Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:04:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691518
  • Total Topics: 118399
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting set-up  (Read 2450 times)

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
Painting set-up
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:40:26 PM »
Thought I'd post this here as well as my blog. For years I used old paint pots to hold figures whilst painting but occassionally this lead to access issues with some parts of the figure because the top of the paint pot was often larger than the base of the figure. Then last year I started using a different method inspired by one on the DnD Lead site.  The guy over there was using nails as miniature holders but I ended up using screws instead of nails. Basically by supergluing some coins to the top of a screw you can create a great figure holder. The screw thread gives good grip when handling the figure holder, nice and non-slip!

A cardboard box with holes in will hold many of these in place. This is where the figures go when priming and between painting. By giving the screw a spin when placing them in the holes they bite into the cardboard staying secure.

The way the figure holders grip becomes really useful when priming multiple figures. The whole box can be turned upside down to prime the underside areas without the figures dropping off and many figures can be primed quickly at the same time. As well as turning the box while priming the individual figures can be turned in the hole, a quick way of getting a even coat of primer on lots of figures.

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Re: Painting set-up
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »
I like your idea, I use paint pots myself, I think I may give this a try. Oh by the way, nice skin tones on the zombies. Who makes them?

Damien

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »
Most of those figures are (converted) plastic zombies that come with the board game Last night on Earth. Loads of painted examples on BBG

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29368/last-night-on-earth-the-zombie-game

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »
Great idea. I just started using wine corks myself, but I don't mount them until after priming. I drove some 4 penny nails up into the corks and then use a magnetic knife rack on the desk to keep them orderly.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 05:40:32 PM »
Very neat looking solution, although I must say I've never found the need to mount the figure on a bottle top (or whatever) for painting.
I just stick it on a washer as its base and handle it by that. Not sure what the benefit of raising it up in the air is?  ???

Mounted figures, I do mount on a wire spear shoved into a cork, since otherwise they wouldn't stand up at all.

Ah well, we all have our own ways of doing things  :)

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 06:07:20 PM »
Not sure what the benefit of raising it up in the air is?
  From when I wash a figure pre-priming to when it's varnished it I try not to touch the surface of the figure, grease from fingers and all that, that's why I mount them on something. Of cause it may not make a jot of difference :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Okay - at least it's a reason I can understand the logic of! Thanks :)

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 06:13:42 PM »
For me its simply a case of sausage fingers.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »
It's a good idea, but I wonder how secure larger metal models would be? Personally, I'm not sure I'd trust a penny super glued to a screw would support them well enough, but I'd be interested to know all the same! :-X

I pin all my models into deep bases (3mm+), and prefer painting them off the base; the pins in the feet are a good place to grip with some hemostats while you're painting:

The clamps can be moved and reattached (good if you don't have a permanent painting area like me!), are easy and comfortable to hold (I have big hands and paint slowly...), stable when the model is put down, and - best of all - I can easily get to all parts of the model effortlessly!