Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 09:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vuvuzela, god's gift onto wargamers.  (Read 4056 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Vuvuzela, god's gift onto wargamers.
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
Or the devils onto our ears. Anyhow, I was planning to do something with this idea for Lets build contest but am without a camera for a while so no pics.

Anyhow, we had a vuvuzela lying around and I found myself wondering how I could put it to use in wargaming. (besides torturing friend and foe alike that is)

The first and foremost thing I cam up with is a wizards tower for fantasy games. placing a small cylindrical room on top and a dome or cone roof should do the trick, perhaps ad a telescope while at it. This is what I am planning to do as it will mimic warhammer High elf architecture quite nicely, and my buddy has been pestering me about making HE terrain for a while now.

Secondly, and I really should get another one of the blasted things for this, I am working on a giant monster board in 1/300 scale. The accursed thing should make a perfect base for a broadcasting and observation tower that one might find in many a mayor city!

Beyond that I could imagine a variant of the second idea being a airship dock for all sort of genres.

So what Ideas do you guys have? I am sure the brilliant minds of the LAF can come up with much better uses for it?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:54:01 AM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
Re: Vuvuzela, god's gift into wargamers.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:10:04 AM »
Sorry, even though I live in the US I did follow the Cup.  However I don't think many of us actually purchased a Vuvuzela.  And if we did I don't know many that would then want to convert it.  Cool idea though.

Maybe a really big gun, or really bit smoke stack on a giant VSF landship?  

Maybe the beginnings of a steampunk costume blunderbuss type weapon?

Have Fun!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:26:26 AM by leadfool »
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:11:07 AM »
Ah yes, I suppose I might have made a mis-assumption there there, you see over here pretty much everybody got a free vuvuzela from the postal service as some sort of advertisement campaign. This makes them common and cheap as bricks. I assumed other countries suffered the same kind of misguided advertisement, it never crossed my mind somebody would actually pay for one of the blasted things!  lol

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »
I like the wizard's tower idea.

A section cut from somewhere near the wide end might make a good power plant cooling tower, especially in 6mm.

I saw a little bit of the games on TV. I thought the constant noise of all the vuvuzelas (vuvuzelae? Vuvuzelii?) in the background sounded rather like a swarm of angry bees. Must have been utterly bleeding-from-the-ears deafening to anyone actually in the stands.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
Re: Vuvuzela, god's gift onto wargamers.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
A surface dock for those large vessels in which the human military uses to fight alien kaiju from? I do like the airship docking facility idea.

Thankfully, one cannot find vuvuzelas in my part of this country. :)
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:43:23 AM »
Nope, no vuvuzela's around here either. In fact I had to remind myself what they looked like...

High Elf style tower would work very well I think. Here are some pics to be helpful :)

So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:50:22 AM »
Those pics give me another idea: with suitable texturing, they could be used as ginormous tree trunks.

Go about soliciting unwanted vuvuzelii from one's neighbors and/or coworkers, and you could make a whole Endor/Lothlorien table.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:52:48 AM by Connectamabob »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:55:10 AM »
A quick measurement puts it as 68 cm long, making it 200 meters tall in 1/300 scale, sounds about right for observation/radio/airship towers. (I should make the top replaceable I think!)

I am still working on what to use for the small room on top for the HE building, some tube or canister should work I think.

Offline Jules

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 07:28:08 PM »
A docing tower for gamer mac's Zeppelin.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:35:39 PM »
A docing tower for gamer mac's Zeppelin.
Gods, I wouldn't dare, but I think we can all agree it has a shape that helps building things that normally are quite hard to get right.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
A quick measurement puts it as 68 cm long, making it 200 meters tall in 1/300 scale...

What are the dimensions of the ends? I've been trying to find a convenient way of building a Wizard's Tower that's about ... 17 stories x 10 feet / whatever the conversion of 10' to cm is when 6' = 25mm.

OK, it's about 27" which is about 27 times the height of a figure which means that it would be about 162' which is pretty close to the 170' I'm after...

Of course, it might not be wide enough.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »
wide end is 11cm across. Small end is 2,5cm but an inch under the small end there is a even tighter part that is slightly under 2cm wide. Easy to remedy tough. I am mostly concerned with how I am going to make a good looking door at the base!

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 06:49:36 PM »
This would fit on a CD, wouldn't it...
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
As I mentioned in the first post, indeed what your thinking, but I don't have a camera around right now.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »
If they turn out to be to expansive I might see if I can fix you up? OR would the selling of the dreaded things count as arms-trade.  ;D

Seriously, the things are pretty darn cheap around here because the country wide marketing by the postal service. I need another one or two myself, so might as well get another one!