Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:32:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mikael Jacsen and his Grave Guard [PICS]  (Read 8005 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Mikael Jacsen and his Grave Guard [PICS]
« on: April 28, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »
Hello adventurers. For round 6 of the LPL I painted up some Grave Guard and I chose to lead them into battle with the illustrious Mikael Jacsen. Now, some of you may not know who Mikael Jacsen is (apart from where the name obviously comes from) but he was a skeleton champion in the Terror of the Lichemaster scenario pack (the Lichemaster being the better known Heinrich Kemmler). This scenario pack was basically a pack with card stock buildings and rules for playing a series of linked games (I believe three in total) for Warhammer 2nd edition (around 1986 I believe), much like the later scenario packs for Warhammer 5th edition (Grudge of Drong, Perilous Quest, Circle Of Blood and so on). Together with the scenario pack special models were released that were mail-order only (I think) among which the original Heinrich Kemmler and also Mikael Jacsen. The figures for Terror of the Lichemaster looked like this:

You can see Kemmler and Jacsen on the right. The original Krell is top left (back then with an obsidian sword rather than an axe) as is Ranlac, a champion that I'm not sure was ever used again.

These special models are hard to find, the original Kemmler usually goes for about 100 quid on eBay and I've seen Jacsen go for anything between 40 and 80 quid. While it's a decent looking old school skeleton that's way too much money for my wallet so I decided to make my own. I took a skeleton that looked pretty suitable: it had the right skull (there are only roughly four different skull variations in most of the skeletons around 1987), some armour and a somewhat decent weapon. Also, I had this model three times so I wouldn't feel guilty by cutting one of them up.

I first cut off the skull and bent the arm down. I also flattened the axe haft with a pair of pliers so I could remodel it into a sword.

Then I cut off the axe head and filed the sword in the right shape. I decided my Mikale Jacsen would be right-handed rather than left-handed (which the original model was). Changing it would not be worth the effort in my opinion. I pinned on the skull but only glued it on at the very last moment so I could easily reach the rest of the model with green stuff.

I puttied on the extra bits in several stages. At first I did the shoes, knee armour, sword and the beginning of the shoulder pads. I left this to harden under a hot lamp for about a quarter of an hour.

Then I added a sword sheath from plasticard, added some more armour and a glove. I also finished the shoulder pads. After this had hardened I glued on the head and made a start with the hair and gave him eyes.

When the base of the hair had hardened I finished the hair and left my model to harden again, then he was ready for painting.

I painted him in my usual fashion: three drybrushes for the bone (VGC Charred Brown, VGC Earth and VGC Bone White), orange ink for the armour followed by Badab black and boltgun metal. The hair and eyes were painted white before painting them with various yellows and oranges. I painted a signature hand signal on his shield and he was done!

I painted 8 grave guard with great weapons to accompany him. All the models are classic skeletons with two-handed weapons.

An old skeleton with a great big axe and heavy armour 8)

Another one of those, this (or one like him) is one of the first models I ever bought, I love these models! :D

Another old skeleton with greatsword and a shield. The equipment doesn't look as uniform as the current grave guard but then again these were originally intended as lowly skeletons.

Scyther, a nude skeleton with a scythe. Easier to paint but of course less interesting to look at.

Reaper holding a severed head. He's one of the skeleton champions from the "Skeleton War Machines" boxed set (containing a metal chariot, the old Screaming Skull catapult, a liche and four skeleton champions). I cut off the top of the scythe and turned it around, originally it pointed away from him.

A skeleton with lots of armour, a scythe and a cow's head. This was (and still is) one of my most favourite models ever, ultimate cool!

Another skeleton with a scythe. In Warhammer 3rd edition skeletons with scythes (great weapons) were called "Grim Reapers" and were an obligatory army choice, you had to have at least ten of those models. Though you could also equip the old plastics with scythes it does explain why so many of these models came with them. I've seen this model occasionally listed on eBay as a wraith but of course originally it's just a lowly skeleton.

We've seen this model before (it's hard not to use duplicates if you want to build units for 8th edition) so I spent a little more time on this skeleton and gave him a tartan cloak and red hair to go with it 8)

There you go, I hope you like the models and to top it all off here's the final group shot:

Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Mikael Jacsen and his Grave Guard [PICS]
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 07:42:09 PM »
 That is a very cool conversion.The painting is also great.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 07:45:09 PM »
Great conversion - that group shot looks spectacular.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:19:20 PM »
Very nice Arjen  :)

I must say, I am not a user of inks (other than in biros), but that orange ink on the armour does produce a very interesting rusty finish...  ::)

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Societŕ di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:29:56 PM »
He looks like a smooth criminal!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
Brilliant conversion and what a money saver!  :D

Top knotch - and the tartan is an especially nice touch - note to self - do not get interested in MacDeath miniatures...  ;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »
Great conversion and paint work  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 02:56:54 PM »
Thanks all! I'm pretty pleased with the conversion and the paint job myself. Even though the armour of Jacsen is pretty simple the flaming hair and eyes really make him stand out.

Very nice Arjen  :)

I must say, I am not a user of inks (other than in biros), but that orange ink on the armour does produce a very interesting rusty finish...  ::)

Thanks! Ever since I started painting I've been using a lot of washes and drybrushes to get detailing on parts of the model without having to really pay attention to all the details. It works well for lazy me. 8)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
It's a great conversion, Pil! Especially like the paintjob on the hair!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Bloodysword

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 02:09:25 AM »
What an excellent conversion.  It looks professional.  I love the paint you put on him as well.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 02:35:58 AM »
Nice stuff Pil :) It would be great to see all your fantasy minis together 8)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 07:14:30 AM »
Awesome.  ;D
Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
VERY NICELY DONE! I think your version of M.J. might be better than the original. As always, your Living Impaired Lads are a visual treat.

Looking at the cool minis in the cover shot, I wonder where G.W.went wrong.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »
Thanks all! It's of course especially nice to hear that some people prefer my conversion over the original model  :D

Nice stuff Pil :) It would be great to see all your fantasy minis together 8)

Thanks, I do intend to do a re-shoot of my entire undead army sometime. However, I think I will add to it some more first. With the new Tomb Kings book coming out I have to paint more chariots and I still have so many other nice models to paint, so for now no new army shots.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 12:45:47 AM »
GREAT JOB!

But as I recall, Jacsen was the leader of a band of ZOMBIES in the attack at Bogel's farm.  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)