Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:26:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

?

Patria, Dios, Rey (Lt.Hazel)
Compagnies Franches de la Marine in NE America, 1755 (Silent Invader)

Author Topic: ROUND 8 Patria, Dios, Rey vs Compagnies Franches de la Marine in NE America 1755  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
?

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
I can`t exactly put my finger on it, but ever since I started participating and following the League, I`ve been a fan of Silent Invaders style.  This one is a tough choice though, I`m gonna ponder over it a while before casting my vote

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
I`ve been a fan of Silent Invaders style.  

Well thank you  :D

I have to say, though, that I am trying real hard to replicate the technique of another LAFer, that master of the brush, our very own Captain Blood.

See his painting tutorial here:

http://www.sdean-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25706&start=15

My approach is now the same except that

(1) I undercoat mid grey then first coat with slightly thinned black, so that the highlights show through
(2) I don't use a wet palette as I didn't get on with it but use Pringles lids as their dip to the side holds moisture for re-wetting, also I paint about 6 figures at a time so find I need more volume of paint
(3) I mix with off-white rather than white - I don't have the Captain's artisitic eye and with white I would often get carried away

I started using this technique one week before the first LPL deadline and have been learning and adjusting over the last 8 weeks.  It takes about 3 hours to paint a figure at the mo but I reckon that as I get better (ie, have to correct fewer mistakes) I can get it down to 2 hours.

Naturally I am not claiming the same result as the good captain but I think the quality of my output has seen a huge improvement.... a comparison with my de la Marine in last year's LPL really shows the difference.

Anyways, good luck Lt Hazel ;) :D

EDIT:

PS: Should have said for those interested, the figures are all by Conquest from a mix of packs, a number of minor conversions to put the officer in a tricorn and all of the men in bonnets du police, plus one man was wearing a sleeveless tunic that is now a hooded capote.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:23:28 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
A very hard match and with a suitably exciting score! I like both entries, the painting quality seems about equal and the themes are not very different either. The horses are very nice but in the end I think I chose for the emotion in the second entry as the tired face of the guy with the moustache in SI's entry won it over for me.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Without a doubt the hardest match!
My two favorite periods (SCW and FIW) and two excellent entries.
In the end I went for the SCW entry simply because most of the figures were conversions as well.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
Without a doubt the hardest match!
My two favorite periods (SCW and FIW) and two excellent entries.
In the end I went for the SCW entry simply because most of the figures were conversions as well.

That´s right. The cavalry comes with helmets so I swept one head and modelled berets to the others. The Priest raising a cross is my favourite miniature in my collection. Paul Hicks sculpted him exclusivly for me 3 years ago (just to show off a little bit..)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain

Just to clarify, most of the FIW are conversions too!  ;)  :D

From left to right of the line up....

(2) GS bonnet du police to replace tricorn
(3) GS hooded capote to replace sleeveless jerkin
(4) Metal tricorn to replace bonnet du police
(7) GS bonnet du police to replace knitted cap

No horses though!   lol

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Very well done Lt..... had me on the edge of my seat, what with the votes being a 7-14 difference pretty much throughout.  I can't deny I hoped and hoped for an extra 2 to squeeze a draw but well done to you.   :D

And an exclusive Paul Hicks ..... most impressive.  ;D

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
That was damn close mate! Thank you for a exciting Match.