Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:25:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Undead for Kings of War Project - COMPLETE - Feb 17, 2011  (Read 15630 times)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
Undead for Kings of War Project - COMPLETE - Feb 17, 2011
« on: January 05, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »
Hey all,

After I got the human Kings of War army to the point where it was playable, I shifted gears to get my undead on the table. Actually, they were all painted already, but since they were painted about 15 years ago to a very questionable standard, I decided to re-paint them. Have a look at my progress so far in my article:

The Dead Shall Walk The Earth... Again - Undead Porject Article

Here are some pics of the army after about five weeks of work:

Wraith units:

Skeleton archer regiment (can be fielded as two separate troops)

Skeleton spearmen regiment:

Skeleton Revenant (or grave guard, or heavy armoured) regiment:

Revenant cavalry regiment (or black knights or heavy armoured cavalry):

But check out the article and the links in the article to my Undead gallery for more info and all of the commentary!

Thanks
n.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:35:39 PM by Neldoreth »

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Undead for Kings of War Project
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
Loving the bases and the pumpkin theme!  8)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:03:04 PM »
Very nice, as always! To be honest I don't like the pumpkin theme at all, but on the other hand I love the base! There's no pleasing everybody, eh! =) Nice nod to Nightmare Before Christmas(?) on the revenants banner. What minis are you using?
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:35:41 PM »
Very nice conversions on the barded horses (and their riders). I'm looking through your gallery now. The metal archers mix well with the plastics. I don't know if it's intended but I think the pumpkin theme adds a bit of a comical touch 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys, greatly appreciated.

The mounted skeletons were a bit of work, but after I got the first one or two out of the way it went pretty quickly. For those I used old GW skeleton horses, some GW and Battlemaster armoured horses for the armoured bits, and either old GW riders with Mantic Revenant heads and bits, or converted Mantic Revenants.

The foot miniatures are a mix of mostly old Reaper skeletons, a few Grenadier skeletons, with less few GW bits and figs in there as well. I have a few regiments and troops of Mantic figures yet to be painted/assembled though; they should come together after I get all my old stuff put together.

As for the jack-o-lantern theme giving it a comical edge, it's certainly coming out that way. I had someone comment on the army that if they had faced it in real life they wouldn't be sure whether to laugh out loud or to run away in terror. I embraced that idea, and imagined the necromancer that created the army had a conniving sense of humour and such a solid sense of their own power that they thought they could pull it off!

Thanks again guys,
n.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 06:48:01 PM »
Hi Neldoreth,
 Awsome army, the bases are always great but your sheild designs are what really blow me away. Whenever I get to the sheild I never know what to do with it. Great original painting as always.

Damien

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »
I followed your human army and this one looks just as nice. Love your website too!

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »
very very well painted

awesome

dodge

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 08:30:27 AM »
You did this in five weeks? I'm seriously jealous! Nice based, overal painting is really beautifull. Also not a fan of the pumpkins, though the way you incoperated it in the entire army is splendid. In another five weeks we got more pictures?

On a side note, how do you like Kings of war? I just bought a started box, because I wanted to have the undead, and might give playing it a go.
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 09:13:53 AM »
Fantastic, really like the pumpkin them.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 06:58:04 PM »
Thanks a lot for the kind words guys, greatly appreciated!

n.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 06:59:56 PM »
On a side note, how do you like Kings of war? I just bought a started box, because I wanted to have the undead, and might give playing it a go.

I quite like them! I started off as a WFB player, went to 40k, then to LotR, on to WAB and then to DBA and HotT... I find that Kings of War seems to bring my favourite parts of all of those games together in a single, great, simple but dynamic rule set! I highly recommend it...

I would love to see it if you could post some battle reports if you play some games!

Thanks
n.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »
Week six done, week seven begun!
    * Undead Project - Week Six, Catapults
    * Undead Project - Week Seven, Zombies

The catapults went together very well, and they painted up very fast. So fast that I managed to paint another one-off revenant figure as well as one of my Lich King characters. Thanks to painting a few characters here and there, I've been able to paint almost all of them. I have maybe 1.5 left that I really need to do, so I likely will be able to scrap the week I had planned for the character figures.

That being said, I realized that I bit off more than I could handle with having to finish a zombie regiment in one week! That would mean painting 24-30 figures in a single week! Quite beyond me... I'm not sure what I was thinking when I decided that. Anyway, I've changed the requirement to be zombie troops instead of zombie regiments. In the end this will net me only a single zombie regiment, but that's not too bad. And, I might use that character week to potentially finish off more zombies.... We'll see!

After six weeks, how is the motivation for the undead going? Well, it's still going pretty strong I must say. Given that I feel burnt out after most DBA armies, which take only four weeks and require far fewer figures, it's kinda surprising. I think it's because I don't expect to be done yet... I wonder if I will start getting burnt out the closer I get to the expected completion date...? I guess we'll see... until next time I'll be slaving over the festering dead! I already feel queasy about all of the corpse research I've done...

Here are some pics:

Test figures! Ranked from most to least favourite!

Thanks
n.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:02:19 PM by Neldoreth »

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 07:53:43 PM »
This is INCREDIBLY nice!

How have you gone about doing your rules?

Just using your gut feeling or something?

My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »
Thanks Dr. The Viking!

As for rules, are you referring to my human army list? The undead list was kindly provided by Mantic already! For the human list I really followed the elf/dwarf/undead lists closely, making sure that I kept the points powers very similar, but tweaking them a bit. Then did some playtesting and updated them accordingly... That's about it.

Thanks
n.