Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:46:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691273
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Galloping Major Kickstarter: "Compagnies Franches de la Marine"  (Read 10586 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Galloping Major Kickstarter: "Compagnies Franches de la Marine"
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
I think those pictures are in one of the Osprey books. Nice inspiration :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »
No doubt whatever you say will be wrong, he sounds like one who won't take it lightly!

I'm sure you're right Nick, "he sounds like one who won't take it lightly!" good euphamism for the sort of person he has clearly demonstrated himself to be  ;) :D

However, I have posted an update and a response (take a dekko) - no doubt he will respond with bluster demonstrating his ability to turn a blind eye to the results of all the extensive research published over the last three decades and more. As a gentleman, I shall do my best to ignore the fellow, and resist the urge to waste more time engaging in any further discourse with him.  >:( ???  lol

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2017, 11:31:53 PM »
Wise words and a sensible course of action no doubt. ;)

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2017, 01:21:02 AM »
My limited but reasonable (over about 3 years)  research into the Marines has lead me to believe that had more variation than any other unit. Simply because they were stationed in more areas.

Those in the cities of Quebec and Montreal would wear the formal uniforms and those out West that had been there for a long time tended to acquire bits of native clothing to add to various fatigue gear - no doubt keeping their best uniforms for the visit once every 5 years from the city :)

Unfortunately a lot of pictures and painting are no accurate - artistic license etc but their are first hand accounts of the dress if you look hard enough.

The initial figures posted did look like one of the 3 Militia regts - which all  had colour coordinated tuques.
I am sure in winter some Marines may have worn them too.

More variety the better as far as I am concerned for Marines.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2017, 01:53:05 AM »
I'm sure you're right Nick, "he sounds like one who won't take it lightly!" good euphamism for the sort of person he has clearly demonstrated himself to be  ;) :D

However, I have posted an update and a response (take a dekko) - no doubt he will respond with bluster demonstrating his ability to turn a blind eye to the results of all the extensive research published over the last three decades and more. As a gentleman, I shall do my best to ignore the fellow, and resist the urge to waste more time engaging in any further discourse with him.  >:( ???  lol

Lance, I was holding off on your Kickstarter, since my F&I War project has been on the back burner, but your riposte on TMP inspired me to jump in! As I noted in the Kickstarter comments section, I can tell you from past experience that if you really want to get this guy's goat, start selling packs of French militia as "coureur de bois!"

Mike

PS: I second Dr De'Ath's recommendation of Fort Ligonier: every time we venture into Pennsylvania we go to the wonderful little town (village?) of Ligonier: I drop my wife off at Kathy's Kreations yarn shop then head for the Fort. Highly recommended.
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »
My limited but reasonable (over about 3 years)  research into the Marines has lead me to believe that had more variation than any other unit. Simply because they were stationed in more areas.

Those in the cities of Quebec and Montreal would wear the formal uniforms and those out West that had been there for a long time tended to acquire bits of native clothing to add to various fatigue gear - no doubt keeping their best uniforms for the visit once every 5 years from the city :)

Unfortunately a lot of pictures and painting are no accurate - artistic license etc but their are first hand accounts of the dress if you look hard enough.

The initial figures posted did look like one of the 3 Militia regts - which all  had colour coordinated tuques.
I am sure in winter some Marines may have worn them too.

More variety the better as far as I am concerned for Marines.

Thanks Oabee, you are so right, the Compagnies Franches had more different styles of dress than any other French unit, not only that, but they appeared in more places and were much greater in number than any other troop type with the exception of the milice, so I'm with you, the more variety the better.  8)

One thing I would add regarding the wearing of tuques, they were a very common and inexpensive form of headwear worn throughout the French colonies in North America, especially for work wear; it very naturally quickly also became the common headwear for the milice (other than the small and mostly sedentary and generally much "better off" city units). As demonstrated in the quote below tuques were an issue item within La Marine in 1757 - and would therefore be more likely to be in the same or similar colours within a company than they would in the milice who mustered in their own clothing and the hats they wore for their daily work on the land, in boats etc, and no doubt in most cases home produced. As it was not until 1759 that the regionalised "colour coding" of tuques for milice was introduced, that kind of seems to put the "shoe" onto "the other foot" when it comes to La Marine in same coloured tuques being confused with Milice. I would say that as this is an easily recognisable way of differentiating the units of milice for the last couple of years of the war, it has become something of an easy way of compmartmentalising them throughout the period for many of us on the games table (including me ;) ).

