Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:02:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ambush Alley Force on Force Question  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
Ambush Alley Force on Force Question
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:32:59 PM »
So I'm considering this rule set to allow me to buy some WWII and Modern mini... :-*....but I'm not sure about 1 thing.

If I want to play Force on Force do I need the original Ambush Alley rules as well...or are they a stand alone system?

thanks!

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline captain apathy

• Librarian
  • whatever...
    • Captain Apathy's Secret Lab
Re: Ambush Alley Force on Force Question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 06:10:05 PM »
Both are stand alone games, and both are worth the money in my opinion.  The biggest difference is FoF is for battle between evenly matched opponents, while AA is designed to handle professional vs. irregular forces.

Offline widgren

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:34:35 PM »
in Q1 2011 force on force will be re-released with osprey as the publisher so it will be gorgeous:)
it will contain ambush alley aswell as force on force. i really look forward to this!

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:59:00 AM »
Yeah I heard osprey were doing this but was unsure of when, that's good to hear it will be sooner rather than later
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline widgren

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »
they have already released future wars, a stand alone version of force on force in a futuristic setting. its only available in pdf now but hard copy is in the works. i think its worth the wait to go for FoF.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:10:27 AM »
As Widgren said, Osprey and AA are re-releasing Force on Force as a big, shiny hardback. While the rules do allow you to play both FOF- and AA-level games, the systems are entirely integrated, so games can be scaled up and down with ease.

The rulebook and the Road to Baghdad supplement have just gone out for pre-print prep – they look incredible! April is the scheduled date for both of those, so not too long to wait...
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline widgren

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »
april will be a good month. i hope that AAG will sell a preview pdf and later hardcopy pack for the guys who want to get in on the action as soon as possible.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »
 :)

Great thanks for the info guys...I'm really excited about FoF and Tomorrow wars...and they sell both in Pdf format right now for a very reasonable price...it will not contain all the pretty pictures but the price is right....I might just get the stripped down version available now and save the rest of my money for some figures!

Thanks again!

Blue

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »
By no pretty pictures are you indicating an absence diagrams and illustrations too?   ???

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline widgren

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »
let us know what you think about it! id love to hear

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »
By no pretty pictures are you indicating an absence diagrams and illustrations too?   ???
Glenn

So I DLed my copy and am about 1/2 way through the read right now...It does have pictures and Diagrams...and they are in color...in fact the ZIP file you DL have both a printer friendly and "unfriendly" copy...the larger file having detailed borders around each page etc.  So these are fully functional rules and have all the info you need to play.

I got the Tommorrows war and FoF combo offer and got 2 150 page full color books for $20! not too shabby.

So far on my read through the rules look pretty straight fwd...and fast.  I may have some trouble with the "abstract Cover" system...ie a whole unit can be "in-cover" even if some of the models are standing out in the open but if I can get past that it seems like a fun...fast play.

Cheers,

Blue

Offline Baldrick

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 04:27:18 PM »
The abstract cover system works well, and during the course of the game, you find yourself thinking in terms of fire teams, not individual men.  It is an enjoyable game and produces soem very tense engagements. 
I have a cunning plan... as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 04:41:42 PM »
So far on my read through the rules look pretty straight fwd...and fast.  I may have some trouble with the "abstract Cover" system...ie a whole unit can be "in-cover" even if some of the models are standing out in the open but if I can get past that it seems like a fun...fast play.

If FoF cover works in a similar way to AT-43 cover system you shouldn't find this "abstraction" significant.

AT-43 - "If at least half of the members of a unit are hidden or behind cover, the whole unit is under cover and benefits from cover tests. In any other case, none of the fighters get cover tests, even those inside the zone of cover; they don’t have enough time to duck."

I find that AT-43 plays faster than some other games, as you make a ruling per squad rather than per squad member.

Offline widgren

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 09:12:34 PM »
So I DLed my copy and am about 1/2 way through the read right now...It does have pictures and Diagrams...and they are in color...in fact the ZIP file you DL have both a printer friendly and "unfriendly" copy...the larger file having detailed borders around each page etc.  So these are fully functional rules and have all the info you need to play.

I got the Tommorrows war and FoF combo offer and got 2 150 page full color books for $20! not too shabby.

i didnt know it was the artsy versions! im off to get me some pdfs:)

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 05:49:49 PM »
the pdf for Tomorrow's War is great and the printer friendly version is welcomed.

I love the system. It is fast and fun, and not a bunch of rules lawyering. and gets results that everyone is pleased with. that's a pretty good game I would think.