Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:00:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons Report - Recovering the Idol  (Read 2819 times)

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Strange Aeons Report - Recovering the Idol
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »
My boys have been after me to play a game with my miniatures.  So we set up a team of Threshold operatives and got rolling.  My oldest son built up a four person team (His Hero "Mr. James", 2 agents one with a rifle "Griffin" and one with a thompson SMG appropriately named "Gunner", and a civilian named Jordan.)  

We rolled for our Scenario and got "Retrieve the Artifacts".  The terrain had a few terrain structures but was mostly open.  My younger son and I played the Lurkers.  I decided to keep the first game simple so we fielded 5 zombies.

Right off the bat, the Threshold Rifleman Griffin took position to cover a wide vantage point.  His leader Mr. James, using command, pushed himself, the Thompson Gunner, and his civilian Jordan forward toward the objective markers we had scattered about the map.  

The zombies had a slow and painful start.  While the Threshold figures (under the leaders command) rushed toward the objectives, the zombies were forced to slowly stagger one at a time toward the nearest two markers while being careful to avoid the Threshold rifleman's vantage.

Threshold agents quickly recovered two markers, a "Map Piece" and "Nothing Useful".  Soon however, they were forced to face up to two zombies which had managed to reach and protect another marker.  

One zombie was easily gunner down by the hero.  Underestimating the zombies power, the hero Mr. James decided to stand his ground and try to shoot the second.  Suddenly the zombie charged and went base to base with the hero who failed his resolve and ended up "face up" on the ground while the zombie mauled at him.  

The nearby civilian Jordan makes amazing shot with his .22 pistol, saving his leader Mr. James.

While Mr. James recovers, Jordan and Gunner claim the nearby objective marker (finding the "Lucky Idol") one zombie manages to recover the final objective marker and extract it to the Lurker deployment zone. You talk about slow, zombies have a move of 3" per action.  Their move is reduced by -2" per action when carrying an objective marker.  It was a miricle a zombie recovered one moving a whopping 2" per turn.

Anyway with the remaining tokens gone, the Threshold operatives faced down the remaining three zombies who did their best to rush the civilian who was closest.  Unfortunately, Jordan the civilian decided to stand his ground thinking he could continue to shoot and kill zombies with his .22, like before.  He was wrong and was mauled and removed from the board but will recover from his injuries.

All in all a good day for Threshold.  After some reast and recovery they have advanced in some skills and after searching for Treasure recovered an addtional magical scroll as well.

It was a good start for my son's Threshold team but next time he runs into some zombies he'll have to deal with a Mad Scientist or some other issues as well.  Zombies by themselves are too easily avoided and outgunned.  But that's the way it's suppose to be right....  

I can't wait, now that the Threshold teams BP's are up to 18, I'll get to field some nastier Lurkers.  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:44:39 PM by gauntman »
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline widgren

• Scientist
Re: Strange Aeons Report - Recovering the Idol
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »
looks like a good game!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:07:28 PM »
Looking good and sounds like a lot of fun. Wish I had a dad who was into miniature wargaming when I was a kid.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
Me too.

They're begging me all the time to break out the miniatures from the display cabinet and play a game.  It's rare that we actually have time to do it. 

I need to take advantage of having willing wargamers around while they're still young...

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »
Great stuff! Get 'em while they are young!  :)

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 12:35:56 AM »
Yeah, as a fellow Dad enjoy it while they still want to spend time you  lol!
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 01:11:28 AM »
Nice!! Let the new generation go insaneee!!