Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:16:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

What packs would be best?

One Pack: An officer and four firing and loading sailors.
Two packs: An officer by herself; and a pack of five mixed firing and loading sailors.
Three packs: An officer by herself; a pack of five different loading and preparing sailors; and a unit builder pack of six firing sailors, in the same pose.  
Three packs: An officer by herself; a pack of five different loading and firing sailors; and a unit builder pack of at-attention sailors (rifles by their sides), in the same pose.

Author Topic: Hinterland Sailors Poll  (Read 9845 times)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Hinterland Sailors Poll
« on: March 10, 2011, 06:10:54 AM »
Hi All,

Again, I’m asking for advice about upcoming Hinterland releases.  My plan for each round of releases is to try to aim for one pack of the original hussars, one character figure, and one pack of something new, albeit related.  As many of you know, the next round of releases will include hussar cavalry, thus taking the pack-of-hussars slot.  A character figure might be Cecilie mounted, although I’m not sure.  And here I’m providing a very rare preview, so you can determine what will be filling the pack-of-something-else slot:

Have you figured it out?  Yup, sailors, in the classic Schutztruppe mold.  What I’m wondering is, how far should I go with this theme?  I intend to make at least one pack of sailors, and at least one officer.  However, beyond that, I see certain options:

1)   One pack, consisting of one officer and four firing and loading sailors.

2)   One officer by herself; and a pack of five mixed firing and loading sailors.

3)   One officer by herself; a pack of five different loading and preparing sailors; and a unit builder pack of six firing sailors, in the same pose.  (This would basically mimic my initial hussar release, by the way.)

4)   One officer by herself; a pack of five different loading and firing sailors; and a unit builder pack of at-attention (rifles by their sides, with the butts on the ground) sailors, in the same pose.

Your input and vote is very much appreciated.

Mancha/Jason

PS – What kind of sailor hat do you like?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:15:30 AM by Mancha »

Offline Lenin

• Assistant
    • Lenin's Library
Re: Hinterland Sailors Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:45:31 AM »
Love the idea of these as have been looking for some lady sailors for a miniatures version of the Full Light Full Steam RPG, though the ladies in that setting do wear trousers to avoid any potential embarrassment in zero gravity!

http://kallistipress.com/category/my-books/full-light-full-steam/

Ladies that would not look too out of place alongside the Copplestone British sailors from his Darkest Africa range would be ideal.

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/images/afu3.jpg

Pete

Offline swordman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:13:59 AM »
like the idea, gave my vote at the poll.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »
Like the idea lots, and like the WIP so far. Lady sailors would be a definite purchase for me.

Just my two pence, but I would have absolutely no use for at-attention figures whatsoever, so I've voted for option 3 above.

Thinking of the Copplestone figures, straw hats would seem to be appropriate for the ladies, but that might limit them to use in warmer climes?
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
Alternative heads? Straw boaters and fur caps?

Like the idea lots, and like the WIP so far. Lady sailors would be a definite purchase for me.

Just my two pence, but I would have absolutely no use for at-attention figures whatsoever, so I've voted for option 3 above.

Thinking of the Copplestone figures, straw hats would seem to be appropriate for the ladies, but that might limit them to use in warmer climes?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:07:01 AM »
At this scale and as these will probably be used - more poses, the better.

Voted #3.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
Love the idea of these as have been looking for some lady sailors for a miniatures version of the Full Light Full Steam RPG, though the ladies in that setting do wear trousers to avoid any potential embarrassment in zero gravity!

http://kallistipress.com/category/my-books/full-light-full-steam/
<snip>

Pete

Mostly used in games deployed or shipboard (naval ship or land ship) or "in atmosphere" Aerial ship I suspect, never seen a VSF game in Space although I am sure it happens all the time.  I just assumed the skirt edges would be weighted in the hem to reduce "overflow" movement.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:34:57 AM »
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/images/afu3.jpg

The rounded hat was almost universal and could be used by most countries.

I'll take a unit (option 3), thank you.   ;)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »
Cracking idea! Optioon 3 for me. Would love to see them on one of my nefs.

though the ladies in that setting do wear trousers to avoid any potential embarrassment in zero gravity!

Bummer!  ;)
Don't!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
OK, I voted for the last option but here is my suggestion:

One officer, why only one officer? Usually a ship's crew needs more officers i.e. one standing, one with binoculars or telescope one giving orders etc.

At attention sailors: usually are without rifles on deck -for ceremonial purposes, but I suggest 2 packs with mixed poses like:
.- loading and firing guns/MG etc
.- one delivering messages,
.- one semaphore
.- one at attention for ceremonial purposes
.- a couple of poses, firing rifles (landing parties - repelling boarders)
.- one NCO with whistle (whistling orders/salutes)
.- one sitting (might be used as navigator sitting by the charts table or used as wireless operator)

some of the above might be combined to form an officers pack as above
argsilverson

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
Mixed pack of poses would work for me. As for zero G and skirts I'm sure the tends of the day had some garments weighted at the hem with lead weights.Perhaps the leggings could be more Zouave in shape?
gan canny kidder!

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
I like Argsilversons idea of semaphore, NCO with whistle, second officer etc. Adds a bit of character to a force.

How about a command pack similar to the Hussars' one as an additional release if sales of the initial basic packs justify it?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 02:59:34 PM »
I like Argsilversons idea of semaphore, NCO with whistle, second officer etc. Adds a bit of character to a force.

How about a command pack similar to the Hussars' one as an additional release if sales of the initial basic packs justify it?

Good idea...

Sign me up.   :)

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »

The rounded hat was almost universal and could be used by most countries.

But a straw hat would make them so much more Anne of Green Gables. :) I'd pick them up if they had sennet hats, they match my existing navy figs, but I can see why the traditional hat would appeal to others.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
Thanks for all your feedback.  I'm impressed to see that Option 3 is winning by a landslide.

Regarding hats: Like the round hat, the straw one was kind of universal too, but I agree that it might make them look less martial and more like picnickers on the rampage.  I'm leaning toward the round hat pictured in the Copplestone image earlier in the thread.  I'm afraid there won't be multiple heads though.

Regarding additional officers: If these sell well, I would certainly consider a larger command pack, just as the original hussars started as an officer and two rifle packs, and became an army.