Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:01:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some Pulp Graphics!  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Some Pulp Graphics!
« on: July 28, 2010, 02:41:11 AM »
I've had a dodgy internet connection at home the last month or so (bloody wireless...) so I've been forced to do things on my computer other than just surf LAF and random sites. Shocking, I know.

Mostly, I've been exercising my Inkscape chops, with occasional use of GIMP as well.

This one is based on a 45A game we played last year, roughly in the style of 20s/30s magazine covers:

The infamous "Red Lily", real name unknown, is one of our recurring characters, along with various henchgoons from her "Red Air International". She's an air pirate, saboteur, and international troublemaker. Here's a WiP sheet of various versions of her air pirate insignia:

This just might be one of the zeppelins she skulks around in:

This image started out as a diagram from an old book I found on Internet Archive in PDF format, cleaned up and converted to SVG in Inkscape.

Finally, Rich of Rattrap Games might recognize this building:

Pardon the SAMPLE disfiguring of it, but it's still WiP. It's part of a series of period-style travel stickers I'm working on - the sort of thing you'd put on the side of your travelling bag to show how well-travelled you are. I've done London, Paris, Rome, and New Commerce City so far, and have plans for Cairo, Arkham, and various other pulpy destinations, both real and other!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: Some Pulp Graphics!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 12:38:46 AM »
No feedback here, but people are viewing these things, so here's another one...

Creating tobacco ads feels odd, even if they're fictional.

Offline Poctaman

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:16:22 AM »
Very impressive!  The Red Air International especially is beautiful.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »
Love the pulp comic/book. How easy/difficult is that to do? Is the software available for free?

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 05:39:56 AM »
Love the pulp comic/book. How easy/difficult is that to do? Is the software available for free?

The main program I used for all these images is Inkscape, which is free (Open Source, in fact) and available for Windows, Mac & Linux. It's a vector graphics program, so closer to Illustrator than Photoshop.

Working with vector graphics is a bit different from Photoshop-style graphics work, but once you get used to it it's incredibly powerful. Vector graphics are infinitely scalable, for example - I could print that Aviator Cigs image out big enough to cover a tabletop, and it'd be as crisp as an image the size of a cigarette pack. Try that with a JPG!

The "book cover" has been in progress for far too long, since just after the game it's supposed to commemorate sometime in mid-2009! That said, it wasn't a diffficult image to put together, I just kept fiddling with it, leaving it for ages, then coming back again. There's parts of other projects in there too - the Red Air International insignia behind the red block introducing Red Lily the Air Pirate, for example. I do that a lot - never delete a file, keep them all and let them cross-pollinate!

Good authentic fonts are an important part of a period look; using Times New Roman/Arial/etc just wouldn't give the same "look". One awesome source of free 20s/30s fonts is Zapatopi's Fonts; half a dozen fonts sourced directly from period publications and digitized. I'd have to check, but I think all the text in all the images here are in various Zapatopi fonts. Dafont is another favourite font-source; there's some good pulp-era stuff, and lots of fun things like the comic-book special effects font]http://www.dafont.com/sound-fx.font]comic-book special effects font that provided the "explosion" graphic behind "Explosions, Mayhem & Thrills".

Inkscape has great tutorials built-in, and SVGs (the native format of Inkscape) are easy to "disect" or pull apart to see how they're made. Give it a shot, and just play for a while.

I can put the SVG originals of some of these graphics up, if anyone wants to poke at them in Inkscape. Let me know!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:16:05 AM »
Three more for fun.

Aviator Tobacco makes another appearance:

Some advertising, possibly for the side of a hangar:

And the first obviously alt-hist/World More Pulpish piece of advertising:

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »
These really are excellent. As you say, people are looking, but not leaving many comments, so I'll join the few and say, well done that chap!

I'm glad to see Inkscape working well too, I've used it a little but my machine at home is so old and in need of scrapping that I haven't dared to try to download it here (I've used it at college though). Perhaps it's time for me to try something a bit creative with it...

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:54:37 PM »
I always love it when people do well thought out alt/pulp/vsf advertisements and the like. I love that zep. advert  8)

Offline Photographer

• Mad Scientist
    • Double 0 Sven
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 12:18:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing.
Secret Agent KKBB Blog

http://double0sven.blogspot.com/

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 03:46:54 AM »
Wirelizard they are great! Print some up on good photopaper and I'll buy some to decorate the toy room. :D
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Wraith

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 01:05:55 PM »
These are really nice.
I run a lot of pulp RPGs and I use a lot of handouts for clues.
I have improved the quality over the years, but They arent up to the snuff of your work yet.
Have I mentioned that I am computer challenged?...

Keep up the good work!

Wraith   
I suppose you will be wanting your ear back now that you have answered my questions -The Wraith

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 02:01:50 PM »
Wonderful graphics! I love 'em. Very well done!
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 02:31:16 PM »
They are getting better and better.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 08:12:35 AM »
I've been pushing pixels again. Two of these are a substantial rework of old projects (reworked to the point of being a whole new project, really), one of them is entirely new.

Fighting Tales: The Bridge of Doom

Fighting Tales: Lost City of the Dino Men

Fighting Tales: Peril in the Far Pamirs

(Nov. 13 Update: All three graphics replaced, to correct typographic errors that had crept in while I worked on these on two different computers...)

I'm much happier with these than the earlier attempts at a magazine cover; they're much closer in style to real pulp-era magazine covers than before!

"Dino Men" and "Bridge of Doom" are from games we played in the last year or two; "Far Pamirs" is from a scenario that hasn't even gotten past the 'basic concept' stage of planning! (I don't even own more than about half the figures needed for "Far Pamirs", for starters...)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:07:58 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »
Well done, you! Great links to some very useful resources.