Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:48:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691315
  • Total Topics: 118386
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming System Recommendations  (Read 10261 times)

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
Gaming System Recommendations
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »
As a budding RCW enthusiast that hopes to start an army soon, I'm curious to see what rules you chaps find to be the best for 28mm. From what I've read, most people seem to lean towards Contemptible Little Armies (and Back of Beyond), a modified Red Actions, or another rules set who's name escapes me (Triumph of something or other).

I've also seen many people recommend the Great War by Warhammer Historical. As a WH40k player myself (with a Kornilov-style Imperial Guard army), this has probably peaked my interest the most.

To clarify, I'm very much leaning towards 28mm. I love painting, and I find the smaller scales to be less enjoyable simply because there isn't enough detail. I'd also prefer a rules set more leaning towards skirmish battles (less than 80 models per side) because I am, unfortunately, not the sort who can throw money around.

Thank you!

EDIT: Somewhat off-topic, but I have a query about Brigade Games. Do their Russian infantry in fur caps have shoulderboards or not? The image is very poor quality, and I'd like to know whether or not they're usable for Whites/Cossacks.

Here's the link
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:13:53 PM by Ataman »

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
Re: Gaming System Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »
This is most of the competitors:

http://www.pygmywars.com/gaming/rules/rules.html

Great War will be very easy to pick up as a 40K player, and will make getting games easier. But there is not yet any support, so you have no army lists or even guides to values.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:08:24 AM »
EDIT: Somewhat off-topic, but I have a query about Brigade Games. Do their Russian infantry in fur caps have shoulderboards or not? The image is very poor quality, and I'd like to know whether or not they're usable for Whites/Cossacks.

I have a pack of the Brigade "Russian riflemen with fur hats" in front of me, freshly arrived from Brigade. They appear to have shoulderboards.

Good thing, as I was planning on using them as White Russians with a Cossack flavour!

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:52:01 AM »
This is most of the competitors:

http://www.pygmywars.com/gaming/rules/rules.html

Great War will be very easy to pick up as a 40K player, and will make getting games easier. But there is not yet any support, so you have no army lists or even guides to values.

Thank you that link is excellent! I've read your site extensively and yet I never found that page.

I have a pack of the Brigade "Russian riflemen with fur hats" in front of me, freshly arrived from Brigade. They appear to have shoulderboards.

Good thing, as I was planning on using them as White Russians with a Cossack flavour!

Great, that's good news for both of us then. I'm planning on making a mixed force of pro-Hetmanate Ukrainians and Don Cossacks.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 06:31:05 AM »
Those who use the rules of "Red Actions!" from a group of developers "The Perfect Captain", perhaps it will be interesting to get acquainted with the options of these rules, which revised and supplemented by Russian wargamers.
Naturally, they are in Russian, but the translator of "Google" you are here to help.

"Steel thunderstorms":

http://www.fieldofbattle.ru/modules.php?name=Pages&pa=showpage&pid=105

Rules "Red Actions!", Significantly modified and changed Alex  Razygraev, In accordance with his ideas about this conflict.

"There, behind-the Don River ..."

http://www.fieldofbattle.ru/modules.php?name=Pages&pa=showpage&pid=106

These are the rules on campaigning on the rules of Red Actions / Steel thunderstorms. These rules are heavily modified and pererabotynnym translation rules for the campaign from The Perfect Captain "Beyond the Don River".

I think, though, like other Russian players, the game was balanced and interesting.

And the last photo the White Army, presented at the Russian forum "battlefield". This conversion is well-known figures from the "Copplesone Miniatures".
 First Kornilov Shock Regiment, the author of "trommell_of_war":

1 officer's company, 2 and 3 Volunteer Kornilov Company:

General L. Kornilov, an artillery battery and machine-gun company:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:27:52 AM by cuprum »

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 06:44:04 AM »
I use Triumph and Tragedy for RCW. Easy to learn and fast in play. Not the simple IGUG-Game, because you use cards.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 07:26:58 AM »

1 officer's company, 2 and 3 Volunteer Kornilov Company:

General L. Kornilov, an artillery battery and machine-gun company:

Now those are some amazing Kornilovtsi! Though I think that many 'colourful' uniforms seems more appropriate for Gallipoli then for actual battle.

Thank you for your recommendation, I'll be sure to check them tomorrow.

I use Triumph and Tragedy for RCW. Easy to learn and fast in play. Not the simple IGUG-Game, because you use cards.

Well, I got the 'Triumph' part of the name right at least  :)

I was under the impression that only Red Actions used cards, so I'm curious to see how this set uses them. Thanks for the recommendation!

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:13:09 AM »
Red Actions uses cards to keep track of unit qualities. Movement is alternate units from each side, so not really I-Go-You-Go and easily modified to work off cards.

From your point of view is intended to be for larger battles than you appear to want. It uses companies as the basic unit.

I would guess Triumph and Tragedy would be more suited to the platoon/skirmish you appear to be looking for.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:14:50 AM by Mark Plant »

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 10:12:16 AM »
My own skrirmish rules "Argad!" adaptations for this period are under test, but not ready enough for diffusion yet.  :-I

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »

I have to concur we ran a 5 regiment card T&T game at BLAM 2010 and it was a great game fast paced and full of action,

I think we had 30 - 40 minis per side armoured cars hmg's it was great.

dodge

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 11:16:16 AM »
Triumph and Tragedy is the baby of this very forum, so you have come to the right place to rectify your ignorance of it.  :)

Triumph and Tragedy website: >>Link<<
LAF T&T forum: >>Link<<

The authors are members here, and I'm sure would be happy to explain the card system to you. I'd be happy to explain it too, it's just that I'm too lazy. For now I'll just say it is used to decide who goes when, using quite a fun mechanic that adds to the gameplay in a fun way by giving you more decisions to make. :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 11:20:44 PM »
Too Fat Lardies Mud & Blood or the Perfect Captain's Red actions.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 01:52:27 AM »
Mud & Blood works really well for me.  You might also want to contact Count Ignatieff of the LAF and ask hiim for a copy of his rules.  I've not had a chance to use them yet, but they look perfect for 28mm skirmish
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline Luthaaren Von Tegale

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
Always one to be different I use the WWII rules from Niel Thomas' "Wargaming - An Introduction" book with inches replacing cm for all measurements - it works really well. Had a couple of cracking games over the weekend with these.

At the end of the day any WWI/WWII set of rules will work with some modification

vT

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »
Maybe consider also my book WaW: Back of Beyond8)

see: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/back_of_beyond.html
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de