Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:02:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Front Rank late C17th musketeers and pikemen  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Front Rank late C17th musketeers and pikemen
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:23:23 PM »
Just released. These are most appropriate for the Sedgemoor campaign, although they can also be used to garrison remote outposts in Gibraltar or the Caribbean, or as marines. They are a tad late for Bacon's rebellion in Virginia though. Here's hoping Alex Brown will also do some proper French types with bunches of ribbons on the right shoulder.

http://www.frontrank.com/

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Re: Front Rank late C17th musketeers and pikemen
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:19:12 AM »
Re ribbons on the shoulders: until there are Front Rank figures with ribbons on the shoulders, one can paint on ribbons over some blacklining.  I've seen that done effectively.  If a more 3d effect is desired, then a bit of wire or very thin solder could be glued on.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:25:15 AM »
Brilliant paint! For the "skeletal hands" effect: does it blend when seen from tabletop distance?
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:35:42 PM »
Re ribbons on the shoulders: until there are Front Rank figures with ribbons on the shoulders, one can paint on ribbons over some blacklining.  I've seen that done effectively.  If a more 3d effect is desired, then a bit of wire or very thin solder could be glued on.

Green stuff can also do the trick, but doing a whole army that way might prove a bit tedious   o_o

And there's more to French soldiers of the period than bunches of ribbons on the shoulders anyway.Prior to 1703, the bayonet was not worn on the waistbelt as is the case with the Front Rank figures : it was carried instead on the right hip behind the flap which protected the powder flask and the bullet bag. The hat was also partially cocked and was beginning to assume the shape of a very informal tricorn, whereas Dutch and English troops tended to wear broad-brimmed uncocked hats. Enough differences to warrant the production of specific figures, methinks...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:41:37 PM by Arthur »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:59:27 PM »
They'd be very useful for pirate games that are more historical-based rather than POTC-style. Although they'd obviously be just as good as tricorne-wearing marines for fighting undead pirates  lol

Very tempting!

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:28:35 PM »
Lovely figures, though muskets are too short which is a shame
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:28:17 PM »
Lovely figures, though muskets are too short which is a shame

I'm not so sure  :?

They appear to reach the armpit/shoulder if the figures were "at attention", which is about right.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »
I'm not so sure  :?

They appear to reach the armpit/shoulder if the figures were "at attention", which is about right.

Either that or they are too bulky.  Either way they dont look right

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 08:23:01 AM »
Either that or they are too bulky.  Either way they dont look right

That's true, but then again I'm struggling to think of many 28mm ranges where weapons aren't too bulky. Possibly the Perrys, but very few others. I assume it's a because most 28mm figures are deformed ogres and it also helps with sturdiness and ease of casting.

Still lovely, but not strictly accurate. Oh well.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »
These are most appropriate for the Sedgemoor campaign, although they can also be used to garrison remote outposts in Gibraltar or the Caribbean, or as marines. They are a tad late for Bacon's rebellion in Virginia though.
Guess what, I think their best fit is proper European Continental warfare. :o ;)
Jokes aside, they should go nicely with Copplestone's (ever to be augmented?) Sun King range. Regarding their 'bulkiness', me thinks they are better proportioned than most of Front Rank's former releases. It's the price one pays for clear (i.e. easy to paint) details. So, I like 'em.