine test model  (Read 3461 times)

Online Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Colonial Marine test model
« on: July 27, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
Two weeks ago I traded some stuff for a couple of em4miniatures Colonial Marines. I wanted to paint them FAST as I knew this would be the only way I could get two squads fully painted. Decided on a simple scheme with brown, green and dark grey parts.
Here's how I did the model:

*Spray with Humbrol green primer
*Paint Bestial Brown and German Grey and Chainmail bits and paint the skin in an Indian tone.
*Dip with Army Painter Dark Shade
*Paint the goggles, battle damage and rework some small parts.
*Do some rust on the base...done.

All in all 20 minutes work. So two squads of 6 and a Captain should be doable quickly.

“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Colonial Marine test model
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:08:36 PM »
Solid, quick, and effective.  What's not to like!  I'd say a thin dark line on the tops of the 'battle damage' would give it better depth.  But you can't argue with the speed of this project!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:24:23 PM »
Want my honest opinion....

The green is just too damn bright.
You've done the helmet and shoulder pads, knees and shin guards in grey but failed to do the body armour the same colour?
What is going on with the fatigues at the back?

Sorry not my cup of tea. If you add another 20 mins you could make sure that everything was block coloured and tidy then ink sectnios rather than army painter, (why people think that one shade will do all the colours of the rainbow I'll never know). That way you'll get a nicely clean figure, that you could go back to when you become more skilled.

No malice hopefully just useful encouragement
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Online Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 06:07:47 PM »
Sorry not my cup of tea. If you add another 20 mins you could make sure that everything was block coloured and tidy then ink sectnios rather than army painter, (why people think that one shade will do all the colours of the rainbow I'll never know). That way you'll get a nicely clean figure, that you could go back to when you become more skilled.

Simple...I want them painted. If I painted them like I regularly do the miniature woult take at least 6-10 hours each...no way I'm doing this on 13 models which I only want to use for gaming. So no blending, no freehands, just fast and simple results. They may not be the best results, but they work on the table :)
But I'll redo the body armour, that was a bit of a brain fart.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:50:22 PM »
That's the thing.  If you want them quick, you do have to sacrifice a bit of quality.  I just got 6 of these same models done, but it took a week. (granted, I just worked on them on my breaks here at work)  The quality of mine are not much more that what you have here....

This is a far cry better than playing with not painted, or just primered minis.

Online Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
Okay, took the comments from Vyper and Frothers and spent another 20 minutes to redo the armour plates, highlight the fatigues (mostly on the backside) and define the gun better (although the Dullcote took most of the highlights away again...doh).

After all, that's what a test model is for 8)

Version 1.1

Offline TheShadow

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »
armour looks a lot better now in my opinion - before it was a little too weathered for me
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"
"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay.... The Shadow knows!"

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 08:36:13 PM »
The second one looks much better. I think that little bit extra time is definately worth it. I think they'll look very good on table.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:10:51 PM »
You're most welcome ;)

(Nicely improved there for little effort a very nice return).

Now about the base: too much paint, clogging the detail.

Go for simple drybrushing with practically zero paint on the brush and you will get a much nicer finish.

This was simply tin bitz drybrush with a black ink wash and a boltgun light highlight, probably took 10 mins for all 20 bases.

Again there's quick and there's sloppy, the former should not lead onto the latter.

;)

The Commander
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:49:42 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:48:01 PM »
The updated version is much better. It's about the standard I achieve, but it takes me much longer  :(

A couple of squads of these will look good on the table  :)

Online Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 06:41:10 AM »
@Vyper: disagree on the base. Actually, you can't see the details at all on the photo due to the angle. You have a totally different effect on your bases than mine...different approach and different results. I went for a rusty and dark metallic base, like this:

Easily done with thin washes. I'll do some pigment weathering once they're all done to get that dry and crusty effect.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 07:09:43 AM »
@Vyper: disagree on the base. Actually, you can't see the details at all on the photo due to the angle. You have a totally different effect on your bases than mine...different approach and different results. I went for a rusty and dark metallic base, like this:

Easily done with thin washes. I'll do some pigment weathering once they're all done to get that dry and crusty effect.

No problem, at the end of the day your BBQ ultimately, just looks more messy than rusty sorry. (look at the step with a thick smear of army painter on it).

Look forward to seeing it with pigment.

The Commander