Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:59:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689806
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Terrain lighting: Light sheet, leds, fibreoptics  (Read 9933 times)

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
Re: Terrain lighting: Light sheet, leds, fibreoptics
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »
yes, true... i was thinking about the wetting too... but it still looks too cool!

for the dry ice... it is the best solution of course, but... do you have it? it is almost impossible to find it here...

I've got it before, but not for gaming.  I work in entertainment and every now and then You have to get it for low lying fog effects.  I have a chemical place not far from me where I can buy it.  To my knowledge it is not a controlled substance or whatever you would like to call it (at least in the US).  It has been a while since I've had to do that though.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Re: Terrain lighting: Light sheet, leds, fibreoptics (experiment 23/10)
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 10:11:08 PM »
 i think that breaking the tube you make the light split into several smaller holes, not mentioning the light dispersion from the irregularity of the cuts.

i'm afraid you should use one single optic fiber for each light.
and still, covering the end of the fiber with black tape doesn't help, and the same for the led... you should use a optic fiber led, or at least use some reflective alluminium to try to collimate the light... :)

but it looks really intresting, i wanna see how it develops! :)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 11:08:58 PM »
so... why dont you change for small light bulbs? you should need only a few of them (like leds) because their light is really strong.
and they have also a low voltage requirement... all you have to do is to put two wires all around, and then connect them to all the leds. maybe small leds, so you can handle them with four AA batteries or a small converter ^^

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Re: Terrain lighting: Light sheet, leds, fibreoptics (experiment 23/10)
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 11:10:07 PM »
you will notice a difference. you'll lose a % of the light at each cut... the more cuts the weaker it gets the further away from the lightsource. the way to get all the lights the same brightness is to run a separate cable for each one.

you'll also find you need a clean cut to get a torch like glow and the only way you'll get any is from the end of the fibre. in fact you'll probably find you need a bundle of fibres together to get a good glow.

Offline al will

• Schoolboy
  • Nil illegitimi carborundum.
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 01:15:43 AM »
Might I suggest checking out this site for easy led wiring solution

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/lightsforminis.html

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 01:21:31 AM »
Steve, I've had a quick read through your recent posts and I shall have a proper read through tomorrow but I might have something for you  :) (if you can wait until a week on Friday  ;) )

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:56 AM »
am following this thread with interest, as i've got some lighting planned, of my own.

:)

Offline Rossyuk

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »
I remember a Kromek game in the UK, years ago, with Miners lamps and dry ice in the tunnel complex. :-I

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 12:48:27 PM »
just remember to don't use high intensity leds, but just simple weak ones.

with them you can handle a dozen of them or more with no trouble, just a few mA...

I remember a Kromek game in the UK, years ago, with Miners lamps and dry ice in the tunnel complex. :-I

WOW! do you have links? i'm really interested!

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »
What you may need is multi-strand fibre optic cable instead of single strand (64 strands inside a 3mm cable) See: http://thefiberopticstore.com/purchase/endglowcable.htm. The curve radius is for the bundled cable I believe.

Tip:If you want a less pinpoint end glow you can diffuse the light by flaring the end into a lens shape using a soldering iron.

Also, don't use CA glue (we all know how you love to use it)  as it can damage the strands; damaging the sheathing (reduces light transmission) and making the strands brittle (they can snap later on if there's any stress on the strand). Use epoxy, PVA, hotglue.

Keeping an eye on this thread as I'll also be using lighting soon.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
I've decided to go down a slightly different route, with the lighting for my own (Battlestar Galactica) project:

I don't want to mess about with wiring up individual LEDS, need something that is pretty robust, but at the sametime, can be broken down easily, when the ship goes into storage, so i've hit upon using some readymade strips of LEDS.

Each strip is about 12 inches long, with a dozen LEDS on each strip.  I've got plenty of connector wire, which can be unplugged, as and when I need to separate the boards.

I've also got various other types of LEDS, some of which are battery-fed - the "cluster" type include 24 lights - i'm going to use these for the engines.  The black circular "sieve" is from a microwave meal.

The basic set of 3 strips, plus an extension set of another 3 strips, costs c£65, in total - pricey, but then consider that you get 72 LEDS, all the connector wiring, which is literally just plug and play (ie no soldering), switches, and fittings etc, and the whole packaged is robust enough to withstand some rough treatment, it works out pretty cost effective IMHO.

:)

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 04:40:42 PM »
Look forward to seeing how your project develops (I am guessing that it will be a biggy, perhaps on a par with the aircraft carrier?  :o)

technically speaking, it will be BIGGER

lol

Offline Bobbo

• Librarian
Re: Terrain lighting: Light sheet, leds, fibreoptics
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 02:09:14 PM »
You might also want to look at EL wire (electroluminescent wire).  I've used it for computer cases, and it is some pretty cool stuff.  The wire gives off light in all directions and can get bright depending on the size of the wire and the voltages you use, plus it is nice and flexible depending on the diameter of wire you use.  The wire runs off AC current, so to get it battery powered you need an inverter, but those aren't very expensive. 

In the US, I've used http://www.coolight.com/.  They have everything you need, although if you Google EL wire you can get calculators that will figure out what inverter you need based on the length of wire you want to run. 

Plus, it looks very Tron.