Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690786
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Factory Orcs, Amazons and Dwarfs  (Read 16538 times)

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
Re: Wargames Factory Orcs, Amazons and Dwarfs
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 09:44:27 AM »
Well, I am going to have to politely disagree with you gentlemen, and leave it at that.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 12:05:47 PM »
 :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
Well, I am going to have to politely disagree with you gentlemen, and leave it at that.

And this here is why I love this forum.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 03:15:43 PM »

Is there any pictures of the Dwarf WIP?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »
Is there any pictures of the Dwarf WIP?

Not yet.  According to the coming soon page they are still being sculpted.  Figure we should see one sooner than later.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 04:15:57 PM »
Interestingly (I think it's interesting anyway) WF just won the 'Best New Historicals Range' vote over at TMP for their Vikings. Not definitive proof that they're great figures, but they certainly seem to have impressed some people that they can get things right.

I've been a supporter of WF for a while not necessarily because they've yet produced the greatest minis in the world but because I really want the idea to work. As a model for how a comapny organises its production I think it could be absolutely awesome.

Sadly for me, the 'Amazon' models they've produced are not the Ancient Greek/South American/fantasy Atlantean mashup some of us were advocating, but fairly straight 'fantasy Greek' models. Nothing wrong with that, they're talking about doing Centaurs and other creatures from Greek mythology, so perhaps we can expect a kind of Odyssey/Jason and the Argonauts style background and mini range, but it knocks my plans for female Atlanteans back a bit, as well as the Tekemul potential of the original Fantasy Amazon sprue, I would think...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 11:41:03 PM »
the weapons don't look like they are being held, merely hovering or glued to the hand

I think this is the biggest issue with their way of doing things, btw. I would much prefer weapons molded into the hands, then alternative weapons with hands molded on, so I just had to cut off the hand with the unwanted weapon and polycement the new one on. Would improve the looks a whole lot.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 05:25:52 AM »
The arm/torso join in those pictures does look like it needs a bit of work.  But I like the overall style of these figures.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 07:32:14 AM »
I've mentioned this on their boards.  The figures are a pain to put together until you get a rhythm going.  Having the hands attached to the weapons would be a better idea, even if the hands were separate from the arms.

I think this is the biggest issue with their way of doing things, btw. I would much prefer weapons molded into the hands, then alternative weapons with hands molded on, so I just had to cut off the hand with the unwanted weapon and polycement the new one on. Would improve the looks a whole lot.

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 01:00:44 PM »
I guess the complaints here is a product of 3D computer modeled models, versus sculpted.

I have some Vikings and Saxons to review from them soon, so I'll see how well they go together, and if they look unnatural once assembled, or not. However, the Shock Troops models were quite nice I thought, and at a $20 bill for 18 models I couldn't complain too much about them.

I think even for 3D computer generated stuff, they have place in the market. Also eventually as the software evolves more, they'll be able to pull off a lot nicer sculpts, it's only a matter of time.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2010, 08:26:12 PM »
the Shock Troops models were quite nice I thought, and at a $20 bill for 18 models I couldn't complain too much about them.

The Shock Tropops have their right hand molded onto the handle of the gun, which looks more natural.

I don't really like the 'open hand' solution - I would still not hesitate to use the vikings/saxons as fillers for army units, as they are a cheap alternative to other models, but for small warbands/skirmish games I would choose other options, if for the hands, only - Gripping Beast's plastic Viking Hirdmen is a good example with 44 minis for £18 (£0.41 each).

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 12:42:33 AM »
I really like wargames factory stuff. I got a couple of shock troopers and zombies and the level of detail is just as good or better than most and the actual design choices are the best in the bluishness in my opinion.
The only problem are that the zombies are a bit small and have very realistic propotions so they can be difficult to paint. I carved down the necks on the shock troopers and used the long neck joint for the zombies to make them have unnatural poses. If a great painter gave the wargames factory zombies a chance I think a lot of people would change their mind. I really do not understand where all the dislike of wargames factory comes from? They are going for their own style of figures and should not be compared to games workshop at all. The shocktroopers guns are not at all lasguns, the zombies are VERY unlike warhammer zombies in every way.
In fact I think its sad that people do not open their eyes for wargames factory. Their shock troopers are amazingly cool and the realistic propotions of their zombies makes them a lot more scary than regular comical zombies.
Sorry for going on a minor rant its just that I have been a miniature fan since the 90'ties and its first now I seen entire lines from a company that makes cool, cheap minis that does not have unnecessary details.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »
The Shock Troopers were a huge improvement.  I loved that the guns were attached, made the figures so much easier to assemble.  Around the same time I put together some Starship Troopers plastic marines, they were an utter pain in the arse.  Most of them didn't come out looking right.

When they eventually get to producing WWII minis I hope they go the shock trooper route and have the rifles and machine guns attached.  The computer generated greens seem to suggest they are going to do it that way.

The Shock Tropops have their right hand molded onto the handle of the gun, which looks more natural.

I don't really like the 'open hand' solution - I would still not hesitate to use the vikings/saxons as fillers for army units, as they are a cheap alternative to other models, but for small warbands/skirmish games I would choose other options, if for the hands, only - Gripping Beast's plastic Viking Hirdmen is a good example with 44 minis for £18 (£0.41 each).

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2010, 07:27:27 AM »
 Around the same time I put together some Starship Troopers plastic marines, they were an utter pain in the arse. 

I never managed to assemble more than 3 plastic cap troopers. I can paint an entire orc warband for LotR Battle Companies in the same time that it takes me to trim and assemble one of those  lol

Absolutely crazy level of multi-parting - and almost entirely impossible to get the arms/weapons right  :`

When they eventually get to producing WWII minis I hope they go the shock trooper route and have the rifles and machine guns attached.  The computer generated greens seem to suggest they are going to do it that way.

I hope they go for that solution on all new sets they produce - and I would like to see a reboot of the existing ancient/dark age sets with remolded hands as well. Would make me much more likely to buy them.

And as I'm reading Bernard Cornwells story about Uthred of Bebbanburg (in bits - havingnot much time for reading...) I have an urge for vikings and saxons  ;)

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 08:21:51 AM »
Funny you mention LotR.  That's why I started collecting some of their ancient lines.  The Vikings, Germans and Saxons are rounding out my forces of men.  I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming orcs.

The Starship troopers minis make the WF figures look easy.  The zombies irritated me to no end, but I stuck it out and assembled / painted ten of them.  With the Starship Troopers, I put together three of them and quit.  The heads are nice, with the plastic see through visor.  Given I got them on the cheap, they are going to stay in my closet till I come up with a use for them. 

I never managed to assemble more than 3 plastic cap troopers. I can paint an entire orc warband for LotR Battle Companies in the same time that it takes me to trim and assemble one of those  lol

Absolutely crazy level of multi-parting - and almost entirely impossible to get the arms/weapons right  :`

I hope they go for that solution on all new sets they produce - and I would like to see a reboot of the existing ancient/dark age sets with remolded hands as well. Would make me much more likely to buy them.

And as I'm reading Bernard Cornwells story about Uthred of Bebbanburg (in bits - havingnot much time for reading...) I have an urge for vikings and saxons  ;)