Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:06:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690915
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 641
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Allan Quatermain Zulu Trilogy  (Read 14760 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Allan Quatermain Zulu Trilogy
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 06:07:56 PM »
It is a sad testament to the fact that things had to get a lot worse before they got any better in that in the original novel the "love interest" character is a black woman, rather than a fiery-haired Deborah Kerr type. Something seemingly acceptable in an 1885 novel, but not the Hollywood of 1950. So much for progress.

I'm not a huge fan of either version, they leave out all the best bits and replace them with boring or stupid shit, as film-makers always seem wont to do. As I recall neither has the big Zulu battle which is the best part of the book. For my Deborah Kerr fix I like to watch Black Narcissus. Spooky, unnerving, and unintentionally hilarious by turns.

I've never seen the 1937 version of King Solomon's Mines, but I'd like to, as it is supposed to stay much truer to the book than the others. It also has Paul Robeson singing in it, apparently!
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 12:22:12 PM »
Just got a couple of packs of those 1st Corps Xhosa. Can't say I'm hugely impressed with them, to be honest. I think I've been spoiled a bit by Mr. Copplestone's sculpting and that's making me a bit too fussy in my old age. Hopefully they'll look okay painted up, so I reckon they'll do. Size wise they're okay. A bit more slender than some figures but they'll fit in okay, I think.

Lord knows why they put loin cloths on the "Young Warriors." If there is one thing the Xhosa didn't do it was loin cloths. It's odd, because the "Xhosa Warriors" pack isn't afraid to show us arses and winkies.  ???

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »
Pretty much agree with everything you have said especially about Copplestone sculpts. Im sure the Xhosa will look just grand after a paint job by yourself. Mine are in the queue.

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 02:01:32 AM »
Just got back from vacation,so i missed the start of this post,but thanks for the book review I have some of Haggards work but have had difficulty with the 19th century style of his writing so have never actually gotten more than a few chapters in! I will have to give it another go!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
If you don't enjoy it I wouldn't try to force it. If I am struggling with a book I'll stop reading it rather than have it become a millstone around my neck. It's supposed to be fun! Guess Haggard isn't for everyone: I've read about people struggling with the older style of writing, but I've always found his work really accessible. I think you just have to accept that you're not going to like everything, and move on without worrying about it.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »
I did old prose. Just got a 1931 B.O.P in the mail and content, wording and values are ace entertainment.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »
B.O.P?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 01:30:28 PM »
The Boy's Own Paper. You *are* from Great Britain, aren't you, or is all that 'cheerio, toodle pip, !' a façade?  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »
Ah yes. Never seen it referred to as an acronym before. Also never read it. Too young, you see. It finished a few years before I was born. I am from the era of comics, myself: Victor, Battle, Action, Commando, War Picture Library, Whizzer and Chips, The Beano and The Dandy, etc.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »
Ah yes. Never seen it referred to as an acronym before. Also never read it. Too young, you see. It finished a few years before I was born. I am from the era of comics, myself: Victor, Battle, Action, Commando, War Picture Library, Whizzer and Chips, The Beano and The Dandy, etc.

They refer to themselves as BOP in adds and editorials.

I shall share a secret with you: I got the magazine because I think I shall use as graphical inspiration for my webpage. Currently it is all over the place, as I just slap together a page without uniformity and style when I have something to show. I am contemplating calling it "The Lads' Own Lead" and use a 1920s-1930s style copy and nick a few nick a few contemporary adds and illustrations to mix with the miniature/scenery photographs.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »
That would explain why I am unfamiliar with it then. As it had ceased publication before my birth I never saw an ad for or editorial from it.  :)

I like your idea. A bit like what the Prof did with his site, though nonetheless worth doing.

By the way, I don't really do cheerio and toodle pip. I think you are thinking of Malamute there.  ;) If upon times you do catch me doing it, then it is most definitely a façade. Despite the crackpot claims about royal connections by my mad uncle, my natural demeanour is that of a surly, rustic (and drunken) peasant.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
I like your idea. A bit like what the Prof did with his site, though nonetheless worth doing.

Yes, it may not appear fully original but where Alex's is using a pulp style I will try to capture the feel of B.O.P, which is all about cricket, brave Imperial soldiers, home electronics, fret sawing and stamp collecting. I shall endeavour to make it less wholesome and a little more wicked.

By the way, I don't really do cheerio and toodle pip. I think you are thinking of Malamute there.  ;) If upon times you do catch me doing it, then it is most definitely a façade. Despite the crackpot claims about royal connections by my mad uncle, my natural demeanour is that of a surly, rustic (and drunken) peasant.

So I have noticed. I was just messing with you. :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
Of course you realise I wasn't meaning to belittle the idea by comparing it with the Prof's site. Far from it. I really like it, especially the bit about Imperial soldiers and cricket. Imperial soldiers actually playing cricket would be even better.

England were playing the Afridis* last night at cricket, and our boys triumphed, winning the series 3-2.  Hurrah and God save the Queen, etc. :)

*Well, Pakistan, but their captain's name is Afridi.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 10:44:37 AM »
So I have noticed. I was just messing with you. :)

Tut, tut.  Take a cold tub, sir!
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 12:07:55 PM »
Tut, tut.  Take a cold tub, sir!

Plynkes and I have been locking horns occasionally since the day mother delivered Nils. There is no ill will at all. :)