Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:44:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review Kabuki Models Revisited  (Read 3993 times)

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
Review Kabuki Models Revisited
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:43:33 PM »
Today I take an in-depth look at three of the latest Kabuki Models releases, one from each product line 21st Century Pinups, Dark Messiah and Knights of Legend...

http://wargameguru.weebly.com/review---kabuki-models-revisited.html

Enjoy!

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
Re: Review Kabuki Models Revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Arrrrgh! I clicked on the link thinking Kabuki Models would be Japanese historical figures!!!  (Kabuki = traditional Japanese Drama)  lol

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 04:13:54 AM »
Arrrrgh! I clicked on the link thinking Kabuki Models would be Japanese historical figures!!!  (Kabuki = traditional Japanese Drama)  lol

Ahh haha yeah sorry, but they never made any of those. lol

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
Interesting review. Made me look at the line again. I have to agree that the price is prohibitive, but the models are beautiful

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 11:04:14 PM »
i think that some of them are really unique, so they worth that price.
expecially the spartan girl.... someday......  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 11:12:55 PM »
I actually bought the Bug Hunter recently because I fell in love with the detail of the leg armour. I didn't actually realise the model had her breasts showing till after I got her. As far as I can tell she's using her shirt to wipe blood/mud/sweat off her face which I really like and think adds a lot of character, but I assumed she had some kind of skintight suit or underwear on. I'm still undecided if I'll paint her that way.
 ::)

Also I didn't get the gears of war reference till after I got the model and had a good look at the gun. I've never really played or looked at the gears of war games but I knew enough to see the link via the guns chainsaw attachment. I felt she reminded me a lot of Vasquez from aliens, which was another draw along side the beautiful leg armour.

Personally I had no issues about the price for such a good quality model. I've spent more money on similarly sized high quality miniatures or limited edition display pieces before.
 :)

Just a wee point but you say in your review that "Scale-wise, she's 33mm to the eye, so she's a wee bit larger than most 28mm-30mm scale models." I think you may have measured from the bottom of the base which added a few mm to that.

I didn't think she was so tall so I just compared my unbased one to Hasslefree's Eve who is, according to their site, 31mm from feet to the top of her head (don't have anything in reach to actually measure them). Anyway they are exactly the same hight and in pretty similar mostly upright poses. So she fits in fine with 28-30mm range miniatures.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:23:20 PM by Viper »
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 08:52:30 PM »
I actually bought the Bug Hunter recently because I fell in love with the detail of the leg armour. I didn't actually realise the model had her breasts showing till after I got her. As far as I can tell she's using her shirt to wipe blood/mud/sweat off her face which I really like and think adds a lot of character, but I assumed she had some kind of skintight suit or underwear on. I'm still undecided if I'll paint her that way.
 ::)

Also I didn't get the gears of war reference till after I got the model and had a good look at the gun. I've never really played or looked at the gears of war games but I knew enough to see the link via the guns chainsaw attachment. I felt she reminded me a lot of Vasquez from aliens, which was another draw along side the beautiful leg armour.

Personally I had no issues about the price for such a good quality model. I've spent more money on similarly sized high quality miniatures or limited edition display pieces before.

Just a wee point but you say in your review that "Scale-wise, she's 33mm to the eye, so she's a wee bit larger than most 28mm-30mm scale models." I think you may have measured from the bottom of the base which added a few mm to that.

I didn't think she was so tall so I just compared my unbased one to Hasslefree's Eve who is, according to their site, 31mm from feet to the top of her head (don't have anything in reach to actually measure them). Anyway they are exactly the same hight and in pretty similar mostly upright poses. So she fits in fine with 28-30mm range miniatures.

When I first previewed Bug Hunter, Vasquez is the first character to come to mind as well. When I mentioned this to Kabuki, I was told nope, Gears is who she was based on, but that they have a Vasquez-like model in the works too. Actually she's next in line to be released sometime this month.

I also went by what they said at the Kabuki website about the scale, as they have her listed as “33mm to the eye”.  Plus I checked in comparison to other models. When I put her next to the other models that are supposed to be 28mm, she clearly is taller overall. The scenic base pushes her over the limit. My photos clearly show she towers over the AE Bounty, Judge Dredd and Pig Iron Productions models, all of which are 28mm scale. At 33mm they probably meant with the scenic base plate.

Either way, being 1 or 2mm in either direction makes very little to no difference to me, I only include that info for the scale prudes. To me personally it makes little difference. lol

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 09:13:59 PM »
...if they accidentally did such a good Vasquez vibe on this model I can't wait to see how the actual one turns out.
*crosses everything*

As for the scale, yeah it doesn't really matter too much, infact if anything some differences in height make things more interesting and realistic, all people are different shapes and sizes.

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 09:55:15 PM »
...if they accidentally did such a good Vasquez vibe on this model I can't wait to see how the actual one turns out.
*crosses everything*

As for the scale, yeah it doesn't really matter too much, infact if anything some differences in height make things more interesting and realistic, all people are different shapes and sizes.

That's EXACTLY the way I feel too. People are different shapes and sizes, and when I see some people on other forums have a shit-fit over how X model is 2mm more than Y model, or both models from the same company are 1-2mm away from each other, and how they'll boycott their products because of it, I just can't believe how upset some become over it. I wonder what color the sky is in their world too. lol

Is it me, or are the scale prudes usually from the UK too? That's what I've noticed at least.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 10:02:44 PM »
To be true, I was more reminded to Vasquez as I saw the McVey mini.

http://studiomcvey.com/

Lt. Kara Black

It was always Gears of War that popped up for me as Isaw the Kabuki one ;)

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
Well the leg armour was certainly the first thing I noticed with the miniature that's for sure, sold me on it instantly, and after a quick google for Gears of War pictures I can see that it is pretty much a perfect match for their armour.

Taking the upper body of the Bug Hunter and Kara Black they've both certainly been inspired by the same sort of ideas.

I couldn't possibly comment on the nationalities of scale prudes or things popping up though.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:14:34 PM by Viper »

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 03:42:23 AM »
I'm thinking of using her (Bug Hunter) in AE Bounty now, maybe mixed in with some MERCS Minis models. She'd fit right into any one of the three categories... Bounty Hunters, Mercs or Pirates.

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 04:47:30 AM »
Sounds like a really good idea.

I've been thinking about putting some rules for Bugs/Xenomorphs or possibly Tyranids/Genestealer Cults together for AE Bounty ... pretty much Arges on crack.
 8)