Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:25:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Computer/graphics program to tilt or flatten images so they appear flat?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Frequently I find images of city signs and displays that are slightly tilted to one side (shot not taken straight on) and I would like to use those, if only I could find a program that lets me modify said imagine into a rectangular shape. I hope this makes sense? Anyone know of a graphics program, preferably free, that lets me do that?

For instance, see this image:

I want to tilt/agle it such a way the city sign becomes flat, rectangular, and usable for me, like this:. Anyone?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:26:02 PM by Gunbird »
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Barbarian

• Librarian
Photoshop ?

Perspective tool.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
I used Photoshop and selected the sign, deleted the background and used the Edit > Transform > Distort option to line the edges up with some guidelines I placed over the image.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
Typically, I had a Photoshop that you could download for free a while back on my recently deceased PC....I need to find that again and get a Photoshop for Dummies book I think.

Thx Barbarian, Earther for the hint/help
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:39:44 PM by Gunbird »

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
Happy to help Johan. :D

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
I think GIMP has an equivalent function, and that one is free, open-source, and for that, reasonably user-friendly. If you could wait for it, I'll check once I'm back home by six o'clock or so.

EDIT: Checked, and it does. There is a manual perspective function that can be used for your purposes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:43:42 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
I think GIMP has an equivalent function

Second that. Definitely does.

Offline Raxxus

• Mad Scientist
Office lens? lol otherwise photoshop.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
Thx gents, if I can't find that free and obsolete version of Photoshop again I will Gimp a try for my needs. Even if saying that just sounds so very wrong....

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
Try Gimpshop.  Gimp that looks like PS.  Way easier than Gimp.
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
Try Gimpshop.  Gimp that looks like PS.  Way easier than Gimp.

Word of warning: Gimpshop hasn't been actively maintained in years, and no longer reflects modern versions of either PhotoShop or GIMP. If you do download GS, get it from the original archive here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimpshop.mirror/

Do not DL from the shiny official-looking GimpShop site, as it is not run by anyone affiliated with the creation or maintaining of GS. It's basically a scam site pretending to be the official GimpShop site. The version available from this site will be either a hotlink of the archive above, or a malware-modded but otherwise un-updated re-hosting. There is no actual official GimpShop site. The official GS project is dead, in part because this very scam site's activities, and as of this writing there are no legit public forks.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
Paint.net should also do the trick- an open-source equivalent of Paint Shop Pro.
Olaf Meys
admin at Mainly28s.com
also known as le Comte du Flandre and Immelmann

http://mainly28s.com

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Paint.net should also do the trick- an open-source equivalent of Paint Shop Pro.

Sadly, it doesn't appear to do so - I couldn't find a transform tool except for basic scaling and rotation in the 4.0.5 version I run.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
Good info about gimpshop.  I haven'downloaded it in ages.  DO avoid the scamsites and try connectamabob's link.  For something simple like this an old version would be fine.  I'm not sure if any of the paint programs will allow you to "transform"objects like you're hoping to do.