Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 11:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Range from Studio McVey  (Read 10994 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: New Range from Studio McVey
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 08:52:51 PM »
The sword doesn't bother me as much as others, it could just be ceremonial or a rank badge, or it could be siimilar to why modern soldiers are still given bayonets, sometimes you just have to stab open a tin of beans  ;)

I don't want to see the size of the can of beans you need to use that sword to open

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »
I don't want to see the size of the can of beans you need to use that sword to open

i dont want to be sitting round the campfire after he's eaten that can of beans....
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 09:08:57 PM »
hope this "WGG and his role in the world in his own eyes and in the eyes of his admirers" discussion is over. Really have lot to do with that malware attacks and self-born-scripts and no sense of humor today. One word more and I will lock the topic and in the future every other topic about that lovely subject. Whatever this WGG thing is, I don't want see any sign of it on LAF. I don't give a shit about who's the victim and who's not. I've got my Lock and Delete buttons and I promise to take use of them. Thanks to all.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 09:17:46 PM »
 The Sedition Wars has a pre-view in the second Mantic Journal.Some very nice concept art included.The miniature of Corpseman Morgan Vade is a really cool looking sculpt.
 The money Kev gets from commision work helps them balance the books.As we all know things are hard for everyone at the moment.Commision work is a garanteed income and like it has been said does not have the extra costs of getting moulds and such done.
 Mantic will also be selling the Hasslefree miniatures in box sets.Kev has done some special miniatures for them.I really hope this free's kev up to do more sculpting for the Hasslfree lines.A few more Grymn weapons teams would be very nice along with some air support.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 09:26:34 PM »
The Sedition Wars has a pre-view in the second Mantic Journal.

That explains the questions I was seeing about them and Mantic then :-)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 09:33:19 PM »
 I think the three have teamed up.Mantic,Hasslefree and Studio McVey.I know they have Mike going to the open day and I think he will be helping expand there ranges.It will be a win win situation for all involved.Hasslefree will get more promotion going with having product on store shelves.

Really looking forward to seeing how the forces of the Firebrand rebellion turn out.Seems like they will be like 40K servitor types from what is in the journal.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »
The resin allows for a lot more fine detail. Detail that I suspect he doesn't try to attempt for his metal miniatures.

So if you only ever see his metal figs (which are still very good) you don't get a real sense of just how well he can sculpt.

He also has a real talent for placing models in relaxed and realistic poses. I think its actually the true genius of his work. He makes every pose look real. The stuff he did for Privateer are also more "action" oriented in the poses. I wonder if Kev just likes more natural poses?

The Studio McVey sculpt is far more dynamic than his Hasselfree work so combined with the additional level of detail in the resin its an eye-opener.

At least it was for me. I don't have a lot of exposure to his full range of work.

Interesting take on that.  I do have both his Studio McVey and gobs of his Hasslefree work (and even more of his Void stuff).... I just thought it was more of the properties of the resin process that defined his work a bit sharper.  And the fact that the McVey mini is a bit larger in scale. 

I'll take a closer look now that you mention it.

He is certainly good at the relaxed and natural poses..I guess that is what attracts me so to his work.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »
 I think it is the years of sculpting that has honed kev's style.His natural poses and good body proportions too.The Warzone Bauhaus Jungle Komandoes are still some of my favorite sculpts by kev.

Like most miniatures addicts I have loads of Kev's work from lots of different ranges.One of the reasons for buying into many lines.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 10:07:34 PM »
hope this "WGG and his role in the world in his own eyes and in the eyes of his admirers" discussion is over.
:-X
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline TheShadow

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 08:54:32 AM »
new preview fig up of the medic now

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"
"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay.... The Shadow knows!"

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
    • DWARTIST'S PAINTING BLOG
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 09:12:52 AM »
Excellent sculpt - but I don't like him!  :(

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2010, 09:22:54 AM »
...Something tells me that I'm going to end up buying the whole set of these!

Good job I have a perfect ruleset for them already (AE:B).  :D

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2010, 12:37:30 AM »
I like em', I'm always looking for sci-fi minis for my Inquisitor & his henchmen and these fit nice...besides anything by Kev is always good, one of the best in the business IMHO.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.