Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:33:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New building construction  (Read 2597 times)

Offline True

• Assistant
  • Team Pygmy
New building construction
« on: August 11, 2010, 04:53:21 AM »
I am charged with constructing a rather large fantasy city for next year's Pygmy Horror game. Our setting will be the same world as this year's game but with a zoomed in focus on one or two primary towns. My plan is 30 buildings in all as a ball park figure and as I am off work right now (another week or so remaining) and my dog has been laid up with a back injury,  I have been constructing like a mad man.

Three buildings in view here. A large house (my favorite so far) a corner house and a brig in the back. Each is in a different state of completion.

These are two from the beginning of my project...I think they will end up being reworked as the scale feels a bit off for me. They certainly work, but I was still experimenting with textures here and I am not entirely thrilled with the result.

I started this building about 15 years ago for a large adventure RPG I ran with my writing partner. The interior got finished enough to use but the exterior didn't so I pulled it out for completion. I started working on sculpey architectural details here and have since improved my techniques.

This is the backside of building one. All of the stonework, the doors and the windows are sculpey work. I may start trying to cast masters for reuse but each piece only takes about 10 minutes so I may keep doing one offs for variety.

I am borrowing inspiration from buildings I see on line so feel free to add in any shots I can steal from.

True

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: New building construction
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
If my google-fu is working, this (link here) is a set of images for Lavenham in Suffolk, England, and this (link here) is a link to images of the Weald and Downland Museum, somewhere in the south of England (East Sussex I think).

One is a substantially-complete late-medieval/early modern town, the other is an architectural museum with re-assembled 16th-18th cerntury houses. Both should provide plenty of eye-candy and general inspiration I think.

From a modelling point of view, if I can direct you to TerraGenesis, this (link here) should take you to a series of images of the fantasy town of 'Takshendal' by a modeller known as Moif, from Danmark. I keep coming back to it because it's so well done it staggers my mind.

If you liked that, you might also like a look at some of the other collections on TerraGenesis; the 'Alchemist's Shop' (link here), 'Snitchy's Inn' (link here) and 'Shop House' (link here), all by Snitchythedog, Ashton's 'Mordheim Dice Tower' (link here), the 'Mordheim Table' by Todd Peters (link here) and Ariss's 'Medieval/Fantasy Village' (link here). I've collected some of these examples and others (sadly none of them my own work) into a TerraGenesis gallery (link here) called 'Medieval domestic architecture' which isn't entirely accurate but it's close.

Hope some of this is as inspiring to you as it is to me!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:42:36 PM by Red Orc »

Offline True

• Assistant
  • Team Pygmy
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:46:57 PM »
Thanks Red Orc,
I am enjoying the tour of Lavenham. I must consider a crooked building or two in my town. You help is appreciated.

True

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »
I was there (Lavenham) for a brief visit a week ago, but rather stupidly didn't take any pictures - oh well, there's always google.

I was surprised by how crooked they were - many looked like they should have fallen over several hundred years ago. Most of them, really! I suppose if you build a house out of mud and trees, it's not always going to come out straight.

Keep us up to date with you project, it looks really good so far (and I don't think the house you think looks out of scale looks bad at all - I'd be happy to have it on my table).

One thing to bear in mind is the slightly larger upper floor (technically it's known as a 'jetee') is usually only found on townhouses at the front. It's copied from farmhouse styles where there were no neighbouring houses, but most townhouses would be built in rows. Therefore, at the sides, they'd probably go straight up.

There might be some decent images if you google 'medieval Southampton', and York is also likely to throw up images of medieval houses. Good luck!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:05:08 PM »
Very pretty!

I have, by a quirk of fate, a hankerin'to build some fanatasy/D&D terrain

This inspires
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!