Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:20:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for some pictures  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
Looking for some pictures
« on: September 29, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »
I'm making a card deck for a 1880 Transvaal War game and I'd like to have a series of period images to put on them. I really don't know what I'm looking for: something from an Army manual, cigarette cards, or even Punch... but I need a running soldier for the "move" card, a shooting one for the "attack" card, etc. This is not a commercial project so I don't want to spend any money!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Looking for some pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »
I've tried to google every combination of "19thC British Army" etc and can't seem to find anything suitable :-[

One suggestion is to digitally photograph some painted minis in the poses you need, then use a desktop publishing program to make your cards. Failing that, if you have a scanner and your cards are only going to be for your own use, maybe you could scan some suitable poses from books such as the Osprey series etc. Again, use a DTP program to incorporate these into your cards. Another possibility is to download pics of figures from manufacturers' websites and use those.

There have been some cards made for "The Sword And The Flame", but they don't appear to be what you are after (only one standing pose).

There are also some cut-out card figures there in several "combat" poses which you might be able to download and use on your cards. They are Zulu War, but probably near enough to your needs.

Both these are available in the Colonial Wars Yahoo Group files section and you'd need to join up to access these, but if you are a colonial fan it is probably worth it anyway.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ColonialWars

Hope that helps,

Ian.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »
I don't have any period pics handy, but I did take some screengrabs that I was planning to use on T&T "Volley Fire!" cards. The player would be given a certain number of cards dependent on the scenario, and would have to give one up each time they used the Volley Fire rule.

Might not be want you want (they are mostly people shouting "Fire!"), but you are welcome to them if they will work for your "Attack" card:

Don't have any "Move" ones, but I could have a look and see if I can find something suitable, if you are interested.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »
I can get some more pictures from the DVDs, I had not thought about that. And some photographed miniatures would look too, I'll think about it. Thanks a lot for the ideas.