Quoted from "LA MARINE The French Soldier in Colonial Canada 1745-1761" by Andrew Gallup and Donald F. Shaffer published by Heritage Books, 2008:
"Perhaps nothing is more French Canadian than the Tuque, a woolen stocking cap. The marine had access to this headgear. The Tuque was an issue item in 1757 (Bougainville 1964:87). They were made in various weights, "single caps" or "double caps". They came in various colors, blue and scarlet being most popular. Tuques were knitted as tubes. An example from the Machault cargo is of two-ply yarn knitted in stocking stitch (Hanson 1981:11. Sullivan 1986:82)."

I would highly recommend this book as an introduction for anyone wishing to learn more about the material culture of the Compagnies Franches de la Marine. It details everything from hats to shoes and razors to fortifications.

Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:35:24 AM by Galloping Major »

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2017, 12:15:04 PM »
Thankfully I've avoided the drama on TMP, however I'm greatful for the extra discussion about uniforms here.

I've also backed for one of everything (I think).

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2017, 10:31:29 AM »
Lance, I was holding off on your Kickstarter, since my F&I War project has been on the back burner, but your riposte on TMP inspired me to jump in! As I noted in the Kickstarter comments section, I can tell you from past experience that if you really want to get this guy's goat, start selling packs of French militia as "coureur de bois!"

Mike

PS: I second Dr De'Ath's recommendation of Fort Ligonier: every time we venture into Pennsylvania we go to the wonderful little town (village?) of Ligonier: I drop my wife off at Kathy's Kreations yarn shop then head for the Fort. Highly recommended.

Thanks Mike, so even "know it alls" and "the hard of thinking" attempting a spoiler on a project can turn out helpful :D despite their best efforts.

"Coureur de Bois" - I must admit that term does get a lot of mis-use for what were basically milice from the less settled, further flung areas of New France, but that sounds like a good enough reason to release at least one pack of them at some time - I made some very rough sketches for some a while back, I'll have to move them up the list a bit  ;)

Yes, Ligonier is one of the places I would love to visit  8)

Folnjir - very wise too :D this in the place to be for an altogether better class of conversation  ;D

Cheers,
Lance

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2017, 04:50:59 AM »
[...]
"Coureur de Bois" - I must admit that term does get a lot of mis-use for what were basically milice from the less settled, further flung areas of New France, but that sounds like a good enough reason to release at least one pack of them at some time - I made some very rough sketches for some a while back, I'll have to move them up the list a bit  ;)
[...]
Cheers,
Lance

Most every set FIW skirmish rules uses the name to describe expert skirmishers.  I don't see any problem in using the name.

I had a question about the command packs.  I'd like to add the Flags of War flags for the command packs that I've pledged.   Will all of the command packs (outpost, veste, coat) have ensigns to carry flags ?   I know the command pack in coats will need a flag, but I don't know about the other two packs.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:53:24 AM by RC_Robert »

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »
Most every set FIW skirmish rules uses the name to describe expert skirmishers.  I don't see any problem in using the name.

I had a question about the command packs.  I'd like to add the Flags of War flags for the command packs that I've pledged.   Will all of the command packs (outpost, veste, coat) have ensigns to carry flags ?   I know the command pack in coats will need a flag, but I don't know about the other two packs.

Only the pack 'FIW FCF10: Compagnies Franches de la Marine Command pack in coats' will contain two ensigns for the flags. Sorry for not making that clear  :)

Cheers,
Lance

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2017, 07:19:53 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up.   You first listed flags with the marines in coats stretch goal, but I wasn't sure.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2017, 10:04:53 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up.   You first listed flags with the marines in coats stretch goal, but I wasn't sure.

You're most welcome  8)

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »
My quick concept sketch of the figure I'll be sculpting to accompany pledges of 4 packs or more from Stretch Goal 2 - if we hit that stretch goal  ::).
He is a Compagnies Franches officer in capote and mitasses. As there is no command pack planned for the La Marine in capotes, this little character should prove pretty useful.

We have 5 days to go to hit that second stretch goal, and at the time of writing £656 of pledges more needed to secure the following packs:

FIW FCF11: Compagnies Franches de la Marine in capotes and bonnets.

FIW FCF12: Compagnies Franches de la Marine in capotes and tuques.

FIW FCF13: Compagnies Franches de la Marine in coats advancing.

Fingers crossed  :)

Lance

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:20:07 AM by Galloping Major »

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »
Very nice all that it deserves a song  ;)

“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »
Lovely figure. I'll add my extra pledge at the weekend when I get back from holidays. ;)