Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:54:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690934
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Searching for U.S. sources for Pulp mini's  (Read 5112 times)

Offline JazzIsBlues

• Student
Searching for U.S. sources for Pulp mini's
« on: November 30, 2010, 03:47:51 AM »
I'm looking for U.S. sources for pulp mini's preferably in 28mm scale.

I'm looking for both heroes/villains and for rank and file troops.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

JiB

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Re: Searching for U.S. sources for Pulp mini's
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:13:11 AM »
You're going to have to nominate specific lines, as different US distributors carry different lines of figures (Artizan, Copplestone, etc.) and some lines of miniatures have no US distribution other than ordering direct from the manufacturer (Pulp Figures, for instance).
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:43:16 AM »
Some just off the top of my head:
Brigade Games carry Artizan & Great War Miniatures, as well as huge ranges of their own. Lots of good stuff.

Askari Miniatures are US-based, with some pulp and pulp-era figures that look good.

Pulp Figures are exclusively mail-order, based up here in Darkest Canuckistan, and have excellent customer service.

Beyond that, don't be afraid of mail order, especially from the UK. I can get Copplestone miniatures cheaper and faster direct from Copplestone in the UK than I can from their American distributor. The UK firms have mail order down to an artform.

(not specifically directed at the OP, but why is it always Americans who seem afraid of international mail order? It really does work. It worked even before the internet, too; these days it works even better and faster!)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:44:47 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 03:15:07 PM »
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Capt Croft

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
 I second wirelizard, order direct.

Arrives faster than most u.s. Companies, very prompt service in my dealings with them

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »
In the US RLBPS now carries Mr Murchs' Pulp Figures line.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 06:07:38 PM »
why is it always Americans who seem afraid of international mail order?

Let's refrain from sweeping generalizations about nationalities, shall we...  ::)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 08:09:12 PM »
(not specifically directed at the OP, but why is it always Americans who seem afraid of international mail order?

As an American, my problem with international mail order is that it often costs a lot.  All things considered, I'd prefer to buy the same thing from a US distributor, who can charge significantly less for S&H.  I think most of us would prefer to buy things from within our own continent, whichever continent that might be, for the same reason.  That said, I agree that sometimes buying something direct from the UK or Europe can end up costing less, thanks to the difference in exchange rates. 

Additionally, it's not really my experience that US buyers express greater concern.  In fact, entire threads recently have been dedicated to the woes of ordering from the US into the UK and other countries.  Of course Europeans and Brits have good reason to worry, given the roulette wheel of customs interference.  :(

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »
Let's refrain from sweeping generalizations about nationalities, shall we...  ::)

Hear, hear.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 10:44:15 PM »
... given the roulette wheel of customs interference.  :(

I think that's the bigger concern of many gamers wherever they might be from…
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 01:07:41 AM »
I think that's the bigger concern of many gamers wherever they might be from…

Although Americans don't have to worry about it ... yet (knock on wood).

Offline SMPress

• Assistant
    • Sgt Major Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 01:56:23 AM »
May be the cost of shipping, and the weak dollar.  I just startd my miniatures company about 6 months ago, and I am finding that 70 or 75% of my business is overseas, I am in the US.  I think the weak dollar is responsible for less orders from the US, and greater orders from elsewhere.  I dont know how things are runnign in South Africa, but I am seeing lots of orders from there.  I have also been getting a lot from Australia, and I know they are strong against the dollar at the moment, so tat may be part of it...

Andy

Bydand!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
Pulp Figures are exclusively mail-order, based up here in Darkest Canuckistan, and have excellent customer service.

And they're priced in USD on the website anyhoo.

Beyond that, don't be afraid of mail order, especially from the UK. I can get Copplestone miniatures cheaper and faster direct from Copplestone in the UK than I can from their American distributor. The UK firms have mail order down to an artform.

Quite. Anything I purchase across the pond will find its way to me faster than anything a tad south of me ever did.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »
When I think of sources for pulp type figures in the US, I think immediately of Brigade Games. While I like Brigade Games a lot, I did not have such a good experience ordering from them a few years ago. The problem was that the online ordering system at the time did not tie directly to inventory, so many of the figures that I ordered from Brigade were not actually in stock.  That included Sheltrum divers (UK), Shadow Forge tribals (Australia), and Brigade's own Belgian WW1 askari.  I was not charged for the stuff not in stock, of course, but was still a bit disappointed that I never got that stuff.  In genres other than pulp, I've often had to deal with US distributors of other countries' miniatures not having figures in stock, and sometimes have had to wait months for the figures.

Another US maker who I like to order from is Bronze Age Miniatures.  If your definition of pulp includes the "Sword and Planet" genre of trashy novels from the early 1900's, then the Bronze Age "Dead Earth" line of figures is truly great for that.  And the service is really excellent.

Both Brigade Games and Bronze Age have yahoo discussion groups and store web sites.

My luck at ordering direct from manufacturers in countries other than my home USA country has been at least as good or better than my luck at ordering from US distributors.  I have had especially good experiences ordering from:

Pulp Figures -- Canada
Foundry -- UK
Shadow Forge - Australia

I have not tried Eureka in Australia yet, but eventually expect to try ordering from that company.

All those companies produce some figures useful for Pulp (though Shadow Forge is somewhat of a unique company, specializing in female figures, many of very outlandish types).
Sailors have more fun!

Offline JazzIsBlues

• Student
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 11:20:11 PM »
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and insights. I have no personal bias to ordering from one place or another, my specification of a US distributor was largely an effort to keep shipping costs down.

Much appreciated,

JiB