Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:07:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690454
  • Total Topics: 118331
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggest some enemies for me; Human and Creatures  (Read 6557 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Suggest some enemies for me; Human and Creatures
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »
I don't know if Poirot and Marples count as Pulp - doubtless I'll be moved to tghe right place if they don't.

Anyway, I'm setting up a game with Poirot and Marples type investigators, aided by vicars, squires, local bobbies etc. Set in 1930s English village type of thing. It'll be a bit more rough than merely investigating - even Poirot may have to get his gloves dirty in a fight sometimes. In scale, it'll be closer to rpg than skirmish. I'm thinking at the moment of vampires, ghosts, zombies etc - goings-on under the local church; that kind of thing.

Any other ideas? Humans other "monsters" - the more the merrier.

Thanks

Doug

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Suggest some enemies for me; Human and Creatures
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
I think some lovecraftian influence will not go unappreciated.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »
Human
Grave robber/digger, psychotic post-mistress (very good at misdirection), smugglers (very Famous Five), an ancient but still malevolent Moriarty in the local retirement home (just because you're wrinkly doesn't mean you're nice), Cuckoo-children, circus freaks

Creatures
Metamorphs, The Beast of Midsomer, Were-budgies (in very strong cages), escaped circus animals
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
Do you have figures in mind for Poirot and Marple?
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 01:40:02 AM »
Artizan does very nice not-Marples and non-Poirot figures.

I'd got straight to cultists for opposition. Druidical or Lovecraftian, either works nicely. Stone circles at dawn or the offshore reef at midnight, that sort of thing.

Dastardly foreigners, possibly Red Russians looking to export the Revolution to England's shores.

There's a lovely scenario called "A Fete Worse Than Death" in TVAG's "Astounding Adventures! #2" scenario book. A couple of cults, various detectives, some Reds, random townspersons (some of whom might also be cultists), a movie production company... I haven't ever run it, but it sounds like awesomely inspired mayhem.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 02:06:06 AM »
Nazis.  Any scenario is better with Nazis.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 02:08:08 AM »
Pigmy Headhunters smuggled into Blighty by a colonial governor who live secretly on his estate.

Consider this for inspiration... http://wk.frothersunite.com/sc/pulp/Pulpsc.htm

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »
Do you have figures in mind for Poirot and Marple?

Yes - I've got last year's free figures from Partizan of Poirot and Marples (not yet painted);

in fact it's because I've got the figs that I thought of doing the game.

SUPPLEMENTARY QUESTION - in the pre-war Church of England, would it be likely that a curate would take over the duties of a vicar if the vicar was unable to function through illness, injury etc? I'm thinking of a situation where the vicar, who is a jolly good chap, has to let his new curate run things for a while and the curate turns out to somewhat more than he appears to be - and not in a good way. Is the premise reasonable?

Anyone clued up on church hierarchy out there?

Doug

Some good ideas submitted - I'm enthused  :D :D :D

Doug
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:08:47 PM by Doug em4 »

Offline achab

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »
I agree about Moriarty. You could also try the Rasputin mad monk type. Fu Manchu can serve as a suitable pulp villain anytime. Of course, a mad scientist is always welcome (for this era, I'd suggest an assistant of Nikola Tesla). You might need a female evil mastermind: no pulp scenario is complete without one.

As for your church related question, I'm sorry but I have no clue... ???

A.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:25:06 AM by achab »

Offline The Somnambulist

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 10:29:39 PM »
How about some cult worshipping morrismen? Gripping Beast have morris men in their woodbine range.
I go to pieces so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »
All of the above. Nazis, in order to foil Bolshies, release some circus animals. Meanwhile, Cthulhu-cultists have forced the Vicar to flee the village in order to recover somewhere by the sea (!) and installed the curate (who's really a Deep One) in his place. Their rituals have sent the kids of the village mad, and ghouls have taken up residence in the crypt while the church isn't being run properly (no proper burials going on). The village, meanwhile, has been picked by Fu Manchu as a quiet place to unload his heroin shipment, and has enlisted a mad assistant of Nicolai Tesla to help, with his strange machines.

The investigators turn up, however, because in a fit of drug-induced paranoia, Lord Particularly-Twittish has been murdered by his secret lover who is in fact a friend of Bertie Wooster.

Something like anyway.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 11:24:24 PM »
How about some cult worshipping morrismen? Gripping Beast have morris men in their woodbine range.
Excellent - particularly as I have that set, I bought it at Warfare 2009 when it was released but I haven't painted them. I think to do them justice may be beyond my mediocre painting skills.

Red Orc - I love it. I think my Nazis will be homegrown, Wodehouse style.

Doug

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »
I don't play '20s-'30s gaming at the moment, but have played CoC in the past, love Jeeves and Wooster, I'm fascinated by the VBCW setting, and I grew up with Cluedo/Clue, as most of us did, so mushing it all together into a mad 'Professor Plum versus the Nazis of Kadath Parva' setting seems quite appropriate. I will be using the Cluedo cast as my 'team' when I do get round to doing something with this.

I have to admit that the 'Operation: Fallen Reich' website has been a big inspiration for my approach - 'Can Evil be Stopped in Time for Tea?' and 'Like the X-Files set in WWII with Mulder and Scully replaced by Jeeves and Wooster' are great taglines I think. There's a great scenario generator on there (just change their necromantic nomenclature for something more campaign appropriate), and there's also a list of '20s-'30s wars for British Chaps to have been involved in. I think it's a great little site, even though I don't plan on playing the game!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:53:38 AM by Red Orc »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 11:59:38 AM »
Yep a curate would and did deputise for the Vicar, some may have more than one parish so it was/is not particulalry uncommon.

Other encounters, cultists- think the wicker man, or order of the Golden Dawn that sort of thing, hell fire club-sinister version, terrorists-anarchists

etc

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »

Other encounters, cultists- think the wicker man, or order of the Golden Dawn that sort of thing, hell fire club-sinister version.

etc

Just what I was about to type when my dear friend Lowtardog pipped me to it.

Witchcraft ala Aleistier Crowley/The Golden Dawn, summoning up Old Nic himself.

Try reading "The Devil rides out" or watch the Hammer film version. The Duc De Richleau battles satanists in 1930s middle England.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing