Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:43:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Quality of Old Glory WWI?  (Read 6382 times)

Offline jdp

• Assistant
Quality of Old Glory WWI?
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:16:33 AM »
So I am joining up with the Old Glory Army primarily for my 10mm Napoleonic habit. 
I noticed that OG has a fairly extensive WWI range for the major powers.  I always thought that playing some Great War would be fun ever since the WHH rules for this period were released.  The question is what are the figs like?  OG still lacks pics for most of this range and I am just wondering whta there quality is like.  I have seen some gems from these guys and some creatures.  Will these figs be hit or miss?

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: Quality of Old Glory WWI?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:47:59 AM »
The OG WWI figures are very small - much smaller than any other 28mm WWI available.  I got rid of the few that I picked up, since they would not go at all with the Renegade, Copplestone and other figures I already had.

If you're willing to go exclusively with OG, that might not be a problem for you.  They might even size up more or less with Foundry's WWI (which are also quite small).  The quality of the figures is about average for OG - a few 'hey steve' figures mixed in, and certainly not as nicely sculpted as some of the more recent lines (eg, Musketeer, GWM, etc).

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:01:48 PM »
The 28mm line does match up well with Foundry, but as Will says not much else. You might want to look into their new 15/18mm line under the Blue Moon tag though. I've seen them and they are pretty good sculpts. I believe they only have late war available at the moment.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »
The pack of German tankies (below) that i got was very nice if a little small, they would also fit in with the Curtey's miniatures range.

Offline koz10

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
OG figs are fine and a great value for the money. They are smaller than many other figure lines out there, like Copplestone, but work fine if you keep them in discrete units (though can fit in with some help - Copplestone's Siberians don't have command figs so I took some OG figs and put them on an extra piece of plastic on top of their normal base and they look fine.) They work well with figs like Brigade Games, Foundry, Harbor Designs, etc. They usually have lots of action to them with few figures looking alike. There are two downsides to OG - they tend to have a lot of flash on them and, because they are smaller, the hands can be a challenge to paint. They are the least expensive figs on the market, do paint up beautifully and look great on the table.

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:27 PM »
I think the OG WW1 Russians are quite nice, and really good value

Offline jdp

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:05:24 AM »
Thanks for the opinions folks!  I polled my gaming group and WWI should be a go!

Offline jazbo

• Librarian
    • My GNW Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 12:43:23 PM »
Peersononallly, I would still go for Brigade Games.  Just better quality figures.
My Great Norther War Project Blog: GNW Gaming

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 01:11:37 PM »
They are pretty hit and miss and personally I think more miss than hit. This range suffers from the usual OG failings, grotesque anatomy and bizarre poses.  This is one of the OG 'chiropractor's delight' ranges. The personal equipment on the US and British packs is bizarre in terms of proportion and they have those fabulous puttee clad calves that are wider than the thighs.

Plus sides, well they are cheap. They do make some nice guns and the extra poses you get in the gun crews (doubles actually) make useful passengers drivers for various diecast cars and trucks. They also produce some odd bits and bobs nobody else does, like the US/French 37mm infantry gun. The later stuff like the Russians seems to have been a considerable improvement. Vehicles are all over the shop in terms of scale.

Go with Brigade Games , Great War, Copplestone and then supplement with OG for those missing bits, like tank crews, nurses etc etc.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
Does anyone have, or know of any links to, pictures of their Austrians, Serbians and Montenegrans? I think I read somewhere that the Serbians are wearing later uniforms but I have not yet seen a single photo of them and have no clue as to the appearance or quality of them.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »
Does anyone have, or know of any links to, pictures of their Austrians, Serbians and Montenegrans? I think I read somewhere that the Serbians are wearing later uniforms but I have not yet seen a single photo of them and have no clue as to the appearance or quality of them.

Try the US site, it has picture's, Albeit crap ones  ;)
http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/categories.asp?cat=58

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, aircav. Unfortunately they never added photos for these 3 participants. Their Italians look good and these came out afterwards so I'm wondering if they are of similar quality (but, then I am judging the Italians from those photos).

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 12:10:31 AM »
Your best bet is to go to a games show that OG are at and ask to have a look at them  :)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 12:24:31 AM »
I've got one pack of Old Glory's Late WW1 British riflemen; they're quite nicely sculpted and cast figures (detail about equivalent to, say, GWM or some of Brigade's stuff) but they're SHORT!

I dubbed them "the Hobbiton Rifles" while painting them. I'll probably sell them on to someone with an existing OG British force at some point, as they don't really fit in with the Pulp Figures/Copplestone/Brigade/GWM mix that makes up the rest of my 28mm collection. (fair enough as they're really 25mm figures!)

If you're doing exclusively WW1 gaming, go for the OG stuff and you'll be fine. If you're looking to mix with other ranges, GWM is probably a better bet.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »
I've got one pack of Old Glory's Late WW1 British riflemen; they're quite nicely sculpted and cast figures (detail about equivalent to, say, GWM or some of Brigade's stuff) but they're SHORT!

Remember though that the British raised the Bantam Units, these were men, who had been previously too short to be enlisted.
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ewh.bryan/Bantams.htm

so you can get away with these smaller miniatures  :D