Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:34:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HMS Jager Aeronef and Landship WIP - Pic heavy Updated October 13  (Read 11377 times)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: HMS Jager Aeronef WIP - Pic heavy Updated!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »
yep, ditch the lion... I'd also move the wheel to the rear where it has less rope/gears necessary to reach whatever acts as a rudder... also, your steersman is in a hell of a position when going towards the enemy...

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 06:40:49 PM »
yep, ditch the lion... I'd also move the wheel to the rear where it has less rope/gears necessary to reach whatever acts as a rudder... also, your steersman is in a hell of a position when going towards the enemy...

I did ponder the wheel placement. My reasoning was that it would be much easier for the steersman to react to enemies in lower or higher altitudes. But I get what you're saying, and may still switch it back.

I think that I've decided to ditch the lion...

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »
Maybe you could try the lion head placed further up the front bit (don't know the terminology... prow?). Move it "north" from where it is originally in the photo.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, old boy. I've just had a bit of wine!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 02:02:08 PM »
I think the Lion's head is a good idea, as it fits the Dutch background, but I think it's in the wrong place and spoils the lines of the prow.

I agree with Christian here. Maybe stick it just in front of the wheel? It would not be in the way and would fill that small gap at the front of the railings.

Do the dutch use "HMS" in their ships' titles? If so, that's something else I've learned  :D

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 05:07:44 PM »
Beautiful work! I used one of these as a Martian skiff, but I did almost nothing to it, being lazy and all. I love what you have done so far!

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 04:44:24 AM »
Do the dutch use "HMS" in their ships' titles? If so, that's something else I've learned  :D

Not officially. The Netherlands prefix is kind of clunky: It is Hr.Ms. or Zr.Ms. with the English translation being HNLMS. It means Harer/Zijner Majesteits, or in English: His/Her Majesty's Ship. I just used HMS because I'm lazy. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix#National_or_military_prefixes

Maybe you could try the lion head placed further up the front bit (don't know the terminology... prow?). Move it "north" from where it is originally in the photo.

I think the Lion's head is a good idea, as it fits the Dutch background, but I think it's in the wrong place and spoils the lines of the prow.

I agree with Christian here. Maybe stick it just in front of the wheel? It would not be in the way and would fill that small gap at the front of the railings.

I'm starting to like this idea....

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, old boy. I've just had a bit of wine!

Nothing wrong with a bit of wine Christian. Nothing at all.  :D

And Sinewgrab, thanks!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:50:37 AM by Chairface »

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: HMS Jager Aeronef and Landship WIP - Pic heavy Updated October 13
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 04:22:15 AM »
Ok, progress on the nef has been slow. I had a look around my bitzbox for inspiration and found the remains of an old Imperial War Altar Griffin. I cut it down a bit and added a green stuff mane

I removed the wheel from the front and moved it to the back deck

I just have to figure out what I'm going to put on the front deck - would a harpoon gun be out of place on a nef?

I've been in a converting mood, not a painting mood right now, so I've been working on a landship as well.

The rods on the back are going to be for a canopy. I went wild with the rivets, but I quite like them.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 04:58:51 AM »
Yes! That looks excellent!

Also, I recently bought one of the GI JOE tanks you have there. It is such a great toy... like a blank canvas ready for conversions! Although, I will probably use mine as a Scrunt Mobile Command HQ.

This all looks rather good, chairface!

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 06:03:46 AM »
Nice changes to the nef, coming together nicely - really makes me want to start a couple of my own.  Love the landship too.  Keep us informed!  :)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 06:16:15 AM »
I've been in a converting mood, not a painting mood right now, so I've been working on a landship as well.

Great rivets; love the chains.  I totally hear ya re converting-vs-painting.  Sometimes painting seems like work.  You sort of know where the paintjob is going to end up, and you just wish it would get there already.  With converting, however, you're never exactly sure what tomorrow might bring.   :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »

I just have to figure out what I'm going to put on the front deck - would a harpoon gun be out of place on a nef?

How about a gatling, or a pom-pom gun? You've got the large ordnance there, but something smaller for anti-personel use might be needed?

Both machines are looking very good! Looking forward to the next progress report  :D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 09:19:54 AM »
Harpoons could work, us Dutchies did a fair bit of whaling back in the day.

I have somebody working on that special piece, might be easier to obtain then I previously thought.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »
An explosive harpoon!   :o    :)

Two super models ya got there! 

The figure head looks great, BTW!   :-*

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
Nice work Dave, I've got rivet envy now!  :)
Don't!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 07:11:02 PM »
Thanks guys!

How about a gatling, or a pom-pom gun? You've got the large ordnance there, but something smaller for anti-personel use might be needed?

I intended to have the gatlings on the two front poker chips. I would be content to leave the front deck empty, but the plasticard was damaged when I removed the wheel. I need something there. I guess I could put another gun, but I don't want it to be ridiculously over armed. How many weapons is appropriate on a NEF? I was thinking of the two front guns, two gatlings, and then something on the rear deck pointing back. Thats why I came up with a harpoon gun, but I'm open to suggestions.

I have somebody working on that special piece, might be easier to obtain then I previously thought.

You are the best!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:18:04 PM by Chairface »