Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:28:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690827
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: FUBAR-Free Modern/Sci Fi Ruleset  (Read 23441 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
FUBAR-Free Modern/Sci Fi Ruleset
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »
I just wanted post a quick blurb about a new ruleset from Craig Cartmell. It's a skirmish set called FUBAR, and like Craig's other games (such as Forge of War) it is very deceptively simple but offers lots of complexity and realism. The greatest bit (apart from the fact that it is free, of course) is that the rules all fit neatly on one page. Additional 1-page modules are availabe for gaming in specific settings, such as Stargate, Star Wars, Hammer's Slammers, and the like. More are being cranked out by Craig and his active, lively Yahoo community developers. The core rules and several supplements are available on Craig's blog here: http://thegamesshed.wordpress.com/2010/06/17/fubar-one-page-sfmodern-rules/

And for those interested, if you follow the link from the blog to the Forge of War Yahoo group and join, there are further supplements available, including ones for 40K, medieval/fantasy/Lord of the Rings, and others. With all the interest in FUBAR on the part of its fans thus far, it looks like it will be a well supported game (especially for a free ruleset) for some time to come.

Please feel free to check out the rules and supplements at the link provided. As they are one-page rules, it certainly won't take much of an investment of your time to look them over.  :D :D :D :D

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: FUBAR-Free Modern/Sci Fi Ruleset
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:02:16 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, this looks pretty interesting.  :)

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 07:17:30 AM »
Fubar is a really fun, fast and action packed set of rules. My son and I have used it for Stargate games. We are going to use it for our ALIEN, Terminator and Star Wars figs too. Love the rule set!

Thanks,

John
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
Well worth having a look at  :D

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »
Guys, I think if my head swells anymore I won't get out of the forum door  :D

The truth is that I come up with a half-baked idea and hand it over to the team in the Forge of War Yahoo Group to sort out, which they duly do. As the rules are free (and shall ever remain so) the only reward is our own satisfaction with a job well done, and anyone who contributes gets credited in the next published edition.

FUBAR though does seem to be gathering steam. Several of the team have already contributed new force supplements (one page army lists for these one page rules), and more are on the way.

For example, many of us love the Warhammer 40K universe, but the endlessly changing and overly complex rules make our heads spin. So we currently have two approaches for converting W40K to FUBAR. Both will get published in the next week or two.

Personally, after the W40K lists are done, I will be focusing on WW1 & WW2 supplements, such as:
In Dark of Night - Trench Raiding in WW1.
Freedom! - The Easter Rising in Dublin 1916.
The Eagle & the Bear - Streetfighting in Stalingrad 1942.
Patchwork Hell - Fighting through the Normandy Bocage in 1944.
Where Caesar Stood - Fighting in the Italian Peninsula 1944.
A Bridge Too Far - Operation Market Garden, Arnhem 1944.
Banzai! - Island Fighting in the Pacific 1944-45.
When Old England's Done - The Walmington-on-sea Home Guard versus dastardly German Paratroopers 1940.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
MAssive fan of Craig Cartmells rules think there superb got a couple of the ones hes wrote.
Thanks for sharing
Steve

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »
For example, many of us love the Warhammer 40K universe, but the endlessly changing and overly complex rules make our heads spin. So we currently have two approaches for converting W40K to FUBAR. Both will get published in the next week or two.

I'm not a great fan of 40K myself - far too complicated and prone to "anti-rules-lawyer" ammendments- but my lad loves it. The trouble is I'm too old to get my head round the rules and he's too young to devote the many hours needed to learn all the stuff in there.

A 40K FUBAR conversion would be just the ticket, so we can finally get some games played with his stuff :D

Please post updates on the LAF, as I'll forget to look at your site  :(

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 05:09:45 PM »
One thing I don't see is how large a unit is expected to be, and what happens if you exceed the maximum allowed number of shaken figures.

Looks really cool though.  I'm trying to figure out if this would work for my VSF/Aeronef battles I want to play.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
I hadn't even heard of these rule.... just downloading them now.

I think i will take a peak at them in-game next week (after colours) and see if i can fit them into the G.O.T. 'verse... looks to be some potential for that given the wide variety of weapons/situations/periods it can cope with...?
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 09:59:30 PM »
Hi Froggy,

The size of a unit depends on what forces you are using. For example a WWII British Infantry section is ten men, a Space Marine Combat Squad is five supermen etc. The one page force supplements give the recommended sizes.

The maximum number of suppressed figures depends entirely on your training level. Thanks to my collaborators on the yahoo group this is much clearer in the second edition (now available on the blog).

Essentially you cannot exceed the maximum number of suppressed figures. All further hits cause casualties.

If you want a leg up with VSF download the Stargate 1895 supplement. This is based on the idea of the British finding the Egyptian Stargate in 1895...

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »
Please post updates on the LAF, as I'll forget to look at your site  :(

Hi Gluteus,

Now I've found these excellent fora you can be assured that I and other members of our little band will keep you all apprised of new releases :)

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 11:04:07 PM »
Hi Froggy,

The size of a unit depends on what forces you are using. For example a WWII British Infantry section is ten men, a Space Marine Combat Squad is five supermen etc. The one page force supplements give the recommended sizes.

The maximum number of suppressed figures depends entirely on your training level. Thanks to my collaborators on the yahoo group this is much clearer in the second edition (now available on the blog).

Essentially you cannot exceed the maximum number of suppressed figures. All further hits cause casualties.

If you want a leg up with VSF download the Stargate 1895 supplement. This is based on the idea of the British finding the Egyptian Stargate in 1895...

Thank you!

Offline Hrothgar

• Scientist
  • "We grow old because we stop playing" - GBS
    • Cheshirekat's Hobby Corner
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 03:33:05 AM »
Wow! Great to see so much interest! Remember, guys, when it comes to Craig's projects, the more REALLY is the merrier. If you would like to see an addition, the Yahoo group is a really a friendly, lively place to field your ideas. And since most supplements are only a page in length, writing won't be a big investment of time. :)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 04:25:24 AM »
My word! Concentrated essence of miniatures gaming!
Must pay attention to this.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »
Normaly when i see " one page rules " you know its going to be pants, so i had a nice surprise when i looked at this PDF and the extras.
 too.

Myself i have been looking for a set of simple rules for turning xbox games onto the tabletop like
Gears of war -  Halo - And the new 40k space marine game. and of course the new Ghost recon coming out.

So well done on this lovely set, i need to try it out at some point, see how it feels, the rules for tanks etc are nice and simple, no tables to keep looking at.

Will you be adding the following -

Traits- for types of unit or heroes
Air attacks
I think thats about it -  Back to the Hooving..!!!