Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:46:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Redoubt ECW/musketeers & other ranges?  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Redoubt ECW/musketeers & other ranges?
« on: October 26, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
hello, I am looking to buy a few Redoubt ECW/Musketeer minis, as they seem to have a good selection of civlians and other irregular types. I need these minis for roleplaying, so I am not looking for massed ranks of pikemen and musketeers.

So my question is what do you think of Redoubt minis, and their price/quality? And how do they match with other ranges out there, plastics (Warlord?), Renegade and Brigage games? Any other brands I should be aware of?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:22:13 PM by Verderer »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Redoubt ECW/musketeers & other ranges?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »
Word is, Redoubt is on the large end of the scale, like Renegade and Bicorne.
Foundry, Old Glory, TAG, Perry, Warlord are on the small end.
Brigade musketeers are somewhere in the middle.

Most other ranges to do musketeers/ECW are dated.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »
Redoubt ranges come in different sizes. The Three Musketeers figures are really massive (a whole different scale to anything else I have, too much difference even for me), and kind of average-to-poor sculpting wise, as are the Wellington in India models.

The ACW range however is rather nice, and fits in well with normal 28mm figures. Not that this fact is any use to you.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 03:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the info, gents. It's a pity the Redoubt Musketeers are so large, as they have exactly the type of minis I am looking for. Are they closer to 28-30mm then? Good thing they have large range of ECW too, if their size limits using them with some other ranges?

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
The Redoubt ECW figures are not nearly as massive as the Three Musketeer range. I believe that in the case of the latter, the scale creep was caused by the fact that the sculptor saw - quite correctly - the miniatures as skirmish type figures, which justified their larger size - they're closer to 32mm than 30.

As others have said, the ECW figures are perfectly compatible with Renegade and Bicorne (both scuplted by Nick Collier in his pre-TAG days) and not much else. If you want some cavalry, be aware of the fact that the Redoubt horses are not the greatest on earth, although their - mostly - multi-part riders are very nice. And make sure you have a look at the vignettes and civilian sets, which are excellent and in some cases quite imaginative.

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 06:28:52 AM »
I take exception to the Redoubt Wellington in India Range.  I really enjoy the figures, I really think theat they are the best wargame figures I have. (expet for the Pathans with the filmsy knives).  Over the years I have a added a number of the ReaperFigures that fit in for variety.  I like the sultan clapping his hands and there are a couple of dancing girls. The horses were a little scrawny for the Dragoons, but mounted in Suren/Tradition Horses they look great. I am very fond of the elephants. Now if only I could find some French in the period and in the scale. my life would be complete.

Offline cipango666

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 07:23:51 PM »
Perhaps the Elite french of their 1796 collector range??

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 08:55:31 AM »
I like the sultan clapping his hands and there are a couple of dancing girls.

reaper or redbout?

can you confirm that this set of TEN NATIVE WARRIORS IN VARIOUS POSES is not a large (30/32mm) but 28mm size?

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 03:17:09 AM »

The figures are Redoubt.  I think they are 28mm as they are a bit smaller than the regular British/Mysore Figures in the range, but seem to fit in well for my purposes.  I hope that was helpful.

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »
The figures are Redoubt.  I think they are 28mm as they are a bit smaller than the regular British/Mysore Figures in the range, but seem to fit in well for my purposes.  I hope that was helpful.

I cannot find any sultan clapping his hands and dancing girls in Redbouts Wellington in India range, can you help me to find them?

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »
A small update: I now have some of the Redoubt Musketeer & ECW minis, and boy you were right, the Musketeer range is giants! I don't mind so much though, I can play around with basing to make them less conspious, and my game group is totally blind for such things (I handle the painting for us). I then also bought some Old Glory Peasants/Clubmen, and these suckers are tiny, so now I got 30 midget peasants in my hands. ;)

No matter, they will work alright if you're not too fussy, as I said. Although I imagine most of us tend to be fussy about such things, right? It's just that there is very limited ranges available for civvies and blokes/ladies who are not wielding muskets or pikes. Go figure...

I have now placed a small order for Brigade Games Swashbucklers and Pilgrim which should round up my collection nicely. Then maybe I need some cavalry to harrass my players with? lol And possibly the player character riding horses.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:34:30 PM by Verderer »

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
By the way, is it possible to mix Warlord ECW plastics, so that I would use an infantryman body, and then use the pistols and swords from the cavalry sets? If that is possible, I would get a very flexible set of minis with various weapons... And is there any difference between, say, an equivalent parliament set and Royalist set of Infantry or Cavalry? The sprues look the same?

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »
By the way, is it possible to mix Warlord ECW plastics, so that I would use an infantryman body, and then use the pistols and swords from the cavalry sets? If that is possible, I would get a very flexible set of minis with various weapons... And is there any difference between, say, an equivalent parliament set and Royalist set of Infantry or Cavalry? The sprues look the same?

The sprues are the same between royalist and parliamentarian.

not sure about mixing the body parts though, I expect that you could though.

dodge

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »
I would be interesting to try it out. I don't suppose anyone has some extra cavalty & infantry sprues to sell, so I could start knifing them? I dont' want to buy two whole boxes only to find out it's a no go... looking more closely at the sprues, the cavalry has their left hand one piece with the body, so I guess finding the left hand for the infantry will require some creative blade work?

EDIT: Never mind, I got myself a Cristmas present of one pike&shottelia battallia coming up, so I am well covered!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:41:59 PM by Verderer »

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
Verderer, I would suggest "Blue Moon Manufacturing" box sets of Swashbucklers, Four Musketeers, and Cardinal's Guard.  They also produce a Cardinal Richelieu and Rochefort pair.  You can see them on the Old Glory web site:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=534&pg=12

The Blue Moon Manufacturing figures are slim and on the tall side of 28mm.  I think they have good character.  The sculpting is perhaps average, but the casting is pretty good on the figures that I have.  The Four Musketeers box set and the Cardinal's Guard box set have both mounted and dismounted versions of the figures (5 figures mounted, 5 figures dismounted, per box).  I would think those essential for doing skirmish or role playing for that period.

Please note that Blue Moon Manufacturing also produces many types of wagons, which would really help you set the scene for your swashbuckling duels.  Also, there is a pack of gypsies and a gypsy wagon in the Old Glory horror line, which could add an exotic element to your swashbuckling role play.  Just type the word "gypsy" into the Old Glory search function:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/search.asp

Another source of good civilians are the "Townsfolk" packs from Reaper. There are probably about a half dozen different "Townsfolk" packs by now in the Reaper line.  While some of the figures are a bit too medieval, most of them could be made to work for early 17th Century rustics.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 06:58:03 PM by warrenbruhn »
Sailors have more fun!