Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:12:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: True Grit is back  (Read 13151 times)

Offline BlindFool

• Bookworm
Re: True Grit is back
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
Well I saw it Saturday...and had I been paying attention when I got home would have taken the time to watch the John Wayne version on Film 4...lol...I found it just as it was finishing... (as a kid/teenager I loved his films and this one along with the other titled Rooster Cogburn with Katherine Hepburn were favorites).  
I dont think comparisons should be made between the 2 versions - both IMO suit the time they were made and illustrate how film making has changed and in some instances hasn't.
The dialogue = yes it was extremely hard to understand at times but IMO authentic.
The strength and character of the young girl - was perfect - illustrating how quickly children of the day had to grow up.
The landscape at a time when America was still being discovered - vast/bleak and empty and not seeing a soul for days = was spot on.
The bear on the horse episode was inspired and totally believable.
The animosity between the Texas Rangers / US Marshals -extremely funny and demonstrated how little has changed even today between agencies.
The great Sharps and Henry debate gave me a wry smile (amended... my error leadfool thanks)
A sense of deja vu with some of the scenes - reminding me of the PS3 title Red Dead Redemption

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:19:02 AM by BlindFool »

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 06:32:42 AM »
I saw it and enjoyed it.  It almost makes up for the 2 hours of time wasted watching that drek, No Country for old men.

I had no problem following the dialogue, I actually was the only one in the theatre laughing at some of it. then again I am old. 

I missed the rifle debate.  But the texas ranger had a Sharps carbine, likely in 45-70.  The character of the pursuit, the man with many names, with the burn mark on his face, had a Henry rifle.  not a Martini-Henry.  The Henry was from 1861-65 in 44 rimfire, and was made by the Wincester company.  The Martini-Henry was a single shot British rifle, that shot a large cartridge.  The Henry shot a pistol cartridge, but held a bunch of em.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »
Agree

The brilliant Barry Pepper (played the sniper in Private Ryan) as Lucky Ned Pepper was excellent. Like his predecessor Robert Duval he seems to be developing the knack of appearing in a film for 15 minutes and nicking it from under the noses of the leads.

Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
The brilliant Barry Pepper (played the sniper in Private Ryan) as Lucky Ned Pepper was excellent. Like his predecessor Robert Duval he seems to be developing the knack of appearing in a film for 15 minutes and nicking it from under the noses of the leads.

That's bold talk for a one eyed fat man! :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2011, 06:42:16 PM »
Fill your hand you son of a bitch!  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »
"We'll sleep here and follow in the morning."
"But we promised to bury the poor soul inside!"
"Ground's too hard. Them men wanted a decent burial, they should have got themselves killed in summer. "

That's LAF talk...  :)

Offline trynda1701

• Assistant
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2011, 01:16:35 AM »
Here's something REALLY frightning on the remake front!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=30256

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I think Hollywood is finally about to implode!
All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by...