Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:53:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 10 mm Pendraken dungeon bash AAR  (Read 4506 times)

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
10 mm Pendraken dungeon bash AAR
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
Seventh delivery of the Saga of Einar, played with the rules Warrior Heroes Armies and Adventurers from Two Hour Wargames, and with the 10 mm Pendraken dungeon sculpted by Germy, and 10 mm minis from Copplestone and Games Workshop's Warmaster range.
http://javieratwar.blogspot.com/2011/03/down-into-darkness-einars-saga-chapter.html
Cheers,

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: 10 mm Pendraken dungeon bash AAR
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »
Beautiful as usual!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:51:14 PM »
Very nice! 10mm is not my kettle of fish, but the minis are indeed beautifully painted. =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 01:07:41 AM »

Really nice work 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 02:44:13 AM »
I really like the write up and the dungeon looks great, show us more! (great minis too, goes without saying)

Damien

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:56:59 AM »
Many thanks for the kind words gents. There will be more episodes if Einar manages to escape from that dungeon.  ;)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:52:12 PM »
Hi blacksmith, quick question, how do you like the rules (Warrior Heroes Armies and Adventurers)? I am thinking about getting them but I'm not sure. Are they easy to pick up, can you play solo ?

Thanks
Damien

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »
Hi blacksmith, quick question, how do you like the rules (Warrior Heroes Armies and Adventurers)? I am thinking about getting them but I'm not sure. Are they easy to pick up, can you play solo ?
Thanks
Damien
Damien, for me WHAA are the best rules for skirmish and tactical role play in the market. The rule set covers skirmish, several types of missions to play single or linked, campaign, character creation, rules for battles ala Warhammer Fantasy (http://javieratwar.blogspot.com/search/label/Battle%20Reports.%20Warrior%20Heroes%20Armies%20and%20Adventurers), dungeon generator, army lists and bestiary, in 110 pages approximately.
The rules can be played solo, cooperative or head to head but they shine for solo play (what I do). The rules have a very similar engine to Chain Reaction, All Things Zombie, 5150, Red Sand Blue Sky or any THW ruleset, but especifically oriented to high fantasy and melee.
The bad thing about this ruleset is that you need you read it and play it several times, and do a lot of questions to fully understand how it works, especially if you have never played a THW ruleset before. OTOH, there is a huge and very active yahoo group which will answer any doubt you may have almost instantly, including the writer of the rules and Mr. Teixeira himself. the rules play fast once and almost without charts once you get the idea, and absolutely no bookeeping. One thing I really love about it is that you never know what is going to happen in a melee.
The ruleset is also great in the sense that it is very flexible and it let you use your imagination and make all the mods or universes to play in you feel like.

If you are looking for a fantasy skirmish ruleset to play solo then WHAA is the best you could possibly find now and in the future, but if what you want is to play with an opponent, then there are possibly other rulesets more appropiate for that.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:10:30 PM by blacksmith »

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 01:23:09 AM »
Thanks blacksmith, it helps a lot. I always want to play THW rules, they sound a lot of fun but it seems that you have to get over a large learning curve. Still 15$ is not a lot, I may give them a go.

Thanks again
Damien

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:59 AM »
Thanks blacksmith, it helps a lot. I always want to play THW rules, they sound a lot of fun but it seems that you have to get over a large learning curve. Still 15$ is not a lot, I may give them a go.

Thanks again
Damien
It's really helpful if you play your first games with someone used to THW games, and once you get it, it's piece of cake.
You're welcome :)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »
If it wasn't for the Atlantic I'd be over at your house tonight  ;). Thanks for the info and I look forward to more Sagas.

Damien