Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689674
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Terrain lighting help needed  (Read 1795 times)

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
Terrain lighting help needed
« on: November 15, 2013, 09:18:01 PM »
Hi folks,
Just after a bit of knowledge if anyone has any spare.

I'm currently working on a display board for my Mordheim miniatures, and I want to include some small street lights. I bought some incredibly cheap ones from ebay rated as "6V", and I'm trying to figure out how best to power them up.

I have a big pile of components and in the dim and distant past I was pretty good at soldering and what not, but just trying to figure out where to start. I want to use about 10 of them, and whilst I doubt they'll be on permanently I'd rather not mess about with replacing batteries. I've just had a quick rummage around ebay at old variable dc transformers for railroad setups, but is that overkill? Am I complicating this when I don't need to? I'm good at that ;)

I'm hoping someone can point me at a duggy's guide to wiring somewhere. I've read loads for individual minis, but they're usually working of a cell battery and I doubt they'd cut the mustard here. Appreciate any insight you can offer.

Ta,
Si

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
Re: Terrain lighting help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 04:49:20 AM »
Another potential power source are all the power bricks floating around these days. Seems like everything you buy (cell phone chargers, etc.) comes with its own little AC/DC transformer. Thrift stores usually have bins of them. Find one with a 6V DC output..

Do you have access to the bulbs themselves? Got any pics? Any other info besides "6V" on the bulbs?  (i.e., DC or AC ? What current rating?)

If you can determine some or all of that, it will narrow down your chances of not "letting the smoke out" when you apply the juice.

Having said all that, try a few AA batteries (4 @1.5 V should bring you to the 6V stated). Connect batteries in series (those cheap plastic battery holders are great, usually set up for x2 or x4 AA or AAA batts, and have a + and- terminal/wire, etc.) then connect the leads from one light to it and see what happens. If you get pos results, then add lights one by one...

And remember, everywhere - it's Ohm's Law... :)

Disclaimer: Although I am an engineer, I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so if you burn your place down, it's on you.... ;)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:50:48 AM »
If it's an incandescent bulb (rather than energy saving or led) it will run off ac or doc. But at 6v your only sensible option is doc.

I'd simply use batteries, but unfortunately incandescent bulbs will drain them quick

Remember to wire the bulbs in parallel if you want them to be the same brightness.

Offline _Si_

• Bookworm
    • BlokeCrafted
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to go grab some batteries and see if I can get it up and running. If so I'll look into a power brick (got enough of the things kicking around, one must surely be 6v).

I suspect I'll end up replacing the things with leds going forward, but this seemed like a simpler solution lol.

These are the ones I've got, but as expected from a Chinese ebay seller, details are a little scarce :).

If I get it up and running I'll post photos. Or more likely I'll come back with more questions ;)

Cheers,
Si

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
Si,

If these are 'grain of wheat' bulbs take care as over voltage will kill them!  I would use a 12V supply and 80 (something) ohm resistors as this will give you the voltage and good current else put two in series.  Watch out as they can get warm!

Good new is the they will take AC or DC (unlike DC only LEDs) and some may have a built in resistor in the cable to bulb connector but watch the total current drain - only go to about 75% of the rated output on the supply.  The more you add, the dimmer the light  >:(

Best examples and help I found while trying this (no way ever again by the way) is the railway forums - have a look here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1938-wiring-for-lighting-etc/ for a great thread and more details about wiring all types of lights:

Remember though electricity can kill and get these wrong and you can create a fire…

If I was doing this again I would go LED as they are cooler in both senses of the word (esp the flickering or multi colour ones now)