Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:15:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Miniatures size comparison to Mutineer minis  (Read 11215 times)

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
Perry Miniatures size comparison to Mutineer minis
« on: November 25, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »
Gents,

I am looking to use some Perry Miniatures figures for my Indian Mutiny project to filla few gaps and inject variety.

Does anyone know if the Perry figures from their Carlist War Isabelino range would match height and ‘weight’ wise. I know the Foundry Perry figures are quite small and I consider them not a match for the Mutineer minis.

Any pics or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Regards

Happy Wanderer

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Perry Miniatures size comparison to Mutineer minis
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »
Quick answer: Mutineer are a tad bulkier than the slender Perry figures. Not enough to bother me, but then again, I'm not easily bothered by such things. I don't think height is much of an issue. The Perrys aren't really short, just less hefty than other ranges.

If you can wait until I'm on my lunch hour I can post you a comparison shot.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:30:34 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 12:57:51 PM »
Thanks Plynkes,

I can indeed wait.

A comparison shot would be grand.

Regards

HappyW

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 01:40:40 PM »

Two pics, each with a Mutineer officer flanked by two Perry Carlist War figures. The Perrys look shorter but note they are in a slightly crouched running pose. Unfortunately I don't have any more comparable poses to hand. My unpainted figures are packed away somewhere and all my painted Perrys are in this pose.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 02:03:05 PM »
Lovely painting.   8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »

I know the Foundry Perry figures are quite small and I consider them not a match for the Mutineer minis.

If you don't think the foundry are a match you won't think the Perrys are either.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:19:29 PM by fitterpete »

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »
I think the key is to put them in separate units and you'll be ok. I don't think they mix well. I had been hoping to combine some of the Mutineer and Foundry stuff, but they are way, way off scale. Mike just has a chunkier style than the Perry twins. If you are desparate, you can always prop up one of the Perry figs a little on the base vertically so at least their heads are roughly level.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 04:38:21 PM »
The Foundry Mutiny figures and the Perry Carlist War ones aren't the same size. Both have less 'heft' than Mutineer but the Foundry ones are also noticeably shorter.

On the subject of Foundry, the figure on the right is from the Foundry Mutiny range, next to our Mutineer friends. His base has been built up a bit to hide the size discrepancy. I think I just about got away with it, but it is as always a matter of personal taste.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »
Thanks Plynkes,

That is extremely helpful. I am thinking that maybe the artillery crew from the Carlist War range could do for Royzal Artillery... thoughts?

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

Now, that's some damn nice painting! Are these figures from your Indian  Mutiny project? They look quite good.

What is the white color combination you are using - is it the Foundry White triad?

If so, I'm looking for some civilians to get an eclectic Victoriana look in India do you have any suggestions on figures?

...damn, they are great paint jobs! I would love to see more of this stuff...very inspiring!  ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 07:52:14 PM »
Actually, apart from the Foundry Richard Burton (left, on the above picture), none of those figures are being used as intended. Much as I like the Mutineer range I've sort of got too much other stuff already started to be getting into the Mutiny right now.

The Mutiny figures are meant to be 1850s British officers from the British and Indian Army (and the Bombay Marine), on leave and joining Burton for a spot of African exploring: the interior of Somalia to be precise. I decided to depict one fellow as wearing his uniform, as they did that in the film version of the events concerned (The Mountains of the Moon).

The Perry Carlist War figures are for another game and will be playing the 72nd Highlanders on the Cape Frontier in 1835. This will be a small skirmish game also involving a young Alan Quatermain, a beautiful Boer damsel, a drunken Frenchman and a few (justifiably) angry Xhosa warriors. The Highlanders shall be in the role of US Cavalry, i.e. arriving (hopefully) in the nick of time to rescue the doomed white folk from the irate savages.

As to the artillery, do you mean the BAL Royal Marine Artillery? (the Perry website is a bit funny, when you link to it it sends you to the main page rather than the bit you were actually on) I'm not all that clued up on the ins and outs of Mutiny uniforms. They would work I think, though I might be inclined to make some greenstuff havelocks to go over their caps, maybe? For that Mutiny flavour, if for no other reason.

I haven't really got into the whole triads concept yet, though it seems like a good idea for a lazy boy like me. The whites are mostly just made with bog-standard GW white and a bit of one of their greys (don't really matter which one). The white equipment belts on the Highlanders however had something else as their base. I think maybe Coat d'Arms Linen, highlighted with linen+white. The Somali whites on this post have some sort of dark wash (Devlan Mud? I forget) carefully run just into the folds of their robes in places, just to dirty them up a bit.

Offline the Mutineer

• Bookworm
  • The devils wind
    • Mutineer Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »
absolutely stunning paint job

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »
absolutely stunning paint job

What he said.  All look good together to me and just excellent painting.   :)

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 02:42:10 AM »
Hi Wanderer...

Problem is I just don't see any Carlist figures that are anything even like Indian Mutiny - uniforms wise.  I'd say just buy Mutineer figs and go to town painting!
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 06:52:48 AM »
Plynkes,

Superb and even more inspiring!

Thank you very much for that info. I was referring to the Perry BAL Royal Marine Artillery. Shell Jackets and Peaked caps. I wanted a more regular recently arrived off the boat look to a unit or two and these look like possible candidates.

Sepoy (Scott) I have a very large quantity of Mutineer lead and am most pleased with it! Whilst there is code  "EIC09 Marching British regulation dress", I was looking for a more 'action pose' pack as I prefer a more animated look. Without knowing it Sepoy1857 YOU are the one that tipped me over the edge to buy lead for the Mutiny and a couple of others have joined me which has resulted in a few other solid orders for our friend  Brian The Mutineer!

I have in fact been working on a TFL variant utilising your most excellent army lists from a previous summer special...Rich and I are working on something that will hopefully increase the visibility of the Indian Mutiny and with luck result in increased volume of Mutineer miniatures sales to push this range along and establish it as the preeminent Mutiny figures to use. Off course all other figure types are welcome but my primary choice are Mr Owen’s Mutiny sculpts!

Great work guys.

Regards

Happy W

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:54:44 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 07:38:37 AM »
Lovely paint jobs Plynkes, especially the 72nd for the Cape wars  8)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com