Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:28:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Force on Force/Ambush Alley anyone?  (Read 3386 times)

Offline shepard88

• Assistant
Force on Force/Ambush Alley anyone?
« on: May 07, 2016, 06:34:32 PM »
Hey

AA/FoF was pretty popular modern wargame around year 2010, but now it seems to be forgotten.

Even AA forum was closed in 2015 and until now they have not restarted it. I missed that forum because it was good for discussion, faq and rules clarification.  Also blogs dedicated to those games are diminishing recently.

I think its good game (no flawless of course) for modern set-up. I recently bought two new FoF books from osprey (they have sale for FoF books now) so on my table FoF is not dead! :)

Greets

Offline Iron Mike 73

• Assistant
Re: Force on Force/Ambush Alley anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 09:08:13 PM »
I agree--a good set of rules for modern, especially irregular fights.

Hoping that Shawn Does a revision and gets it back out!!

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
I had a co-op and a solo game in April at home and they were really fun. Ok no more miniature gaming until September... the joys of being an international commuter... but I plan too do something with FoF again.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline shepard88

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »
Hey,

thanks for your reply.

Nice blog and photos. Good idea with African scenarios ;)

Greets

My gaming group has just started using FoF. I really like it.

Here are links to three AAR's on my blog...

http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/force-on-force-battle-report-few-blocks.html

http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/force-on-force-aar-contracting-troubles.html

http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/force-on-force-aar-closing-up-shop.html

Like FoF as solo game too.

I had a co-op and a solo game in April at home and they were really fun. Ok no more miniature gaming until September... the joys of being an international commuter... but I plan too do something with FoF again.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 06:13:45 AM »
I love it, and still play it regularly! I've been distracted recently by Skirmish Sangin, but AA:FoF will soon return :)

Offline predhead

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
The last word I heard (some months ago) is that they were going to "re-do" Ambush Alley, going back a bit more towards the original, but still compatible with all the scenario books.  With the forum issues, they haven't done themselves any favors in keeping the chatter going about their company.  Would be nice to be able to keep that flame going.

Offline Dangerdaz

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 11:05:48 PM »
I tried to buy these recently. No hope anywhere...not even ebay!
Guess they`re a keeper to lots of folk!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 10:04:23 AM »
They are certainly a keeper and I loved them when they first came out. IMO they were ground-breaking back then and still better than most now.

While I found what I consider 'better' rules that could be adapted for what I like, they are nevertheless great for a different take on how to do something if you constantly mess around with other rule sets.

Some supplements were better than others of course, but rarely did they contain something totally wrong (Portuguese grenade launchers excepted - although I expect that was something 'lost in translation'). 

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
They are certainly a keeper and I loved them when they first came out. IMO they were ground-breaking back then and still better than most now.

While I found what I consider 'better' rules that could be adapted for what I like, they are nevertheless great for a different take on how to do something if you constantly mess around with other rule sets.

Some supplements were better than others of course, but rarely did they contain something totally wrong (Portuguese grenade launchers excepted - although I expect that was something 'lost in translation'). 

Actually they got quite a bit wrong in some of their supplements. Portuguese and Bush Wars aside their published notions of how the Australian army was organised was rather amusing. Arse, elbow, elbow, arse. One got the impression that their source material was rarely ever anything but second or third hand sources. I suspect that the absence of material in English was a factor in not pursuing the mooted Central American wars supplement. that's not confined to them and to be fair they were always open to feedback on their, now defunct, forum.

That said it's a very good set of rules but with a reasonably steep learning curve. Allegedly, there are some hidden glitches with the maths in terms of combat resolution. Fire teams with odd numbers are advantaged against ones with even numbers.

Personally, I'm not fussed about on-line support or its absence. A good set of rules stands alone.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline shepard88

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 10:53:27 PM »
Could you please explain that maths glitches more?

Allegedly, there are some hidden glitches with the maths in terms of combat resolution. Fire teams with odd numbers are advantaged against ones with even numbers.

Personally, I'm not fussed about on-line support or its absence. A good set of rules stands alone.

Online swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 06:36:13 PM »
Just recently rediscovered at our club with a couple of games in recent weeks including 1938 and Cold war.