Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:29:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690314
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Classic BattleTech?  (Read 2597 times)

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
Classic BattleTech?
« on: October 23, 2010, 11:32:27 PM »
Does anyone play Classic BattleTech? I just realized I haven't heard a peep about it here, and I was wondering why?

So far my first impressions are that it's a lot more involved than most other Mech-like games. The rulebook is pretty intimidating at first, and models are pretty outstanding. It's also easy to like BattleTech having played nearly every PC game ever made based on it, and after having been a dedicated player of Mechwarrior from Wizkids up until they ruined it, and not long after that Wizkids went bye bye.

I've noticed it's 6mm scale, and was wondering what other sci-fi games have rules for 6mm scale? I'm aware of some rather cool 6mm scale models from PlasmaBlast (which I'll be covering very soon), and some nice terrain from various manufacturers. Can anyone suggest any other similar scale models, terrain, and rules for 6mm?

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
Re: Classic BattleTech?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »
well, the obvious Epic 40k stuff from Forgeworld...
per aspera ad astra

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 10:53:13 AM »
Old Crow has a bunch of 6mm stuff:
http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/ocproducts.htm
Mostly very near-future looking though, so only subtly sci-fi. They've got a 6mm Hammer's Slammers line in the works, dunno if there's a rulebook though. That's supposed to be far future, but like most of their stuff it looks much more alt history modern than futuristic to me (not a dig: it looks good, just not futuristic to my eyes).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:54:44 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 06:49:50 PM »
I used to play a lot and afaik there is still a healthy following and a good trade in models on e-bay for it. The mechs are still available from Iron Wind Metals too. I suspect the lack of BT is perhaps due to its scale and being more wargame than 'adventure' (or skirmish if you will). If FASA and the subsequent owners would've had any real success with the RPG and Battletroops, then I suspect you'd see more of it here (and elsewhere), as it was the figure range was small and I got the impression that it wasn't supported by sales, hence no expansion of the range.

IMO it's a great game in its original version, but the subsequent expansions spoiled a lot of the appeal to me. Once you didn't have to balance your heat output, or didn't have to risk 'spiking' your heat for that decisive move, much of the challenge went. The later incredible variety of mechs didn't help either, as knowing your opponent's weaknesses was also part of the game. Many of the later models were just variations on a theme optimised and quite 'uber-mechy'. Having said all that, the game itself had one of the best storyline and plots I've ever come across and a range of novels to tell the story.

Many of the people still playing Battletech have been playing it for 20+ years now... there's not that many systems that can boast fan retention like that!
 :)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 08:24:59 PM »
Was there not a thread a couple of weeks ago about 28mm battletech stuff, Westfalia Chris I think?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
Was there not a thread a couple of weeks ago about 28mm battletech stuff, Westfalia Chris I think?

Guilty as charged. I got one of the Ravenstar Studios resin mechs this summer to go with my 25mm Battletroops figures (most of which are not painted yet, though). I hope to paint up a platoon of Kurita infantry this autumn, but, well, given my current motivational levels (erratic, to be polite), that may take a while.

I also have roughly a company's worth of the small stuff. Unfortunately, nobody in my old group wanted to play 3025, but we had a 3058 Chaos Marches campaign without maps which actually was quite fun since it took a lot of the rules lawyering and calculating out of the game, while being visually more appealing at the same time.

Here's my 6mm stuff with some 10mm thrown in: clicky-clicky linky-linky

And my 25mm paper mechs: just a quick click

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Reaper has their CAV line, which includes a lot of Battletech expys:
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/CAV/latest