Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:24:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689768
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hail Caesar!  (Read 11243 times)

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Hail Caesar!
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:01:42 PM »
Anybody seen this <warlord ancient wargame by Rick Priestley>?

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=10274

It refers to their Black Powder game as comparison. Any hint on basing system?
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: Hail Caesar!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:21:41 PM »
Sorry, but you should read all the articles of warlord games. They give the exact basing details:
http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=9769
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:14:42 AM »
Didn't read the update actually, thank you.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »
So this isn't a Roman weather forecast?

Remember to get your coat on the way out.........  lol
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »
This looks quite interesting. I got WAB2 as soon as it came out but haven't even played a game yet  :? Sort of fell out with WAB a while ago.

This looks to be the Historical version of BP, which, to me, could only be a good thing  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »
Yes, I think that this may kill WAB off................  ::)

A Samurai supplement would be nice, WAB promised one more years ago than I care to recall..........  :-[

Oh, and Wars of the Roses, too.  :P

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:04:34 PM »
War and Conquest will be having a samurai supplement as one of the first ones after the main rules come out (got my finger in that pie  ;) )

But if 'Hail Caeser' brings one out then I'm all for it. I will however have to go and read the bits about basing though, just in case  ::)

cheers

James

*edit* Hooray, 40's by 40's  :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:07:11 PM by jimbibbly »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:07:05 PM »
WAB basing seems to be okay for Hail Caesar!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:07:58 PM »
Beat you by four seconds  :D

cheers

James

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »
Type of Troop  -   Individual Base
Infantry  -   20×20mm

Cavalry  -   25×50mm

2 Horse Chariot  -   40×80mm

4 Horse Chariot  -   80×80mm

Elephant  -   60×80mm

Light Artillery  -   40×60mm

Medium/Heavy Artillery  -   60×100mm

Depths for chariots, elephants and artillery must be adjusted to fit the models as these tend to vary a great deal in overall size.

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:47:09 PM »
Still, after reading the basing article, I don't catch its core. I just assume every basing already existing will be fine; it would be a major turn around to a niggling problem.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 04:07:10 PM »
The basing article is a little unclear, despite its length, and the entire top half of the article seems unnecessary.  If casualty removal and basing are anything like Black Powder, the main points are:

1)  The width of the unit is the important thing, and it's more important that the width is consistent between units in any given game.  You can really put as many or few figures on the base as you like - the authors are pretty clear that the rules are designed to give friends with huge armies a fast-playing and visually appealling game, rather than sweating the details of things like figure basing (I get the impression that the article aims to reassure worried WAB players that their figures will be fine).

A common change to Black Powder for us mere mortals with 6' wide tables (rather than the 8-12' tables recommended in the rules) is measure in cm rather than inches, and to allow smaller units with fewer figures;

2)  There's no casualty removal, but you do have to keep track of how many hits the unit has received.  This can be represented by removing figures, but dice next to the units works just as well;

3)  Don't glue your minis to a big base just yet!  Units can be in line, square, loose or column formation, so figures should be turned to face the right way and the unit redressed to show the difference.  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:10:57 PM by Momotaro »

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 04:46:02 PM »
The basing article is a little unclear, despite its length, and the entire top half of the article seems unnecessary.  If casualty removal and basing are anything like Black Powder, the main points are:

1)  The width of the unit is the important thing, and it's more important that the width is consistent between units in any given game.  You can really put as many or few figures on the base as you like - the authors are pretty clear that the rules are designed to give friends with huge armies a fast-playing and visually appealling game, rather than sweating the details of things like figure basing (I get the impression that the article aims to reassure worried WAB players that their figures will be fine).

A common change to Black Powder for us mere mortals with 6' wide tables (rather than the 8-12' tables recommended in the rules) is measure in cm rather than inches, and to allow smaller units with fewer figures;

2)  There's no casualty removal, but you do have to keep track of how many hits the unit has received.  This can be represented by removing figures, but dice next to the units works just as well;

3)  Don't glue your minis to a big base just yet!  Units can be in line, square, loose or column formation, so figures should be turned to face the right way and the unit redressed to show the difference.  

Thanks Momotaro! Anything is clearer now, but still point #3 worries me a bit. I hope one will be able to add a token to show his unit is in a square formation (if any other than Romans did in ancient times...) and that's it. I think the DBx and WAB players will do good, but I'm a bit concerned for the Impetus players (like me) who do have figs glued to a (rather large) base.
Thank you, bye!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Hail Caesar! Now on Pre-order
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
Now on pre-order:

Hail Caesar Rulebook

This is your chance to be one of the first people to get hold of our exciting new rulebook - Hail Ceasar.
Hail Caesar is written by the hugely talented Rick Priestley who is something of an expert in Ancients gaming.  Partly because of his studying in antiquities but some would say that it's also because he was there for the most part.  
So aside from firsthand experience of classical civilisations what else do you get?
A 200 page, full colour, hardback rulebook*
By the award winning team that produced Black Powder
Covers gaming in periods from bilbical times to the Crusades
An exclusive miniature when you order through the Warlord Games website!
It's still early days so we don't have a definite release date but we are aiming for April.  If you place your order now you will be at the front of the queue when they arrive.  
*Probaby.  The page count isn't exact yet.

Our Price: £30.00

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:40:04 PM by joroas »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »
Well, there goes my last £30  lol

cheers

James